Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Orthos Prime, or Tipedo Prime

(PSN)BlazeFire1010

Question

6 answers to this question

The main drawback to Tipedo Prime in comparison to the Orthos Prime (at least that I can tell) is that Tipedo Prime has noticeably less base range. If that’s not an issue for you, then by all means feel free to switch as in pretty much all other categories Tipedo Prime seems to be superior (at least in my opinion).

More specifically Tipedo Prime has more crit chance (10% vs 24%), a higher crit damage multiplier (2x vs 2.4x), more status (15% vs 24%) and higher base damage (65 vs 76). Orthos Prime has higher block resist (85% vs 60%) and a larger slam attack damage radius (10m vs 6m) with a chance of proccing blast if the wiki is correct. Both weapons have the same attack speed (1.17).

Of course Tipedo Prime is a staff while Orthos Prime is a polearm, so your preference for each weapon type and their relative stances might also be something consider. Hope some of that helps.

Edited by FrostPrime
Clarified some bits

2 hours ago, FrostPrime said:

The main drawback to Tipedo Prime in comparison to the Orthos Prime (at least that I can tell) is that Tipedo Prime has noticeably less base range. If that’s not an issue for you, then by all means feel free to switch as in pretty much all other categories Tipedo Prime seems to be superior (at least in my opinion).

More specifically Tipedo Prime has more crit chance (10% vs 24%), a higher crit damage multiplier (2x vs 2.4x), more status (15% vs 24%) and higher base damage (65 vs 76). Orthos Prime has higher block resist (85% vs 60%) and a larger slam attack damage radius (10m vs 6m) with a chance of proccing blast if the wiki is correct. Both weapons have the same attack speed (1.17).

Of course Tipedo Prime is a staff while Orthos Prime is a polearm, so your preference for each weapon type and their relative stances might also be something consider. Hope some of that helps.

Thx! Also, if I’m going to use Loki Prime, should I use Orthos Prime, or Tipedo Prime?

18 minutes ago, (PS4)BlazeFire1010 said:

Thx! Also, if I’m going to use Loki Prime, should I use Orthos Prime, or Tipedo Prime?

Honestly, it depends on how you’re planning on using the weapon. If you’re going to be using lots of slide attacks to clear groups then Orthos Prime has the obvious range advantage. If you’re planning on using combos to kill heavier targets then Tipedo Prime has the DPS advantage. If you’re planning on spamming stealth attack finishers then both are fairly interchangeable in my opinion, though Orthos might have slightly faster finisher animations if I recall correctly.

Both are quite viable, though I imagine Tipedo will scale better into higher level content in exchange for less range. 

1 hour ago, FrostPrime said:

If you’re planning on spamming stealth attack finishers then both are fairly interchangeable in my opinion, though Orthos might have slightly faster finisher animations if I recall correctly.

Quick correction for you. Base speed of weapon doesn't affect finishers. Only attack speed mods work at cap of 50% attack speed (but no berserker, has to be static like Fury) and type of weapon does.

Edited by zoffmode

16 hours ago, zoffmode said:

Quick correction for you. Base speed of weapon doesn't affect finishers. Only attack speed mods work at cap of 50% attack speed (but no berserker, has to be static like Fury) and type of weapon does.

Apologies for not being clear, I was referring to how Orthos has different finisher animations compared to Tipedo, as the former is a polearm and the latter is a stave.

• Like 1

Tipedo has a couple of disadvantages actually. 

1) DPS is stronger only on paper

Tipedo deals more damage only if you do not consider the stance. The first 2 sequences of the polearm stances tend to headshot pretty reliably. If you build crit on the orthos (which is feasible) that 4x multiplier is incredibly powerful and tips the scale quite heavily. 

2) Staves have terrible range

Which in turn means they are terrible for maiming strike builds, and also that they have way lower KPS compared to the 10m monstrosity the Orthos can achieve, more if you have spring loaded blade. 

From a pure optimization perspective, the range advantage is so high there is no comparison to be had. Tipedo might have better single target DPS, but orthos is hitting literally everything in front of you while Tipedo can only reach the enemy immediately adjacent to you.

Also, if you run mainly Loki the Orthos has better value because you can hit from further away, thus allowing you to not risk resetting stealth modifiers by bumping into things. 

That said, staves and polearms are different enough you can justify keeping both imo. 

Edited by Autongnosis