Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Better Tank/solo - Frost Or Rhino?

Ragewolf

I play with 3 of my friends most of the time. I want to go for one of the tanks but am not sure which is more viable. Just wondering what I should know before picking between the two. Ive been playing Ash, fun as hell, but shuriken and tele are rather useless, and bladestorm is now putting me in ceilings most of the time after the recent patch.

Im looking for these types of issues.Both of their skill sets seem very useful all around. Not sure about Frost's freeze skill though, possible solo, or if it works on bosses, ect. thats the info im looking for. As well as if any skills are useless. Any thoughts and opinions appreciated. ty

Edit: Im looking to play Tank/Support while in squads, as well as solo efficiently, which would be best for this?

Edited by Ragewolf

Rhino:

1 Skill - line of death, very good

2 Skill - personal defense, long enough, good

3 and 4 Skill - mediocre control, awfull damage, not cost efficient

Frost:

1 Skill - cheap 1 target control-damage, good for elites (but not bosses)

2 Skill - useless

3 Skill - inpenetratable bubble of slow - very good, works on all in it

4 Skill - wave of death and control - awesome

Also have more mods and better alternative head

Both:

Very sloooow

So:

1 very good + 1 good against 1 good, 1 very good and 1 awesome + a bit more.

P.S. To use skills effective Rhino needs power duration, Frost power range. Second is less rare. Both needs power efficiency (at least 60%).

Edited by Turbine

Frost is better for team support tank. His 1st is uselful but not always. his 2nd is total &#! and best to ignore if you can. His 3rd is great. The skill cost 50, I think, It's a large AOE barrier that block every bullet from the outside and slow the enemies inside by 70%-ish. Not to mention his Ultimate is quiet good (Amongst the best ult in the game) in defense mission (But most effective on Infested).

His mobility might put you off though becuase Frost, Rhino and Trinity move slower than other frame becuase of their armor (But trinity got low armor for some reason). Unless your friends are good teammates, prepare to run at 70% movement speed without getting to kill anything because you won't be able to keep up with anything.

On the other hand, as a Rhino Player, I can say he's a beast and better in solo play. Gonna need to mention that his 3rd and 4th skill are pretty useless (your 1st skill can do better and cost MUCH LESS), but his 2nd skill is one of the most powerful skill in the game as it give him invincibity for around 10 or more second. As a result, it is easy to build Rhino as you can forgo 3rd and 4th skill for mod slots and 1st and 2nd skill.

Also Rhino 1st and 2nd skill benefit quiet a lot from Power Duration mod. Duration mod increase the range of his dash and shoot him across the map allow him to be in front and keep up with his team, and 2 druation mod allow his 2nd skill to last over half a min and let you do anything you want.

Edited by Redler

Rhino:

1 Skill - line of death, very good

2 Skill - personal defense, long enough, good

3 and 4 Skill - mediocre control, awfull damage, not cost efficient

Frost:

1 Skill - cheap 1 target control-damage, good for elites (but not bosses)

2 Skill - useless

3 Skill - inpenetratable bubble of slow - very good, works on all in it

4 Skill - wave of death and control - awesome

Also have more mods and better alternative head

Both:

Very sloooow

So:

1 very good + 1 good against 1 good, 1 very good and 1 awesome + a bit more.

P.S. To use skills effective Rhino needs power duration, Frost power range. Second is less rare. Both needs power efficiency (at least 60%).

This was kind of my assumption. To me, i see Frost as having more support obviously, but if his 2 isnt good and with the single target 1, his damage has to be majorly lacking compared to Rhino. I was hoping to be Sub-Zero for a bit =/

Rhino seems like straight tank/dps, and would appear to be better at soloing from what you said. Frost seems like the better support but damage=fun so i guess ill go with Rhino and just bullet-sponge support or something.

This was kind of my assumption. To me, i see Frost as having more support obviously, but if his 2 isnt good and with the single target 1, his damage has to be majorly lacking compared to Rhino. I was hoping to be Sub-Zero for a bit =/

Rhino seems like straight tank/dps, and would appear to be better at soloing from what you said. Frost seems like the better support but damage=fun so i guess ill go with Rhino and just bullet-sponge support or something.

Get a shotgun and your Rhino will be a great support (mitigate damage by killing enemy before they get to shoot, definitely viable especially for Rhino :P)

Thanks Turbine and Redler, just the info i needed. I really like the idea of Frost and how he can support with 3 but everything else seems lacking and far slower than Rhino. Rhino just seems like he'd keep up despite being a tank, while with Frost your gona be working to keep up and deal any damage. My friends wait, only after everything nearby is dead lol.

They are the "same" tanks (hp, armor, shields, aslo Frost have more armor with alt head), but Frost can do more and be not only hit dummy.

And as it said - you SLOW. Noone will wait untill u come and take aggro. Space ninjas not wait for dummies - they kill.

Also imagine - 15 mobs around your teammates, blood, screams. And you just come. What you can with Rhino? You already lost opportunity to take aggro. And noone need your invulnerability - noone will hit you, because they already have fun by torturing your teammates.

What you can do with Frost? Save party/cryopod by 3rd ability. Kill/freeze ALL around by 4th ability.

P.S. Frost's 3rd costs 50, not 75.

If there were 20 mobs in a room jumping my teammates and i wasnt there, i would get there and everything would be dead. And because i mainly play with 3 people atm, i know them IRL and know theyll wait to a degree. Rhino's 2 while reviving and the mobility with 1 and power duration just seem more fun to me.

Frost would certainly be the better support, but from the descriptions id rather play Rhino and smash through everything rather than have two useful support skills with Frost. I would support better, but i dont think i would enjoy it as much going from pure dmg Ash to Frost.

As well as Rhino seems far more capable of soloing.

Edited by Ragewolf

They are the "same" tanks (hp, armor, shields, aslo Frost have more armor with alt head), but Frost can do more and be not only hit dummy.

And as it said - you SLOW. Noone will wait untill u come and take aggro. Space ninjas not wait for dummies - they kill.

That would also apply to Frost though, he won't get to use any of his skill becuase we won't be able to run after his team. Only place he shine is defense mission where no one can run ahead.

Also imagine - 15 mobs around your teammates, blood, screams. And you just come. What you can with Rhino? You already lost opportunity to take aggro. And noone need your invulnerability - noone will hit you, because they already have fun by torturing your teammates.

What you can do with Frost? Save party/cryopod by 3rd ability. Kill/freeze ALL around by 4th ability.

Okay, I imagining. Playing Rhino. 15 mobs vs me. Press 1.

They are either dead or three-quarter dead lying on the floor for me and my team to kill.

Also, I'm pretty sure his team won't be so incompetent that they can't fight 15 mobs... I hope (unless they are all Volt, they should be fine).

That game not about pure damagers, tanks healers and so. That game about space ninjas. And you not need min-max here. You need to have ANOUGH efficiency, but more than one tactic.

With Rhino without rare mods (+ sprint, +duration) you'll just run with 1st skill and kill with your weapons. Sometimes 2nd skill. With frost you can come and in onetime finish all massssacre :)

So you can do near any job by any frame. Difference in time and mana costs. Frost can do all jobs faster and in less mana cost.

That would also apply to Frost though, he won't get to use any of his skill becuase we won't be able to run after his team. Only place he shine is defense mission where no one can run ahead.

With right Frost you not need to be first - you can kill full room from distance :) So you look at your radar. More then 5 mobs? Press 4, go further.

Okay, I imagining. Playing Rhino. 15 mobs vs me. Press 1.

Not in one straight line. They come from different directions, sit behind covers.

Also, I'm pretty sure his team won't be so incompetent that they can't fight 15 mobs... I hope (unless they are all Volt, they should be fine).

So what for you need tank? In such way you need to kill them faster so. Take something more usable. Not only Frost.

Also if you want to do blood, screams and flesh around by manual - take Nyx. Cast chaos and dominate battlefield with your friends.

With right Frost you not need to be first - you can kill full room from distance :) So you look at your radar. More then 5 mobs? Press 4, go further.

Not in one straight line. They come from different directions, sit behind covers.

So what for you need tank? In such way you need to kill them faster so. Take something more usable. Not only Frost.

Also if you want to do blood, screams and flesh around by manual - take Nyx. Cast chaos and dominate battlefield with your friends.

1) Yeah... if you are actually a room behind them. Maybe they will leave some grinders for you to play with.

2) Press 2. Ammo to faces. Even less aimming than before.

3)Then there is no need for Rhino and Frost now. Everybody, let's sell both warframe and get any other one. Maybe Trinity (DONT take Trinity)

I farmed the Frost BP's soloing with Rhino, cause is the only frame wich let me 1 vs 1 the boss without taking any damage and not wasting time looking for a cover, thanks due his second ability ofcourse. But still i dont like his abilities in terms of damage -almost 0 on lvl 30+ enemies compared to others, the reason to give a try on Frost by my side. And despite someone says that he as control of the ground -is not true. Push enemies down for 3 seconds is not a good concept of ground control or crowd control. I see the AoE safe field of Frost - his first skill wich freezes enemies/boss and his "ultimate" wich wipes easly the low health/armor treaths almost istantly, far more usefull of 1 skill worth the energy consumption on Rhino, for myself and obviously the group. Just my thoughts on the comparison Frost - Rhino. ^ ^

Edited by fatalis92

Do you know, that Loki > Rhino in many roles?

1. Tanking. Loki can tank all mobs around. Even take aggro from other targets. Even from great distance. Even cheaper. How? Decoy!

2. Selfprotection. Not only invulnerable - but also not targeted! Also mobs not run around - just waiting your hits.

3. Movement. Loki very fast. Loki can switch-witch teleport with enemy, friend, decoy. Can put boss it more suitable position. Can save teammate or unstuck him.

4. Trolling. Loki can switch-witch with any *itch. Loki can disarm moas and they all become melee and can wipe full party.

5. Damage. Bonus crit chance and red crits in invis.

6. Mods. MORE MORE MORE mods.

7. Head. 15% power efficiency from alt head. Also with trollface :)

P.S. I also tryed to farm with Rhino, but then i found that with Loki it is faster and more efficient!

Edited by Turbine

On Ash my shuriken is barely useful in high level areas, its just a waste of energy.

Rhino's skill despite being low dmg at higher levels at least it has an effect and a use. I could see that being really helpful in infestion maps, where using my ninja star is a complete waste.

Iron Skin is just good, hands down.

I could see Radial Blast being useless (obviously still havnt played him yet myself) as people have said. Does it really have no use? I won't be surprised just making sure.

His Ult still seems awesome to me, even if the damage isnt great, the idea is pretty sick imo. Havn't used it obviously, but have seen vids of people hacking and slashing at people held in mid air and 1 slash finishing them off. That works for me and seems like a good CC ability that could help my teammates similar to Mag ult. But instead my team could help me shoot/slash them out of the air, instead of Mag dropping their faces off. If his ult doesnt work like this end game let me know. As people have noted to build power duration, i would guess that would effect the stasis of his ult as well?

Do you know, that Loki > Rhino in many roles?

1. Tanking. Loki can tank all mobs around. Even take aggro from other targets. Even from great distance. Even cheaper. How? Decoy!

2. Selfprotection. Not only invulnerable - but also not targeted! Also mobs not run around - just waiting your hits.

3. Movement. Loki very fast. Loki can switch-witch teleport with enemy, friend, decoy. Can put boss it more suitable position. Can save teammate or unstuck him.

4. Trolling. Loki can switch-witch with any *itch. Loki can disarm moas and they all become melee and can wipe full party.

5. Damage. Bonus crit chance and red crits in invis.

6. Mods. MORE MORE MORE mods.

7. Head. 15% power efficiency from alt head. Also with trollface :)

P.S. I also tryed to farm with Rhino, but then i found that with Loki it is faster and more efficient!

That's why Loki is the second best Warframe of them all after Rhino when it comes to safety, damage and utility.

Rhino is still 1st place when fitted with duration and a Fragor for melee focused play because Iron Skin > invisibility .. Toxic Ancients no problem. Fragor does the AE "taunt" via damage and elemental effect application and kills the big guys fast and save. Charge lets you always be where you are needed and Rhino Stomp is a great AE save for your teammates to revive or take some pressure off.

Rhino has only 1 good ability, Iron Skin. His charge is a minor CC at best. Other than the knockdown, its only utility is as a means of mobility, which is only necessary due to the nerf to movement speed. Having no effective offensive abiilties,

Frost is also slow, but has many more useful skills. You run out of ammo with Rhino and you're screwed. You run out of ammo with Frost and you can still pop your ultimate to clear the room.

Ash was my first warframe, and my main issue with him was that only Smoke Screen and Bladestorm were useful. Ninja star is a crazy skill shot that misses and clips on the side of cover and wastes energy for barely any damage. My aim is to get a warframe where ill WANT to use at least 3 of skills.

1 - Is Freeze similar to Ash's Ninja star? Pinpoint skillshot or easier to land? I still like it more cause at least it has CC use. Effected by Power Duration?

2 - Looked like a sick skill, but everyone says useless, so i guess skip. Any worth on a particular mob like low armor infested or not worth at all?

3 - Epic, done

4 - Effective? Bladestorm was a bit glitchy, does Avalanche have good targeting? Does it reach things behind cover/walls like Bladestorm or is it like Mag's ult?

If 1,3, and 4 are worth using, i think ill try Frost. Sprint Speed mod worth using to help him keep up?

Edited by Ragewolf

1. Point and use. Not need any other actions. Cryos destroyed by attacks also. But it is good against commanders and other hard bad things.

2. Cost to much to be good.

3. Yep

4. Effective, do 1000 damage - armor, but take a bit time to take effect. But after use freeze all around, so that time all of them are statues.