Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Temporary Freeze On Missions

Call_Me_Snort

Apparently, this problem only happens when I attempt to play a multiplayer game.

The issue goes as follows:

1. Start Warframe, log in;
  2. Go to navigation;
  3. Join mission with public squads (or friends only if i'm playing with a friend) on;
  4. Mission starts loading for about <2 seconds
  5. Game freezes (I can hear background audio, but my ship flying is frozen. The bar doesn't move from 0)
  6. After about 1~2 minutes, the game starts running again. Bar jumps from 0 to 80% and in <5 seconds finishes loading, only to tell me I lost connection to host.

Before y'all say that it's a spec/internet issue, I don't think so. Any other multiplayer game works fine, internet is simply not a problem on games that are even more connection-hungry. As for specs, I can join a solo game in <10 sec, and the game runs smoothy enough to be playable without a single major problem.

My past solution for this was using DX9, but that's not a option anymore. Hopefully someone can tell me what to do, as I'm going insane with all these no-good-solutions I've already attempted

does it happen on every attempt to various missions?
your connection to the other persons machine/country could also be the factor in this issue.
Peer 2 Peer takes both ends into account. you can have the best machine and connection in the world, but if you connecting to the worst machine and connection in the world, your experience will be bad.

the fact that you say changing the DX version fixed your problem before, maybe it is the spec of your machine (mainly GPU). but i would rather not assume you have a bad machine. it was just an observation from experience.

depending on how long you have been using your operating system, it might do with a fresh install.
over time drivers and temp files tend to get cluttered and you start experiencing all sorts of problems that never happened before.
that is pretty much as a last resort. and i personally know how much of a pain that is to go through. (but i just put the suggestion out there)

Edited by 5p33dy_01

15 minutes ago, 5p33dy_01 said:

does it happen on every attempt to various missions?

Yeah. I recently tried being the host but the issue is still there, no matter what type of multiplayer we're talking about.

19 minutes ago, 5p33dy_01 said:

the fact that you say changing the DX version fixed your problem before, maybe it is the spec of your machine (mainly GPU). but i would rather not assume you have a bad machine. it was just an observation from experience.

depending on how long you have been using your operating system, it might do with a fresh install.
over time drivers and temp files tend to get cluttered and you start experiencing all sorts of problems that never happened before.
that is pretty much as a last resort. and i personally know how much of a pain that is to go through. (but i just put the suggestion out there)

My PC really isn't the best, in fact, it runs Warframe in the worst settings only. I was hoping to find a way to fix this without having to put any money on a new setup tho.

I don't see many options around this, I'll just have to upgrade my setup. Thanks for actually answering tho.

1 minute ago, Call_Me_Snort said:

Yeah. I recently tried being the host but the issue is still there, no matter what type of multiplayer we're talking about.

My PC really isn't the best, in fact, it runs Warframe in the worst settings only. I was hoping to find a way to fix this without having to put any money on a new setup tho.

I don't see many options around this, I'll just have to upgrade my setup.

before you go trying to do something drastic, like buying a whole new setup. give a fresh install a try.

it could even be something as simple as a driver needing to be updated.

if you've been using your machine for a long time (1-2 years+) without a reinstall, then i would recommend doing that and installing the latest drivers.
you will have removed a lot of system clutter and maybe even be surprised at the difference in performance.

if solo play is smooth, it seems more like operating system or driver issue.

3 minutes ago, Call_Me_Snort said:

Thanks for actually answering tho.

you're more than welcome.

Been happening to me since the update last weekend. I play on a pretty boss beast, triple monitor setup, so I'm reasonably sure it's not the system. Last night I turned it down to one monitor, my center Predator XB1 with Gsync https://www.newegg.com/black-acer-predator-xb1-xb271hu-27/p/N82E16824106004 @165hz and it did it to me twice even after that. I maintain 2 separate clients, one for steam access to tennogen and my discord install that I actively  launch from most times and it does it on both. Was thinking about doing a system wipe for the hell of it and seeing where that got me, but warframe HATES anything but a direct install. Trying to sideload the game from a USB stick onto other systems in the past hasn't turned out well. If you find a solution, please post it, before I just completely wipe and re-download this weekend...

On 2019-05-30 at 3:10 PM, 5p33dy_01 said:

before you go trying to do something drastic, like buying a whole new setup. give a fresh install a try.

it could even be something as simple as a driver needing to be updated.

if you've been using your machine for a long time (1-2 years+) without a reinstall, then i would recommend doing that and installing the latest drivers.
you will have removed a lot of system clutter and maybe even be surprised at the difference in performance.

if solo play is smooth, it seems more like operating system or driver issue.

Well, I did a fresh install, but the result still ends up as the same as before, if not a little worse. The freeze is still there, and now it also affects solo play. (I can complete missions like normal, at least)

I don't see what else I could do. I'll keep Warframe installed and perhaps play solo until I get a new setup or find a working solution for me. Thanks for the help, if I find anything I'll post it here.

On 2019-05-30 at 9:34 PM, M3tallius said:

Been happening to me since the update last weekend. I play on a pretty boss beast, triple monitor setup, so I'm reasonably sure it's not the system.

i was just suggesting that as a last resort.... reinstalling the game, or updating/reinstalling graphics drivers, should have been done before that.

im not sure what was changed in terms of how it loads or if there was any increase in hardware demand.

i do know that it runs fine on my machine and most others, thats why this issue wasnt brought up sooner.
but i am running a pretty beastly machine with all settings on max, 32" screen 2k res, ssd, i7-8700, 16gb ddr4 ram, RadeonRX 580 graphics card with 8GB GDDR5 and 100mbps internet connection.

load time is 5sec or less on solo loading plains of eidolon and multiplayer goes up to roughly 30sec, mainly due to waiting on others to load, the point in the mission (more content makes it take longer, but 5sec more should be enough) and their connection speed.

7 hours ago, Call_Me_Snort said:

Well, I did a fresh install, but the result still ends up as the same as before, if not a little worse. The freeze is still there, and now it also affects solo play. (I can complete missions like normal, at least)

I don't see what else I could do. I'll keep Warframe installed and perhaps play solo until I get a new setup or find a working solution for me. Thanks for the help, if I find anything I'll post it here.

thats strange, i dont know why the problem would get worse.

are you using the same settings you had before?
what DX version have you got it set on?
and would you be able to give your graphics card model?
have you tried adding it to firewall settings or turning of your firewall?

other people have also had problems relating to the DX version like you initially specified was a solution before (but those were old 2018 issues).

the more information you provide on what machine you're running and what you have tried before, is more helpful on getting to the bottom of your problem.

Edited by 5p33dy_01

1 hour ago, 5p33dy_01 said:

are you using the same settings you had before?

Yeah, think so. I don't recall anything that I have done before FI (fresh install) after the FI

what DX version have you got it set on?

10, as I'm forced to. 11 is grayed out in launcher settings.

have you tried adding it to firewall settings or turning of your firewall?

Allowed in Firewall, Antivirus, created rules for UDP of all sorts allowing it to connect. It did make the problem a little better, as it doesn't freeze as long as before, but the freeze is still there, so that doesn't really help thar much.

and would you be able to give your graphics card model?

the more information you provide on what machine you're running and what you have tried before, is more helpful on getting to the bottom of your problem.

Graphics Card: Intel HD Graphics 3000

Processor: Intel Core I3-2370M 2.40GHz

4GB Ram

The specs are awful, I know. I'm surprised myself that this thing can even start Warframe, and even play it to be completely honest.

Oh yeah, running on a Windows 10 Pro.

As for stuff I have tried before, anything that would make Warframe run faster, such as resizing, setting to high priority, etc. Also tried any older solution I found myself online like trying full screen, etc

56 minutes ago, Call_Me_Snort said:

Yeah, think so. I don't recall anything that I have done before FI (fresh install) after the FI

10, as I'm forced to. 11 is grayed out in launcher settings.

Allowed in Firewall, Antivirus, created rules for UDP of all sorts allowing it to connect. It did make the problem a little better, as it doesn't freeze as long as before, but the freeze is still there, so that doesn't really help thar much.

4GB Ram

The specs are awful, I know. I'm surprised myself that this thing can even start Warframe, and even play it to be completely honest.

Ouch!...

that graphics card...

i had that until this year, i tried playing warframe on it and i just couldnt tolerate the bad performance.
i was also running i7-2630qm.

that graphics card is a huge factor in your performance.
i think if you take too long to load content, the game boots you out, which is why you have problems joining games.

even a very cheap desktop could probably do 10x better, just by having a dedicated graphics card.

if you can, try check if your HDD, ram or processor usage max out at 100% load for an extended period of time, when you try joining a game that would cause it to freeze.
this is just to see if there is anything else that could be done, instead of a whole new machine.

Edited by 5p33dy_01

57 minutes ago, 5p33dy_01 said:

Ouch!...

that graphics card...

57 minutes ago, 5p33dy_01 said:

that graphics card is a huge factor in your performance.
i think if you take too long to load content, the game boots you out, which is why you have problems joining games.

That seems logical.

58 minutes ago, 5p33dy_01 said:

if you can, try check if your HDD, ram or processor usage max out at 100% load for an extended period of time, when you try joining a game that would cause it to freeze.
this is just to see if there is anything else that could be done, instead of a whole new machine.

I hope so.

My processor stays at a 30-32% constant usage during the freeze and mostly during everything, except on startup, where it goes to 80% or so.

As for RAM, it uses a constant 80-100% usage from startup to freeze. I haven't tested inside a solo game, but if I had to guess, it would be the same usage, if not a bit less. I don't know if it's Warframe itself that makes my RAM explode tho, as it uses 50% while nothing is running.

13 minutes ago, Call_Me_Snort said:

My processor stays at a 30-32% constant usage during the freeze and mostly during everything, except on startup, where it goes to 80% or so.

seems fine, on startup it will use more to load content.

14 minutes ago, Call_Me_Snort said:

As for RAM, it uses a constant 80-100% usage from startup to freeze. I haven't tested inside a solo game, but if I had to guess, it would be the same usage, if not a bit less. I don't know if it's Warframe itself that makes my RAM explode tho, as it uses 50% while nothing is running.

that seems about right.
==================
from my experience
any OS past XP will happily use about 2GB alone, more depending on software and services installed after.

once you hit 75% ram usage, your performance starts to take a hit.
once you get to 100%, everything tries to use your page file, which runs off your HDD.

if you are insistent on trying to get more out of your pc without the bigger amount to replace the whole thing, you can

double your ram at least (to start off with)
i would recommend 8GB as an absolute minimum in any machine.
because the OS can go up to 4GB with various driver software and services
then web browsers can go way past 4GB alone, depending on tabs open, extensions and videos on websites.

for some extra performance
replace your HDD with an SSD (unless you've upgraded your HDD in the past, or got a laptop with an ssd, your current hdd would most likely be 5400rpm, that is actually pretty slow compared to the hybrid drives or ssd's you get now)
going from 5400rpm to 7200rpm hybrid drive, is already roughly 33% increase in performance... SSD is 5x more (depending on the ssd spec you get)

depending on which country you're in, this could be very cheap, or expensive. but regardless, still cheaper than a whole machine replacement.
================

your problem i would think has to do with running out of ram
this is why:
because it takes a long time for your system to try load more content, you're kicked out by the game.

i could be wrong, but when it comes to 100% ram usage, you will with no doubt have content loading issues.

11 hours ago, 5p33dy_01 said:

from my experience
any OS past XP will happily use about 2GB alone, more depending on software and services installed after.

once you hit 75% ram usage, your performance starts to take a hit.
once you get to 100%, everything tries to use your page file, which runs off your HDD.

if you are insistent on trying to get more out of your pc without the bigger amount to replace the whole thing, you can

double your ram at least (to start off with)
i would recommend 8GB as an absolute minimum in any machine.
because the OS can go up to 4GB with various driver software and services
then web browsers can go way past 4GB alone, depending on tabs open, extensions and videos on websites.

for some extra performance
replace your HDD with an SSD (unless you've upgraded your HDD in the past, or got a laptop with an ssd, your current hdd would most likely be 5400rpm, that is actually pretty slow compared to the hybrid drives or ssd's you get now)
going from 5400rpm to 7200rpm hybrid drive, is already roughly 33% increase in performance... SSD is 5x more (depending on the ssd spec you get)

depending on which country you're in, this could be very cheap, or expensive. but regardless, still cheaper than a whole machine replacement.
================

your problem i would think has to do with running out of ram
this is why:
because it takes a long time for your system to try load more content, you're kicked out by the game.

i could be wrong, but when it comes to 100% ram usage, you will with no doubt have content loading issues.

That seems fine. Just for the sake of curiosity, would it be possible to make my OS/Warframe take less RAM?

On another note, I'm not quite sure if I'll buy a new RAM, since I plan on replacing the computer as a whole by the end of this year. Not just because of Warframe, but other factors such as work and stuff. I'll need to see if it's worth the money, so I guess that's something new to think about.

7 minutes ago, Call_Me_Snort said:

That seems fine. Just for the sake of curiosity, would it be possible to make my OS/Warframe take less RAM?

it is, but it would take a fair amount of tinkering with services and visual effects.
you may be able to get the OS down to about 1-1.5GB

Enable FPS in-game and tell me your game ram usage in solo plains of eidolon

20 minutes ago, 5p33dy_01 said:

it is, but it would take a fair amount of tinkering with services and visual effects.
you may be able to get the OS down to about 1-1.5GB

With a bit of guidance, I wouldn't mind doing said tinkering.

20 minutes ago, 5p33dy_01 said:

Enable FPS in-game and tell me your game ram usage in solo plains of eidolon

Testing results. I made sure to have anything else closed, such as Discord and such during this. For the RAM usage, Windows say that it goes from 95-99% frequently.

2 minutes ago, Call_Me_Snort said:

Testing results. I made sure to have anything else closed, such as Discord and such during this. For the RAM usage, Windows say that it goes from 95-99% frequently.

Solo and multiplayer testing with the lowest/off settings and DX10, full screen 1280x720 res
plains of eidolon goes up to about 2.1GB on loading and then stays around 1.6GB
missions go up to about 1.5GB loading and then stay around 1GB to 1.3GB

same results with everything on high/max and DX11, 2k res

so there is no way to drop that usage from the game

if you're able to drop OS ram usage to about 1-1.5GB, you might manage to load into a game

11 minutes ago, Call_Me_Snort said:

With a bit of guidance, I wouldn't mind doing said tinkering.

this is dangerous, continue at your own peril.

right click "This PC"
click "advanced system settings" on the left
click "settings"
click "adjust for best performance"

click start click settings
search for "background apps"
turn off

disable/uninstall any third-party anti-virus and/or firewall

download, install and open
"windows 10 manager" from Yamicsoft
yes to create restore point
on the left under optimizer
click service manager
top left click optimize
disable everything and apply
close and then open system speed
under system
tick all options
save and close

startup manager
disable anything you dont need then close

on the left under security
click system security
click components tab
disable windows defender
diable cortana
disable onedrive integration
disable cd/dvd burning feature
disable problem steps recorder
disable file history (unless you use that)

restart and check your usage

if you're able to drop OS ram usage to about 1-1.5GB, you might manage to load into a game

[...]

restart and check your usage

Did everything you said, made some tests, the usage improved without a doubt (OS uses 30% now, and Warframe stays at a constant 92% usage.)

Not enough tho, I still can't log in a game without freezing.

I'm sorta done with researching and tweaking around now. I must thank you for all the help, even if It was not the result I wished for.

See you in Warframe by the end of the year, when I upgrade my setup, hopefully, and thank you for all the help.

Best of luck in your hunting, fellow Tenno!

19 hours ago, Call_Me_Snort said:

4GB Ram

Problem 1. Old intel Sandy Bridge graphics is probably not supported. My old intel i7-2600 graphics with 16 GB RAM also have the same problem. Freezing during loading in DX10 mode, but loads much faster on DX9 back then, until support was dropped from Warframe. The CPU itself works fine with newer PCI-E graphics. This might have something to do with old intel graphics completely lacks any shader cache at all, and very slow loading and initializing of DX10 Graphics shaders. No windows graphics driver update for Sandy Bridge graphics, looks like this graphics is no longer supported and have some problems with newer games and games with newer updates, like extremely slow load in Warframe.

Problem 2. RAM at 4 GB with only integrated graphics is mostly too small amount of RAM, especially for Free roam missions. Warframe might have worked mostly fine back then with 32 bit and DX9 that takes up less RAM. now we are forced into 64 bit and DX10.

Probably requires a newer computer to run Warframe to really speed up loading screen and not lose connection from slow loading. 8 GB RAM or more with Ryzen 2400g with integrated Vega 11 graphics is good enough for 1080p (1920x1080), about 50 FPS on free roam, with resolution scaling off. I guess for laptops/notebooks, Ryzen mobile with integrated Vega graphics may work as well, be sure to update graphics drivers for new computers.

3 hours ago, Call_Me_Snort said:

Did everything you said, made some tests, the usage improved without a doubt (OS uses 30% now, and Warframe stays at a constant 92% usage.)

Not enough tho, I still can't log in a game without freezing.

I'm sorta done with researching and tweaking around now. I must thank you for all the help, even if It was not the result I wished for.

See you in Warframe by the end of the year, when I upgrade my setup, hopefully, and thank you for all the help.

Best of luck in your hunting, fellow Tenno!

my pleasure.

best of luck to you too.

33 minutes ago, sam686 said:

Problem 1. Old intel Sandy Bridge graphics is probably not supported. My old intel i7-2600 graphics with 16 GB RAM also have the same problem. Freezing during loading in DX10 mode, but loads much faster on DX9 back then, until support was dropped from Warframe. The CPU itself works fine with newer PCI-E graphics. This might have something to do with old intel graphics completely lacks any shader cache at all, and very slow loading and initializing of DX10 Graphics shaders. No windows graphics driver update for Sandy Bridge graphics, looks like this graphics is no longer supported and have some problems with newer games and games with newer updates, like extremely slow load in Warframe.

Problem 2. RAM at 4 GB with only integrated graphics is mostly too small amount of RAM, especially for Free roam missions. Warframe might have worked mostly fine back then with 32 bit and DX9 that takes up less RAM. now we are forced into 64 bit and DX10.

Probably requires a newer computer to run Warframe to really speed up loading screen and not lose connection from slow loading. 8 GB RAM or more with Ryzen 2400g with integrated Vega 11 graphics is good enough for 1080p (1920x1080), about 50 FPS on free roam, with resolution scaling off. I guess for laptops/notebooks, Ryzen mobile with integrated Vega graphics may work as well, be sure to update graphics drivers for new computers.

the game plays in solo, just not with multiplayer.

intel hd 3000 supports dx10

its a laptop, no changing anything relating to graphics card, without a whole new system.

there is a few other things that could be done, its just hard (dont know whats running) and time consuming for me to do a full guide on a total system tweak.

An update to this. I didn't wind up re-installing this weekend after all, but I did manage to narrow down specific events that are causing it on my end at least, and perhaps yours as well. Walking away from the PC or alt tabbing out while talking to any NPC in Fortuna causes a hard freeze, that requires task manager to abort. When in POE or Fortuna if a screenblackout occurs, or on the Ropawhateverist fight, but you can still hear the sound, pressing 5 seems to cause things to redraw. Doesn't matter if I'm doing triple or single monitor, but all of those I can replicate with regularity now, so I dodged the problem for the weekend at least.

Additionally, pulling out a mining tool of either PoE or Fortuna causes major frame issues for 3 to 5 seconds, which is a completely new thing for me.