Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Will Neptune and Pluto ever get their own tilesets?

Wight_Trash

Of all planets on the starchart Pluto and Neptune feel the most neglected. Neither has a tileset of its own or even one that fits well. Gas City would work fine on Neptune except Neptune is not orange. The Corpus Ice Outpost would work fine for Pluto except pluto is very far from the sun and would have a dark sky and be darker in general.

Im aware of how long it takes to make tilesets, especially ones with the quality that the recent ones have. I don't expect these planets to get makovers in the near future, but I am curious to know if there are any plans to update these two planets one day? Also Pluto is a planet, do not correct me on that. It might not be one in technical terms, but it will always be one in our hearts if you believe hard enough.

23 minutes ago, TheSkeletonPolice said:

The Corpus Ice Outpost would work fine for Pluto except pluto is very far from the sun and would have a dark sky and be darker in general.

Quite on the contrary.

On Earth, during a sunny day, the illuminance is 10,000–25,000 Lux (depending on season and geographical position). As Pluto is 40 times further apart from the Sun, you can expect an illuminance of 1500 Lux (the illuminance, like all phenomena that can be described by a spherically symmetrical flux, decreases with the square of the distance). This is equivalent, more or less, to an overcast day. It would be three times as bright as a typical office/room light.

It's not as bright as Earth, but it's comfortably bright and not dark - we'd feel perfectly comfortable. The Sun itself would be almost point-like, and its illuminance while staring at it (~25000 Lux) would make direct viewing possible (although, probably, painful). For more info, see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lux

So, ironically, the Corpus Ice Planet seems to me to be perfectly compatible with Pluto - the light in the Corpus Ice Planet is quite dim. It is quite fitting that the Corpus Ice Planet is today only found on Venus (where atmospheric shenanigans explain the anomaly) and far-removed planets.

Anyway. I personally fully expect that, sooner or later, Neptune will be given its own tileset. The Corpus Ice Planet is probably going to be destined exclusively to Venus and Pluto, which is fine enough.

19 minutes ago, TheSkeletonPolice said:

That makes sense. Though it would be nice if the tileset on pluto had a unique skybox to set it apart.

Yes, a better skybox would definitely be appropriate.

I mean, let's face it: the Corpus Ice Planet is one of the absolute oldest tilesets, and has received very few upgrades over all these years. It could really benefit from a total overhaul, although we know how time-consuming these are, and from what we know DE is working at two different new tilesets at the moment (Sentient, and the Planes of Duviri for the new faction). Moreover, DE will "probably" redo the Corpus Ship tileset in conjunction with the release of Railjack.

So, with Fortuna and Jupiter in the recent past, and the Corpus Ship in the foreseeable future, the Devs will probably then want to dedicate some time to the other factions - be it the Infested and the Grineer, both of which will not have been worked on for a long time.