Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

This Game Would Be So Much Better With Achievements?

Decim0

Personally, not so much. I can see that getting a greyscale little icon coloured in feels like an achievement to some people, and I know this has been asked before. But maybe there could just be some record as to how many of each sub-mission you have completed. You could get different coloured in-game avatar backgrounds based on what you do and how often.

Edited by Azure_Kyte

Really? Like Xbox achievements? I never really cared for those nor the steam popups everytime I do something. I'd prefer more solid, useful, rewarding system rather than a silent pat on the back saying "good jobbu!".

But then we've got challenges for that, things like "Melee 10 enemies", "Kill 5 while sliding" and so on, with the added XP bonus. Wouldn't mind if they worked on that and somehow improved it.

Can't say I'm that fussed by achievements myself but as long as putting some sort of achievement system doesn't interfere with progress on other things the team are working on then I wouldn't object to it, I'm not bothered if it's there or not really.

I literally could not care less for achievements. They are pointless, obnoxious epeen manifestations of the console generation.

I'd rather have the devs spend their precious work-time on things that actually benefit the gameplay.

Like... Achievements?

Because they do benefit the gameplay in terms of creating longevity at nearly zero cost. Especially Achievements which provide minor game benefits, instead of just epeen value, like in Alpha Protocol, Fallout: New Vegas, Mass Effect 1, and Borderlands 2.

Achievements ? Better get Highscore-Leaderboards, most kills, fastest mission time, least damage for each planet.... there you have your "longevity at nearly zero cost" ... but i guess that would be too hard, if you can instead get an achievement for killing 5 enemys with a pistol... or 10 with a rifle, or play map x for the 1000th time in a row. Achievements are pretty useless..

I literally could not care less for achievements. They are pointless, obnoxious epeen manifestations of the console generation.

I'd rather have the devs spend their precious work-time on things that actually benefit the gameplay.

Sums up my thoughts on the subject pretty well.

Achievements ? Better get Highscore-Leaderboards, most kills, fastest mission time, least damage for each planet.... there you have your "longevity at nearly zero cost" ... but i guess that would be too hard, if you can instead get an achievement for killing 5 enemys with a pistol... or 10 with a rifle, or play map x for the 1000th time in a row. Achievements are pretty useless..

And those existed before. You know why Achievements exist? Because most people will never ever ever get close enough to the top ranks so that 'most kills' or 'fastest mission time' or 'least damage' will ever matter to them. Achievements provide a small reward for the average player to keep them playing, and it actually works fairly well. A well-thought-out Achievement system can provide significant longevity to the game.

And I love how you're like 'but we can't have BOTH systems'. Because it's pretty obviously possible to have both.

Achievements ? Better get Highscore-Leaderboards, most kills, fastest mission time, least damage for each planet.

How are you supposed to compare these values with the random map generation in place? All of these stats somehow depend on the size and number of rooms generated. A small map can be completed much faster, will most likely have less enemies and therefore you'll probably take less damage.

Anyway, to contribute to the topic, it really depends on what kind of achievements were to be implemented. I couldn't care less about "Kill X Grineer" or "Rank [insert Weapon] to Level 30", but I wouldn't mind more creative achievements that get you to try out things you usually wouldn't do.

What about persistent challenges that would give mastery? Like "get 1000 kills with X weapon" and so forth, with different tiers, sorta like how Call of Duty does it.

That's basically like any achievement so far.

We want a challenge, not a farm fest.

I wouldn't mind something like the Vorp achievements, where there are some one time deals which are more like standard do X with Y equipment, and then repeatables that give you minor bonuses at the end of a mission, and could be fun to have that little extra "oh hey I had 3 headshot kills while wallrunning" type things to see at the end of a mission. Personally I think those repeatable awards that show up at the end of a mission would be more interesting and fun to play with than more of the static progression/grind type.

The only thing I can think of that would be worth implementing, would be a reward for completing planets. Maybe a warframe slot or a weapons slot.

That sounds like a great idea, there aren't too many planets around so it shouldn't be much of a problem for the cash shop, could have weapon slots for all the lower level systems and warframe slots from the hard ones like Pluto and Eris.