The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Melee not working with controller on steam

DanteRaver

Sorry if this is misplaced or old news, but I've been away for some time and have recently came back to warframe. I mostly play with a controller, and atm I'm using a switch controller. I've noticed that when I attempt to use melee the first press of the button act as normal, and brings out the weapon and does a single strike. The problem is that every subsequent press of the button does nothing, and I can no longer use melee attacks; other that switching back to my primary or secondary and retrying the initial draw attack.

If someone can help or guide me it would be very appreciated.
Thank you.

Just now, DanteRaver said:

I've noticed that when I attempt to use melee the first press of the button act as normal, and brings out the weapon and does a single strike. The problem is that every subsequent press of the button does nothing, and I can no longer use melee attacks; other that switching back to my primary or secondary and retrying the initial draw attack.

Have you checked the keybindings to make sure you are actually pushing the correct buttons?

• DE has made some changes to how melee works. 'Some time' is too broad to know if you left before or after this. But make sure you confirm you are pushing the right buttons.

If you are, reset the controls to default and that will probably fix it. I had issues with Frame Fighter when it released. I had to reset my controls to make it work. Using a controller (XB1).

5 minutes ago, krc473 said:

Have you checked the keybindings to make sure you are actually pushing the correct buttons?

• DE has made some changes to how melee works. 'Some time' is too broad to know if you left before or after this. But make sure you confirm you are pushing the right buttons.

If you are, reset the controls to default and that will probably fix it. I had issues with Frame Fighter when it released. I had to reset my controls to make it work. Using a controller (XB1).

It's probably been 4-5 months I've been away; but sometime before the new melee system rolled out.

I've also made sure I'm pressing the right buttons as well as tried resetting the key bindings, but still the same results. 

21 minutes ago, DanteRaver said:

I've also made sure I'm pressing the right buttons as well as tried resetting the key bindings, but still the same results

Well, I have three other suggestions:

1. Verify the Download Cache. This is under the cog in the launcher. It might take a little while. Never do this through Steam - it forces you to do a complete redownload and installation.
  2. Delete the EE.cfg file. This is the config file for Warframe, it will reset all of your settings. This has fixed keybinding issues in the last. You can find it under Warframe’s folder in %appdata%.
  3. Running third party software to make your controller more compatible. I am not sure what the native compatibility of the Switch controller is. Last I checked it was only Xbox controllers that worked fine without other software. (Note: this was quite a while ago)

As you have posted this as a bug, I assume you have made sure you are actually doing it correctly. There is a toggle option that lets you use primary fire as your melee attack button. Otherwise you have to keep pushing whatever the melee button is.

Edited by krc473

26 minutes ago, krc473 said:

Well, I have three other suggestions:

1. Verify the Download Cache. This is under the cog in the launcher. It might take a little while. Never do this through Steam - it forces you to do a complete redownload and installation.
  2. Delete the EE.cfg file. This is the config file for Warframe, it will reset all of your settings. This has fixed keybinding issues in the last. You can find it under Warframe’s folder in %appdata%.
  3. Running third party software to make your controller more compatible. I am not sure what the native compatibility of the Switch controller is. Last I checked it was only Xbox controllers that worked fine without other software. (Note: this was quite a while ago)

As you have posted this as a bug, I assume you have made sure you are actually doing it correctly. There is a toggle option that lets you use primary fire as your melee attack button. Otherwise you have to keep pushing whatever the melee button is.

I've done both 1 and 2, but sadly to no change, I'll have to try 3 at a later date. Hopefully that may fix my problem. 

Thanks for the help along the way though, tenno. It was greatly appreciated.