The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Last post wins

Mr.ElevenXI

Searched the entire day for my old Battletech box, but to no avail. So I ordered the new edition and a neoprene battlemat. I do plan on keeping it down to basic, just a small selection of mechs and a few maps and cardboard buildings.

I played it quite a lot in the old days. Made lots of photocopies of front/back illustrations of anime mecha, and scaled them down to proper size for making playing pieces. Glued them onto cardboard and hand coloured them, then stuck them onto washers for stability.

Good memories.

marik-v-wolf-1200-675.jpg?w=1024

New rules and playing pieces are going to seem fancy by comparison, but I guess I can live with that.

Battletech box arrived today. Cleaned up the 8 mechs coming with the box, and gave them a black primer. That'll need to cure until tomorrow. Now leafing through the rulebook, getting a feel for the new mechanics.

Plan is to have a small selection of favorites painted in one camo pattern and specific markings, and the rest in different schemes for friends to use. Paint jobs are kept simple, so as not to get bogged down in my usual penchant for perfectionism. Using superglue and baking soda on bases, so it won't throw off the sense of scaling. It'll be interesting to paint in such a small scale, trying to convey a sense of size.

Best thing is I can drag this around in a proper carrying case with ease, and the game is relatively easy to learn for new players. A bit more accessible than 30K/40K, I dare say. :D

Well... Once you get some paint on a miniature, any shortcoming sure come to light. The battletech ranges seems to still be produced on the old casts, as there's a lot of flash, detail loss and mould slippage in the minis I got. So it's limited how good a result I'll get out of them without some serious cutting and resculpting. Tried one technique to cover up some of the faults, and decided it's not worth the work, so I'll just drybrush the bunch in different colours, and do a bit of rudimentary camo on a few, then doing some panel lining with thinned down oil paint. Finishing off with three layers of gloss varnish and one matte.