The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Black screen / Warframe crashing drivers

Ion9631

Hello, unfortunately I am experiencing a bug which is more or less related to warframe itself.

What happens is, that after certain amount of time playing, my screen becomes completely black and I get "No signal" from my monitor. I can still interact with the game and with the background menus, as I can hear the sounds of the buttons and in game effects when I press certain buttons on my keyboard, but the screen simply becomes dead until I restart my computer.

At first I was suspecting that I have either a faulty hardware or my drivers are bad (Which I ruled out by updating them). Now when I was googling around for this problem, I came up with numerous warframe threads with people reporting the same issue.

Here are a few:

I have not experienced this problem with any other game I have played (Demanding games like Gta V, Witcher 3, Metal gear V, Forza Horizon 4, Rage 2, Ghost Recon Wild-lands, Assassins Creed Oddysey and so on), needless to say, I play all the games on ultra settings.

My specs are:

Gtx 1060 6GB

650W PSU

16GB DDR4 memory

Core i5 8400

Running everything on SSD - System on M2 SSD card and game on 1TB WD Blue SSD

Any information regarding this issue or possible help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Ion9631

14 minutes ago, Ion9631 said:

my screen becomes completely black and I get "No signal" from my monitor

My monitor does this when I pull the wire out. Maybe check your GPU temperature just in case. It is irrelevant if you play what you think are more demanding games. Warframe is terrible at utilising resources properly, so it is also quite demanding.

• On an older laptop I had issues with overheating exclusively in Warframe. No other games that I played (for example GTAV)

Did you actually read any of those threads? They have suggestions posted in them. Should we assume you have done these.

• The one about a grinding audio is the CPU overheating a down-clocking. That is probably not your issue. The middle thread is the only one that seems to be similar to your issue - unless you have done a bad job explaining it. You have linked the three, so I am going to assume you have not put all the information; I suggest elaborating on your issue so people can actually help you.
Edited by krc473

8 minutes ago, krc473 said:

My monitor does this when I pull the wire out. Maybe check your GPU temperature just in case. It is irrelevant if you play what you think are more demanding games. Warframe is terrible at utilising resources properly, so it is also quite demanding.

• On an older laptop I had issues with overheating exclusively in Warframe. No other games that I played (for example GTAV)

Did you actually read any of those threads? They have suggestions posted in them. Should we assume you have done these.

• The one about a grinding audio is the CPU overheating a down-clocking. That is probably not your issue. The middle thread is the only one that seems to be similar to your issue - unless you have done a bad job explaining it. You have linked the three, so I am going to assume you have not put all the information; I suggest elaborating on your issue so people can actually help you.

*Sight*

I already explained that. The only reason why the monitor behaves "like you pull the wire out" is because of driver issues. If they crash the graphics card has no means of communicating with the operating system and you lose your display.

I do not have any overheating issues, I did not overclock my system. My system is highly stable and I ensured that I had proper cooling. I always look for obvious errors on my side before posting a thread like this so please do not even question that.

What do you mean elaborating on my issue? What else is there to say? I get a black screen and I am forced to cold restart my computer. There are already 2 threads like these on the second page of this forum, posted in the recent days. I highly doubt we all suffer from overheating issues or something similar. I linked numerous posts explaining the very same problem that I have. What else would you want?

Edited by Ion9631

51 minutes ago, Ion9631 said:

I linked numerous posts explaining the very same problem that I have.

That’s just it. You say they are the same issue, but you don’t mention many things in them. For example, the grinding noise from your computer when this happens. That is quite an important point that you don’t mention. The issue fixing itself after less than 10 seconds - that is different to having to restart the whole computer. What I want is you to provide this sort of important information that you forgot to add in your OP. 

• Or you could read the posts you have linked and figure out which are actually the same issue you are having, and which are not.

The only reason why the monitor behaves "like you pull the wire out" is because of driver issues.

Or a faulty display device, like a GPU for example. It could be a software or hardware fault. I am well aware of why it would behave like you pulled the wire out.

I always look for obvious errors on my side before posting a thread like this so please do not even question that.

Can you explain how anyone would know this if you do not say it? And given that one of the threads you linked is (typically the symptoms of) an overheating issue I was assuming maybe you had found something was overheating but neglected to mention it (why I asked you to elaborate).

Edit: I realise you forgot to answer this after I posted. I am going to assume you have read the threads you linked and tried all the fixes in them.

Edited by krc473

That’s just it. You say they are the same issue, but you don’t mention many things in them. For example, the grinding noise from your computer when this happens. That is quite an important point that you don’t mention. The issue fixing itself after less than 10 seconds - that is different to having to restart the whole computer. What I want is you to provide this sort of important information that you forgot to add in your OP

I do not mention it because that is not the case. The issues I posted are same or very similar to what I experience. I described my problem the way I experienced it. Maybe quit overthinking so much?

Or a faulty display device, like a GPU for example. It could be a software or hardware fault. I am well aware of why it would behave like you pulled the wire out.

If you did you would not be describing it as "Pulling the wire out". It is simply not the case.

Additionally, if it was a faulty hardware, I would have experienced the issue with all the games I play. It is only warframe that does that. That is for one and for two there are numerous posts reporting the same problem, some as recent as few days. If you want to blame us all for having a faulty hardware, I suggest you take your leave because you are obviously not helping, only derailing this thread towards off topic discussion.

Can you explain how anyone would know this if you do not say it? And given that one of the threads you linked is an overheating issue I was assuming maybe you had found something was overheating but neglected to mention it (why I asked you to elaborate).

Because it is something so obvious that I fail to see a reason to mention it. It is like checking your car for a flat tire. It is tiring me out that each time, whenever I post to a tech support forum, the first expert that comes tells me that everything is an over heating issue. No it is not!

It is like the only problem that people know. If it was an overheating issue I would not bother posting here.

When I posted I was hoping that someone would come and tell me that it is either a well known problem in warframe, and doing this and that will fix that, or tell me to wait for a patch, or someone would objectively point out that I am at fault and I should look for the error at my side.

With all things considered the error is most likely not at my side.

Edited by Ion9631

5 hours ago, Ion9631 said:

If you did you would not be describing it as "Pulling the wire out". It is simply not the case.

Okay, I see you completely missed the point. Disregard my statement about pulling the wire out.

Because it is something so obvious that I fail to see a reason to mention it.

You say that, but it might be obvious to you. You are completely disregarding the fact it is not obvious to everyone.

The issues I posted are same or very similar to what I experience. I described my problem the way I experienced it. Maybe quit overthinking so much?

Here is what you said:

6 hours ago, Ion9631 said:

I came up with numerous warframe threads with people reporting the same issue.

It is hardly overthinking when you explicitly stated that it was the same issue. You were not providing accurate information - you have clarified now.

The first step anyone will tell you is to Verify the Download Cache. Have you at least done that? I assume you have as it is what DE suggested people do in one of your linked threads. Yes, it is the obvious thing to do. But again, some people are not aware that they should do this. 

• This is generally how issues are fixed when it is ‘DE’s fault’.

It is hardly overthinking when you explicitly stated that it was the same issue. You were not providing accurate information - you have clarified now.

The first step anyone will tell you is to Verify the Download Cache. Have you at least done that? I assume you have as it is what DE suggested people do in one of your linked threads. Yes, it is the obvious thing to do. But again, some people are not aware that they should do this. 

Now you are just dragging me by my words. "Same issue" meaning that there is an exact intersection of the events that I experienced and what people describe. The fact that someone experiences something additional, or describes the problem a bit different is to be expected. The core issue is there.

You were not providing accurate information - you have clarified now.

And again, I am asking for the second time. What do you expect to be an accurate information? I described what I could, what else do you want? Memory dumps? System event reports? Videos?

You are arguing over technicalities while, derailing the thread and entirely missing the point of why it was made.

The first step anyone will tell you is to Verify the Download Cache. Have you at least done that?

Jesus freaking Christ. I am sorry but I am really growing sick of this. I work in the IT as a software engineer. I am throwing that out there just so you know how ridiculous I find some of these suggestions and "fixes".

If there is an issue inside the backbone of the engine handling something incorrectly, no amount of file verification is going to help. File verification is only good if you are either missing some of the game files, or they are corrupted. In such a case, the game would usually not even launch and even if it did, it would crash the second the missing/corrupted resource would try to be loaded. It would certainly not as it currently seems kill the graphics drivers(Or something to that regard).

For people with the issue. I switched off Real time tessellation and disabled CUDA in the nvidia settings for this game. So far everything has been stable. In case it happens again I will update the post.

Edited by Ion9631

8 minutes ago, Ion9631 said:

And again, I am asking for the second time.

If you bothered to read what I said: ‘were’ as in, not anymore because you clarified it. I explained what my issue was, you clarified it, so it isn’t an issue now. I don’t know if you are deliberately misinterpreting what I am saying or not, or just don’t want to listen to what I have to say. Regardless you seem to have solved the issue now anyway. So carrying this on is totally pointless.

9 minutes ago, Ion9631 said:

Jesus freaking Christ. I am sorry but I am really growing sick of this. I work in the IT as a software engineer. I am throwing that out there just so you know how ridiculous I find some of these suggestions and "fixes".

Tell DE. This is what DE suggested in one of the threads you posted. So, talk to them about how stupid their suggestion is. I am just asking if you have done it. Because clearly doing what the game developers suggest as a potential fix is sensible. Regardless of wether it will actually work. A simple ‘yes or now’ would have been sufficient. I don’t care why you think it won’t work - whenever a company provides troubleshooting tips many of them will not fix the problem, but you still do them so you can say ‘it didn’t help’.

11 minutes ago, Ion9631 said:

For people with the issue. I switched off Real time tessellation and disabled CUDA in the nvidia settings for this game. So far everything has been stable. In case it happens again I will update the post.

Well, at least it is fixed for now.

If you bothered to read what I said: ‘were’ as in, not anymore because you clarified it. I explained what my issue was, you clarified it, so it isn’t an issue now. I don’t know if you are deliberately misinterpreting what I am saying or not, or just don’t want to listen to what I have to say. Regardless you seem to have solved the issue now anyway. So carrying this on is totally pointless.

Well sorry for that. Misinterpreting information is my specialty.

Tell DE. This is what DE suggested in one of the threads you posted. So, talk to them about how stupid their suggestion is. I am just asking if you have done it. Because clearly doing what the game developers suggest as a potential fix is sensible. Regardless of wether it will actually work. A simple ‘yes or now’ would have been sufficient. I don’t care why you think it won’t work - whenever a company provides troubleshooting tips many of them will not fix the problem, but you still do them so you can say ‘it didn’t help’.

I did try them in desperation, but I knew they would not work since it makes no sense. Either ways to answer your question, yes I tried them and no they did not help.

Well, at least it is fixed for now.

Hard to say whether it is fixed. I have been playing for maybe 4 hours and have not encountered the problem after applying the settings I mentioned. Whether it actually helped or whether the problem simply did not occur I will see in time.

Either ways thanks for the help so far. Even if it does not seem like it, I appreciate it.

I have this exact same problem right now! I came back from a 1 year hiatus a few days ago. I play for about an hour, suddenly my GPU's fans turn off, screen goes black but I still hear all the audio in the background (Skype calls also still works). GPU Driver crash. At first I also thought this was a hardware issue, but I checked my PC inside and out and tested multiple games, I've been playing Monster Hunter World and PoE for hours now and had no issues whatsoever. I played these games already before coming back to WF and never had any issues but, I install Warframe and play it and I get this issue only there. So theres defo something wrong with Warframe atm.

specs:

Rx480 Sapphire Nitro+ 8Gb (latest driver)
16Gb Ram
750W PSU
i5 6600k

Sucks WF doesnt work, but glad to see I'm not the only one.

Edited by Liyern
listing specs

Had this problem happen to me right now and several days ago. Warframe not only crashed the game, but also causes Windows to do a memory dump and reboot.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Intel Core i7 6700k

AMD R9 Nano (4GB HBM)

Radeon Software Version 19.7.1

32GB DDR4 RAM

Edit: Despite my username, I recently started a new PC account just to try out mouse + keyboard controls plus getting refamiliar with the basics. My enjoyment of the PC version is severely hampered by these nasty crash bugs.

Edited by (NSW)sfried
Explanation for having posted under Nintendo Switch account.

the problem happens in AMD and Nvidia I had the opportunity to try different methods in both pc and after 5/10 / 30min crash display driver, the problem comes from the same client / launcher of the game, since they updated Jovian Concord this problem It prevents playing as it did 3 months ago.

P.D in my post the game was stable for 48min and the problem appeared again: 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Throwing my hat into this catch all thread, too. Previously posted in this one, but I'll repost my specs here for easier time finding them:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X
Mobo: Gigabyte X470 AORUS Ultra Gaming
RAM: 16GB DDR4
GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PSU: 750W

It's happening way more frequently to me today than it previously did. No fixes I try are working. This is giving me meltdowns.

EDIT: Also, this turns my GPU fans ON, they usually don't turn on. It's like something in the game is just suddenly overheating my PC & it crashes my display drivers. Doesn't happen with any other game I play or anything else I do on my PC.

Edited by ZeonicGundam
Added pertinent info.