Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nightwave Challenge ideas

Vespilan

The title has alot of you raging already I assume but hear me out on this;

Warframe does not become more challenging in a fun was through scaling enemy levels.

Crazy right? This post serves to present an idea I had to make Warframe missions unique and interesting, particularly Nightwave missions. Nightwave missions are more tedious than they are a challenge right now. There is little fun or challenge in killing enemies with varrying damage types or being forced to mine in Fortuna where you might not even have the gear available yet, entailing a bigger grind. 
The goal is challenge, without chore. Fun over grind. 
My idea is instead of the Nightwave riven-challenge-esque mission format right now to add some unique, fun and whacky mission modifiers to standard mission nodes. Players are given one of these whacky missions every other day, not meaning however you have to log on every two days to do these missions. Instead, you can replay missions you "missed out on" in a sort of mission playlist style. 

Examples for mission modifiers could be:

• Warframes are 25% of their original size.
  • Only operators can be used.*
  • Only melee weapons can be used by both Tenno and enemies.
  • All Tenno are in Razorwing mode
  • Enemies are all warframe spectres, but spawnrates are reduced.
  • Double difficulty, but 8 players can join.
  • Ability kills cause chain explosions
  • Killing an enemy grants +1% on a random Warframe stat (strengh, duration, range, efficiency). 
  • (For open world bounties) Warframes are 500% of their original size and can trample enemies.
  • (For Defense type) Instead of enemies, one planet boss spawns for every wave.
  • (For any endless type) Teammates randomly scramble loadouts between waves.
  • (For any endless type) Tenno receive random abilities between waves
  • etc.

* You might yell "SPOILERS!" for these mission types, but note that current missions require you to do Kuva Siphon type missions and similar aswell. 

Additionally, Nightwave endless-mission types give (5x (Rotation Number)) creds of the respective currency used for the season. 

Surely, this would be a huge change to nightwave and I am not even sure how much this fits in lorewise but.. who ever cares about lore, am I right?

Let me know what you think

These seem more like Nightmare objectives than Nightwave, and I would be fine with that.

The problem with it being for Nightwave is that those are not specific missions (like they are for Nightmare), but rather objectives you can accomplish throughout the starchart. You don't specifically go to a Nightwave mission.

If I needed to go to Orb Vallis for regular bounties (and not the fishing/mining Nightwave objective) I would hate to zone in only being able to use my Operator or melee only because I'm not there for special objectives. 

So my vote: 

Nightmare objectives, heck ya. They need new refreshing modifiers and rewards.

Nightwave objectives, no.

I can see what makes you think that. I was also thinking halfway through that this is somewhat similar to sortie modifiers. The whole point is fun though.

Nightmare missions are easily the most forgetable mission type in the game, even more than Archwing. You do about five Nightmare mission runs and if you have RNGeebus' blessing, you're done with the Nightmare gamemode. Forever. 
Nightwave, however, is much more present and especially much more tedious. Yes, these challenges are different than what I suggested and yes I acknowledge that but at the same time ask for a change. Why can't a game be rewarding and fun?

Maybe there could even be a switch. Have Nora moderate the more serious and edgy Nightwave episodes and then have some lunatic scientist or a rogue cephalon (sark?) moderate the more whacky nightwave episodes (similar to Dr. Genki in Saints Row 4). 

20 hours ago, Vespilan said:

Nightwave missions are more tedious than they are a challenge right now.

That's because they were never intended to be challenging. Nightwave functions as a base feature and offers basic rewards, like low MR weapon blueprints, auras or cosmetics. By its nature NW should cater to the whole game demography, including total newbies as well as veterans. This inclusive nature, given by the function of the system, does not allow much challange, but busywork.

Nightwave is not an endgame playground.

vor 21 Stunden schrieb ShortCat:

By its nature NW should cater to the whole game demography, including total newbies as well as veterans.

If nightwave should cater to the whole playerbase, I don't see the place of Forma and gild challenges aswell as ayatan statue socket challenges as they are pretty ressource intensive. By extension, you could also say that "Interact with Kubrow /Kavat" missions are not catering to the entire playerbase, because most people run sentinels over pets, maybe even not owning a pet. Also don't forget the various "Mine this", "Fish this", or "Preservate that" missions for open world, which of course don't cater to total newbies aswell. And finally stuff like the Kuva Siphon mission we had just recently which you can't even do before having finished the War Within, as far as I know. 
I'd say Nightwave is not supposed to cater to all players but more to mid-game to endgame players.

Assuming for a second however that it was supposed to be accessable to all players, even then the challenges I suggested would be a better solution. I never said anything about the enemy levels on the nodes with those modifiers on because I would actually keep the default nodes level or slightly increase the starting level up to a maximum of the first sortie mission (Lv. 50-60). Of course, this wouldn't allow MR 0 Excals to join in on the fun, but so does most content. At the very least, you're expected to have completed the starchart to access the more interesting activities of Warframe anyways.

1 hour ago, Vespilan said:

If nightwave should cater to the whole playerbase, I don't see the place of Forma and gild challenges aswell as ayatan statue socket challenges as they are pretty ressource intensive.

Exactly.

1 hour ago, Vespilan said:

Assuming for a second however that it was supposed to be accessable to all players, even then the challenges I suggested would be a better solution.

Your suggestions remind me of mutaturs in Unreal Tournament 2004. Those are fun mission modificators, but I cannot see them as a task suited for NW. Maybe for nightmare missions?