Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Steamos!

Redemption77

SteamOS was just announced from Valve. I wonder what this could mean for Warframe!!

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/valve-announces-steamos-free-operating-system-designed-for-the-tv-and-the-living-room/

With as near perfect as WF runs now (at least for me), imagine a faster open sourced OS that could open the floodgates for easier optimization!!!

It means jack all for warframe. Its just a linux OS with steaming for windows games.

Also warframe isn't natively supported for linux so you would only stream your windows games from your main pc to it, warframe being a windows game it will make little difference or worse depending on your connection.

Edited by Blk_Mage

This means very little for Warframe directly. Warframe is built off DirectX not OpenGL. The only reason it ports well to the Playstation is that Sony is using a licensed version of DirectX on their system this time round.

In the long run this could mean good things for Not-Windows as there is a limit that 'open' projects can reach without serious financial backing. Valve has that, more then most other companies that have tried the 'Linux thing'.

What SteamOS offers is OnLive, but from your local computer to your set-top box instead of across the internet. Meaning less latency, more stable connection.

Moreover steamOS is not only a linux based OS, it is an optimized version for games. Get rid of any consumption windows takes of your hardware and start playing with all the potential your computer has.

Somehting like this :P

Edit: Half life 3 incoming

Edited by truci4

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamController/

Well it wasn't Half Life 3. It was 2 touch pad and a touch screen controller. While at once this seems doable at another I have concerns about this working out well. I would need to feel those haptics before I was convinced. These would seem to fall shot of capacitive electromagnetic field technology such as Senseg was demoing last year.

What I don't think Valve or most folks get about controllers vs Mouse&Keyboard is the insane volume of input points you get by using most of your fingers instead of just your thumbs. A controller by its nature removes anywhere from 4 to 6 fingers from active use. Well built PC 'gaming' devices can use all 10 fingers and at least one wrist.

I will admit though, with haptics this could be a viable controllers for RTSs. Although track pads still kinda suck for that.