Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Odd / implausible lighting on Grineer galleon tileset

Ophiolith

Hey there,

So, I feel like the new metallic shader upgrade has really highlighted some... really weird lighting on the Grineer galleon tileset.  I guess a lot of this will be to do with the art for this tileset being one of the oldest in the game, before PBR-style materials were a consideration, and a lot of these were present before the new materials, but I think it's worth looking at.

1Aj0LND.jpg

The lighting of the character here is totally inconsistent with the scene lighting.  Blown-out bright whites vs moody saturated yellow on the surrounding scenery.  Also note the really weird blue tint on the light coming from the windows - it's way too bright and should blend with the yellow rather than just cancelling it out.

UsQeTu9.jpgHere the primary light source is behind Gauss, and yet his front is actually brighter than the light being cast directly onto the scene.  What?

RRf4ACm.jpg

Probably the strangest of the lot.  Why are objects in this scene being lit bright red?  There is no red light in the scene at all.

poJjoEq.jpg

The lighting in general here is just way too bright.  There are some small point lights, and some coming from the windows, but there's no plausibility here.  Where is all the ambient lighting coming from?  Why is space casting such a bright light into the interior of the ship?

Anyway, this isn't to rat on anyone at DE here.  This sort of thing is inevitable when you have a big, sprawling game that's iteratively updated.  I also understand the 'galleon' tileset hails from a time when Warframe's lighting system was pretty different, but if any tileset is in need of a bit of love from the artists, it's definitely this one.

Edited by Ophiolith

A lot of the older tilesets "fake" their lighting. They appear to use precalculated shadow mas for the environment, then separate lighting for characters. The Grineer Galleon and Ice Planet tilesets are particularly bad about this, using very little if any character lighting. Your Warframe appears very dark, despite the environment being brightly lit. What you're experiencing looks like they went to a different illumination model for the Grineer Galleon that doesn't have such low lighting, and this is the result.