Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Skye's Tennogen Sketchbook

Skyeraikes

Hello! 

I've been working on a few skin concepts recently and I thought I'd share before taking any of them further to see if people like the idea. Feedback is much appreciated (as always), and if any modellers are interested in giving me a hand feel free to get in touch!!

So far, I've been playing around with Wisp, Mirage and Garuda (the kitsune Mirage is a long standing project of mine). I'm pushing the limits of what may be acceptably warframe-y design, so if you have experience with items accepted/feedback from DE regarding specific details (E.G floaty helmet accessories or asymmetric design) I'd love to hear.

Otherwise just pick your fave so I know which one to start working on first 😉

xK7LolG.jpg

u7Jv4f6.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Being new to modelling I ran into an issue trying to bake the highpoly mesh in Substance Painter. I set everything up as per Hydroxate's guide, read the documentation etc.... but basically it just does nothing when I bake the mesh. SP goes through the baking process, but the result is no different from the lowpoly model. I've tried a few solutions I could find here and on other forums, including checking and fixing mesh integrity, upping the virtual memory, exporting the FBX as ascii but nothing seems to have done the trick. If anyone could help I'd greatly appreciate it!

MTQ1q01.jpg

WQLFBwy.jpg

• Like 1

This kind of issue can be caused by a lot of stuff. The first questions that come to my mind are :

• Do your low poly and your high poly properly line up ? Some import/export setting or error may scale your model differently. When I was starting, I had a lot of issues with this with my high poly scaling to x100 or x0.01 after exporting.
  • Have you checked your baking setting ? Maybe your baking distance is too low, making stuff not baking at all.

If these 2 are not working, I can't really help you unless you send my the files to check.

PS : Your design looks really cool.

Il y a 4 heures, Skyeraikes a dit :

@lukinu_u Thank you so much! I'll try these two solutions - if it doesn't work would you be OK to take a look at the files? 

Also, I read your comments on many other topics like mine, and I wish I could give you a massive thumbs up for being so helpful with new artists!

I use an older version of Substance Painter, so I can't help with the substance file but can check if the high poly it properly set up.

Il y a 2 heures, Skyeraikes a dit :

I tried both and it seems to  have worked! However... it's mirroring Garuda's left side (with the boob cover) in the bake, completely ignoring the asymmetry. Could that be from setting the baking distance too high? 

A lot of warframe parts use the same UV on both side, meaning you can't use asymmetric texture on these part. You can see what are these part by looking at the UV, or simply paint on your Substance Painter file and see if what you paint replicate elsewhere.
I haven't checked but from how Garuda body looks, it's very possible that the whole body has symetrical UV exept the scarf that is separate mesh.

20 hours ago, lukinu_u said:

A lot of warframe parts use the same UV on both side, meaning you can't use asymmetric texture on these part. You can see what are these part by looking at the UV, or simply paint on your Substance Painter file and see if what you paint replicate elsewhere.
I haven't checked but from how Garuda body looks, it's very possible that the whole body has symetrical UV exept the scarf that is separate mesh.

Hmm it appears I can only paint on her left (scarf) side, even in SP which then gets mirrored onto her other side. The scarf has no separation, not in Painter, nor on the fbx mesh we are given. - This means that when I paint on her scarf, it just appears on her breast the same on the other side. I've attached the UVs for you to check though. (Her helmet, claws and ribbons are all separate meshes) In the meantime I'll do a bit more digging to see if it is meant to be happening or if I'm doing something wrong.

wU8HcVZ.jpg

il y a 29 minutes, Skyeraikes a dit :

Hmm it appears I can only paint on her left (scarf) side, even in SP which then gets mirrored onto her other side. The scarf has no separation, not in Painter, nor on the fbx mesh we are given. - This means that when I paint on her scarf, it just appears on her breast the same on the other side. I've attached the UVs for you to check though. (Her helmet, claws and ribbons are all separate meshes) In the meantime I'll do a bit more digging to see if it is meant to be happening or if I'm doing something wrong.

wU8HcVZ.jpg

By "separate mesh" (which is wrong), I mean separate geometry that is not directly linked the body. They are both the same mesh and share the same UV, but are not directly linked; you can select the scraf vertex, move them and it won't affect the body.

About the symmetry on UV, it's not necessarily obvious but is pretty simple. What is visible insde the square is what is paintable and will end up being your texture. Everything outside this square will just tile, so every geometry outside of it will just get the same texture as the square AND your can't paint there.
So what is happening there is inside the square, there is one half of the body (red) and the scarf (green), while the other half of the body (blue) is out of that square. It mean one half and the scarf is paintable and detail will replicate on the other side, while this other side can't be painted but will get paint for the paintable side.

To avoid this kind on issue, I generally stack both side of UV inside the square, so I can paint on the side I want.
AAAA.png

Ah I see! I missed the scarf bit on the UV.  Would it be possible to stack this in a way that allows for asymmetry? I guess not, since they use the default UV in game... Back to the drawing board then! Many thanks for your help with this - it turns out I just suffer from selective blindness!

Unfortunately it turns out Garuda can't be done due to he UV's being mirrored, making an asymmetrical design impossible. I did all the modelling on her body, but probably won't take it further since the point of the design was to have it asymmetrical.

WQLFBwy.jpg

il y a une heure, Skyeraikes a dit :

Ah I see! I missed the scarf bit on the UV.  Would it be possible to stack this in a way that allows for asymmetry? I guess not, since they use the default UV in game... Back to the drawing board then! Many thanks for your help with this - it turns out I just suffer from selective blindness!

Yeah, always double check the UV before doing your concept, I hope you haven't worked too much on this one 😧

I really liked your concepts for all three frames , especially Garuda one. But as you have seen that Garuda have symmetrical body , you might have to redesign the concept for the body only i guess.

I am also currently working on a Gaurda helmet , working on the feedback from DE now a days ( item link: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1839260376 )

I would say that i am not that good at concept making , but i can model and texture stuff quite better , that`s why i have concept my stuff in 3d and mostly in mind 😀.

i was thinking that if you would like to work with me in collaboration then DM me , can help you with the 3d part , ( you can see my other 3d works here https://www.artstation.com/kakarrott ), can also check my steam workshop here :https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198312558129/myworkshopfiles/?appid=230410 , 

Edited by A1stLight

@A1stLightHang on; you did her Sakura helmet! Your stuff is great! I've invested a lot of time to learn Zbrush and SP  recently and would love a collab. I'll have to think about it a bit - it's difficult to redraw a concept I'm so attached to. In the meantime if you have another frame in mind; we can discuss it in DM?  ( or on Twitter if you have one? )