Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Alternate Skill Sets For Warframes

Trenggiling

Normally I see this sort of post and think something along the lines of "this will be another overhaul thread filled with mostly rubish ideas and one or two gems" instead i came a across a worse sort of thread the "this is awesome and now I hate that it isn't implemented" sort of threads (my pessemistic mind). for the most part all of them seem solid, though for a couple of the abilities the damage seemed a little high but I don't use direct damage dealing frames often enough to really know. Hydriod's changes definately looked like something I would play with.

I liked the Ideas for nekros, especially since terrify is garbage and replacing it with anything else would be better. I am not sure about adding abilities that deal direct damage, since Nekros has always been a support frame, but even the proposed damage dealing abilities also carry utility. I would recommend changing the damage of those abilities to viral, since both corrosive and cold have a home with another frame, and viral seems like it could be a good fit for nekros theme wise. Also the Living Death Desecrate interaction I would recommend changing to just a guaranteed viral procc, just to keep nekros from becoming another nuker class. Blur Mortality is by far my favorite, since it gives desecrate a run for its money on usefulness, it might need some tweeks to keep it from being too powerful but I love the concept.

One thought for aquisition of these abilities: Since none of these abilities are direct upgrades and are only alternatives, instead of adding them as mods which requiring using a slot on your warframe, have these alternative abilities be unlocked through gameplay and then selected in the abilities menu in the arsenal (but not through the abilities menu in game). They could be unlocked by hiting a certain amount of XP with a warframe after its already reached rank 30, or one by one after each time its formaed. Or maybe tie it to an achievement that can only be unlocked using frame, for instance: hit 5 minutes in an infested survival to unlock the first alternate ability, round two in a corpus interception for the second ability, complete 4 extractors in a grineer excavatiuon for the third ability, and 20 waves in a void defence for the ultimate.

Hello all.
I have finally gotten around to trying out Limbo, and doing so has made me realize something.
He can never have an alternate skill set...
His current skills are so deeply tied together, that if you simply remove 1 skill you can trivialize all his other skills.
Also, the new way that abilities work right now, hardly supports the notion of switching them out.
Sorry folks, but I don't think there's hope for this idea anymore.

Limbo might be a bit hard to get right, but one could probably find a way to work with it, here are some ideas that popped into my mind that are terrible but might inspire good ideas from others. The easiest that popped into my mind randomly would simply be to have the alternate abilities use a saperate plane from the standard abilities, so that one could have hostiles in a cataclysm bubble that could not be able to hit you while you rift walk and use banish to single out lone targets. And another lazy idea, the alternate abilities could simply change what regenerates while the target is in the rift, instead of energy it could be health or ammo. Or maybe swap banish with an ability that will banish multiple enemies in a certain radius of the caster, with power range affecting how far the ability can reach and power strength determining the target limit, recasting the ability would bring targets out of the void causing a momentary stun. Limbo could use this ability while rift walking to pull multiple targets into the rift with him to be dispatched quickly (since banish is more for isolating single targets) or be used to stop enemies who are in a room from hurting the team (for instance when trying to get to extraction after Life support has run out). Maybe an alternative to cataclysm would be a smaller rift that limbo could toggle (with continuous energy drain for the limbo) that would move with limbo instead of being rooted in place, probably would need a long cast time to both start and end during which energy drain would continue. Instead of rift surge have an ability that causes targets in the rift to have a slowdown effect placed on them, probably something like 20% and affected by power strength.

Someone can probably make something good out of one of those. No frame is impossible.

*snip*

My point isn't that I can't think of any skills for Limbo. (I can)

It's that currently Limbo can't afford to have any of his skills removed without hampering his kit.

So alternate skills can't work for him, unless they change him so that each and every one of his skills do something on their own.

Also, I made this thread back when skills were still mods. (I started this thread before Nova was a frame, in case you wanted to know)

And this idea really can't work now that the skills are fixed to the warframes.

Didn't realize how old this thread was.

I wouldn't say that this couldn't work. some refining or adapting to current mechanics would be necessary. If nothing else I would want to see this post remain so that DE could have ideas for future ability augments, as far as I can tell there is no reason for each ability to be limited to a single augment (though that would probably take a while for them to be released, but it would add more build variety so i'm all for it). Or even have these ideas used in the event of an overhaul of a frame. The concept behind this post is still solid, it just needs some tweeking to stay current.

• 1 month later...