Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So I Think With The Galatine We Really Need To Admit One Thing...

hashinshin

This game desperately needs a melee weapon balance pass.

All rifles are kinda-sorta balanced with each other. Pistols seem to be getting pretty unbalanced (the twin gremlins just completely blow everything else away that you can get outside of clan tech) and melee weapons are just.... wow.

The difference between a mid tier and high tier melee weapon is probably greater than the worst and best rifle. The difference between the Jaw Sword and the Orthos Prime might as well be different games entirely. I don't care that primes are better than other weapons (well I do care a little, it shortens the list of usable weapons to what I can count with my left hand) but I do care that the normal melee weapons are just light years apart in balance.

We really need a definitive melee weapon balance pass that will take the melee weapons and bring them more in line with each other. I'd say a good 80% of them are just completely useless because the remaining 20% are just so many light years ahead of each other. 

And, in the end, Galatine is the only one that's viable for higher levels for damage, aside from (possibly) Glaive.

They either need to nerf the Galatine and show short/long weapons some love (and revamp the melee system), or buff everything to the Galatine's level and show short/long weapons even more love (and, with that, revamp the melee system).

Edited by SortaRandom

I haven't tested out majority of the melee weapons myself, so I can't say I'm for one side or the other. But I can say this as a piece of advice: if you haven't truly committed to a weapon (not just a catalyst, but forma too) then you cannot say that everything besides Orthos Prime is terrible. Not only are you not doing the community a favor by misleading them, but you also bring into mind the drastic changes of melee weapons in the future (those of which may not even need them honestly). Always do your own research before you make bold statements. 

I haven't tested out majority of the melee weapons myself, so I can't say I'm for one side or the other. But I can say this as a piece of advice: if you haven't truly committed to a weapon (not just a catalyst, but forma too) then you cannot say that everything besides Orthos Prime is terrible. Not only are you not doing the community a favor by misleading them, but you also bring into mind the drastic changes of melee weapons in the future (those of which may not even need them honestly). Always do your own research before you make bold statements. 

I own practically every weapon in the game worth buying (meaning not understat so hard that it's not even worth trying) and the shift in power between some melee weapons is ... large.

I was leveling a dark dagger and swapped to ether reaper. Kaboom. Damage skyrocketed. I got the heat sword, what's it even good for? Got the jaw sword, what a joke. Leveld my dual zoren, it's alright. Even dual zoren compared to the bad melee weapons though is night and day, and dual zoren is only a mid tier weapon. 

well, other heavy melee need buffs, admit it scindo, fragor and gram arent really what they used to be, they need to be buffed to galatine´s level, another option would be to make the mastery requirements HIGHER so people dont cry nerf

See I wouldn't like that. Cutting down this game's already limited choice by just making it so that every mastery rank increased the power tier of weapons would be bad. 

I tried Galatine already, It is very slow but.... DAT DAMAGE Also it is the only charge build weapon with polarity and crit chance over 5%. I feel nerf coming,or buff to ther weapons, unluckily the latter

After having a full-blown man-fit yesterday concerning the release of the weapon, I can safely say that they will probably be basing (at least) future weapons off this design, and hopefully retro-fitting others to fit it's equation.

I have leveled numerous melee weapons and in the process nearly rage quit. I still have a few stragglers that I loath to even consider leveling. Melee needs a rework otherwise they are just a source of mastery points.

I just got the ceramic dagger. I compare its stats to the dark dagger and it's just like... what? Wait WHAT? It's the same pile of S#&$ I leveled earlier! 

And, in the end, Galatine is the only one that's viable for higher levels for damage, aside from (possibly) Glaive.

They either need to nerf the Galatine and show short/long weapons some love (and revamp the melee system), or buff everything to the Galatine's level and show short/long weapons even more love (and, with that, revamp the melee system).

I hate it when people say "____ is the only viable weapon of ___ category", because usually it isn't even close to being true. Orthos Prime is at least comparable, and neither weapon is viable in the endgame against anything other than light infected, in which the Orthos Prime is a bit better due to having a shorter charge time. Melee weapons simply don't scale well compared to guns in terms of damage, so the only useful ones are the ones that provide some sort of utility (Kogake, Kestrel), or the Glaive with the right mods.

The Galatine is actually a lot worse than people seem to realize. Yes, its charge damage is absurdly high, but it has a large charge duration during which you can be staggered. Very high damage doesn't mean anything if a lucky Sawman sneaks up and staggers you during the charge. So can we stop fixating on numbers and start thinking about how those numbers relate to the game itself?

I hate it when people say "____ is the only viable weapon of ___ category", because usually it isn't even close to being true. Orthos Prime is at least comparable, and neither weapon is viable in the endgame against anything other than light infected, in which the Orthos Prime is a bit better due to having a shorter charge time. Melee weapons simply don't scale well compared to guns in terms of damage, so the only useful ones are the ones that provide some sort of utility (Kogake, Kestrel), or the Glaive with the right mods.

The Galatine is actually a lot worse than people seem to realize. Yes, its charge damage is absurdly high, but it has a large charge duration during which you can be staggered. Very high damage doesn't mean anything if a lucky Sawman sneaks up and staggers you during the charge. So can we stop fixating on numbers and start thinking about how those numbers relate to the game itself?

I agree there. Been having trouble using the galatine on infested due to there damn stagger. And running in on Grineer without high shields is just plain stupid!

I agree there. Been having trouble using the galatine on infested due to there damn stagger. And running in on Grineer without high shields is just plain stupid!

yeah, best bet is to mod heavily towards speed in that instance. I've had some better luck with Galatine after that.

Many players think that mastery ranks are the be-all, end-all answer to weapon balance. I don't.

The mastery rank system is a tedious grind that force you to spend an extensive amount of time using weapons you don't like (Jaw sword, anyone?), frames you may or may not like. not exactly my definition of a fun game. And once you have the rank you aimed for, is that unlocked weapon more balanced compared to others?

In the end, you end up with newbies being limited to a very small number of crap weapons, and veterans limited to a very small number of OP weapons.