Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Quick mission idea: spy/mobile defense endless hybrid

GruntBlender

An unending series of consoles/terminals like in mobile defense. Procedurally adding more rooms as players progress. 

For each console:

-Alerting nearby enemies makes them run to the console to delete the data, similarly to how they take over points in Interception.

-Hack the console with parazon, initiate a minute timer until completion.

-Hacking console alerts enemies, have to defend console after hacking.

-Successfully hacking console unlocks the door to the next area.

Each area has an extraction tile. ABCCCC... rotations, with enemies getting tougher, more eximus spawning, etc. as you go. After a few rotations, extra hazards start spawning, like field bosses.

10 minutes ago, BaIthazar said:

The maps will always have a limit, if a gamemode procedurally added more rooms as time went on hardcore endurance players would end up with massive lag or crashes once the map got to a certain size.

They could delete the previous rooms to reduce memory usage, but I am no game coder so you can’t qoute me on that

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DrivaMain said:

They could delete the previous rooms to reduce memory usage, but I am no game coder so you can’t qoute me on that

Since Warframe has no history of doing this there is a possibility that the coding simply would not support it, implementing it could cause massive issues and instabilities.

Unrelated to code this could cause issues with loot and enemies disappearing because the room they were in doesn't exist anymore.

9 hours ago, BaIthazar said:

Since Warframe has no history of doing this there is a possibility that the coding simply would not support it, implementing it could cause massive issues and instabilities.

Unrelated to code this could cause issues with loot and enemies disappearing because the room they were in doesn't exist anymore.

Guessing is fine, but I'd love to hear from the Dev team about the feasibility of this. The way Warframe handles rooms, it seems, would be compatible with this. Rooms don't seem to take up much memory at all, so having a few thousand might not be an issue if loot and objects despawn from rooms left far behind.

Also, if the loot is 10-15 rooms back, nobody is going after it anyway. Let it despawn. There might be issues with assassins trying to spawn in deleted rooms, so just turn them off for this mode.

25 minutes ago, BaIthazar said:

the rooms could be empty featureless white boxes and it would still create lag once you get a few thousand of them

Why tho? I suspect the entire tileset is loaded at once, then the rooms are rendered as needed. A room instance would only be a reference with a list of objects in it.