Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Real Life Nekros In Indonesia (Sort Of - Walking Corpses)

.solitus

Note to moderators : please move this topic if needed.

I studied a tradition in my neighboring country, Indonesia. Here, there is a unique necromancy in Toraja (a region). Situation : the tomb is located in the hills, and for those who died far away from the tomb, it is really difficult to carry his/her corpse to the hills. The terrain is difficult. Solution : the necromancer casted a spell on the dead bodies so they WALK (YES, THEY REALLY WALK) on the road to the tomb. Only the necromancer / certain people can accompany the walking corpse, others should lock themselves inside the house. Otherwise, if there is other people that shouldn't be there, the necromancy would fail, or e corpse would run and attack those who should've stayed at home. However, this is unlike the zombie, even though attaced, the living cannot turn into zombie. After the walking corpse arrived at the tomb, they laid themselves inside the tomb.

Ready to see the picture?

150322_original.jpg

toraja1.jpg

Nekros : "Well.... I should have been sued for copyright infridgement"

Edited by XTenno

Ok ok, it appears to be mummies. They don't actually walk but people make them walk.

The legend comes from the fact that people spotted mummies walking in the streets during the funeral ceremonies.

Edited by matto

I'd like to point out a that the corpses are locked in position (look at the feet of the first one), the fact that those corpses are very light at that point due to the embalming process, and that someone is holding them up in both of those pictures...

Edited by GottFaust

I guess you guys should look it up in youtube. The footage is real, and they didn't walk mummies. It is real. At first, I doubt it too.

I know I would certainly turn to YouTube to find proof that human understanding of biology is invalid.

Thank god for them internets.

Old Chinese have a very similar thing. In the old Chinese culture, people want to go back the place where they are born at before they die. Some of them dead accidentally or for whatever reason they cannot go back to that place. Back hundreds years ago, they pay for a guy (he is kinda an exorcist...) to control those dead bodies to go back home on foot at the night time. They will ring the bell (continually) while he and the dead bodies are walking so the other people will not go outside. Those dead bodies are not mean to attack people unless those people are dead by murder or some other people caused their death, these dead bodies will than transfer into Chinese vampire...they are the one who will attack people. (This is kinda out of the topic so i stop here but if you are interested, you can find the information on the Internet.)

Long story short.

In recently (well, not that recent. Its about 10-20 years ago) some people still witness an exorcist leading group of dead bodies back to the old village. And a TV show interview some of the existing exorcist (are they really an exorcist? this is questionable) and they claimed they are real and telling how they do it...(This is kinda out of the topic so i stop here but if you are interested, you can find the information on the Internet.)

But however, they also said that some people used their name and pretended they are the real exorcist and those "dead bodies" are real human. They used this method to transport illegal items/materials as people will fear to go outside when they are approached.

Anyway, this culture is dying as not so much people will believe this and no one is coming to learn (how to become an exorcist)

**There have many types of Chinese exorcist**