Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Suggestions for DE on making combined abilities with multiple frames

(PSN)a-sasquatch92

Hello, I'm a-sasquatch92 and I play Warframe almost every day on ps4. I want to thank Digital Extremes and the entire development team for being so vigilant toward this game.

I started this new topic to open a discussion about future additions to Warframe. I've made a few suggestions in the past, but i'm almost certain that I posted in the incorrect way.

I've actually got a few suggestions right now in regard to the Warframes themselves. I'm sure that I don't have to tell you about anything you've created, and I only know about this from the odd YouTube video here and there, but you know how you guys are working on a mechanic for Railjack called squad links?

While I must admit that I don't fully understand how this mechanic will work, my suggestion is this: Have you ever considered adding a mechanic that allows players to combine warframe abilities?

Let's say that you're in a squad of two in the middle of a sortie defense mission on Lua with varied types of enemies and the condition is enemy armor enhancement. While it wouldn't be too difficult to complete such a challenge, it would be pretty tedious if you were doing a nightmare mission or a fissure mission that was similar.

So what if your squad was comprised of a Frost and an Ember and the Frost decided to hold a position while being mobbed by enemies like heavy gunners and corrupted bombards with corrupted nullifiers starting to approach and Ember, instead of entering a snowglobe that"ll disappear when the Nullifier gets too close decides to throw a fireball at it and it detonates, killing or knocking down every enemy approaching within a wide radius? If that sounds a little too broken to consider, then consider a cooldown time of around 120-180 seconds for the combo cast to be done again, or the inability to cast another ability for a short period of time between the casting players, making them have to rely on weapons and skills until they're able to cast again.

If that still sounds too broken maybe consider disabling the secondary caster's ability for the duration of the mission. essentially, what I'm suggesting is a potential one-off for ALL Warframes. This would not only promote cooperation between squad or party members, but also be a godsend for less experienced players being taxi'd to higher level nodes for various purposes in a skeleton crew of a squad for the purpose of maintaining survivability. I had a few more suggestions, but honestly after fixing typos I forgot. Let me know what you think about the idea. I know that Zephyr has a similar effect with her 4, but I'm thinking large-scale destruction, not crowd control. As a wise man once said: "There's no kill quite like Overkill". 

The only thing I can think of that wouldn't create an inconceivable mountain of work for DE (with all the bugs that it implies) is to more or less mimic what GW2 does, but in a Warframe way.

In GW2 your abilities can create either a Field effect or a Finisher effect. When someone uses a Finisher effect inside an existing Field effect (either their own Field or someone else's) it applies the synergy then and there. For instance, the Blast finisher makes an AoE effect based on what Field it occurs in (Blast Finisher in a Smoke Field grants AoE stealth, but in a Water Field grants AoE healing).

I feel like even that would either get massively over-bloated with unique fields and finishers from the 42 warframes we've got, so they'd either need to keep them more simple (say, 10 different types each for Fields and Finishers at maximum) or just render the idea of synergy pointless as none of the players would be able to remember every different combination and how to use its effects.

You could say that it's just particular warframes, like perhaps warframes suited to a theme (Excal/Valkyr/Garuda as 'blade' warframes) or picking opposites (Ember and Frost), but then you're getting into the grounds of limiting player choices too much to achieve a rather limited goal, and DE have shot down ideas like that in the past (for good reason IMO)

I was thinking more along the lines of basing the synergy around damage types a that we already have, like how toxin and cold makes viral, heat and cold: blast, electric and heat, etc. and for the rest maybe a buff in range or damage with a new distribution mechanic, especially with IPS and relative damage types like slash and impact. who knows, maybe the damage mechanics could be spliced, like a combo of impact and slash giving a weaker slash proc with reduced mobility because of deformed armor.

• 3 weeks later...