Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Energy Weapon Idea - Replacing Ammo

gaurdianaq

So I was just thinking, weapons that shoot energy instead of conventional rounds doesn't really make sense that you need ammo pick ups.

So I was just thinking, what if energy weapons acted similar to how they do in halo, where hypothetically you can fire them as much as you want, but if you fire them to much in a short amount of time they over heat and the cool down time would be similar to a reload time.

The catch would be that instead of picking up ammo, you could pick up little charge or battery packs or something, and these batteries would be global across all current and future energy weapons.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Also ya the other guy who just made a post about Energy weapons made me think about this but I figured I'd post my own take on it and try to balance it a little more.

Edited by gaurdianaq

I just figured if you shot it for long enough it would over heat so in your example, 10 shots in a row it over heats but if you were to shoot like 5 shots, let it cool, you could then first like another burst of shots without ever overheating it.

And in this case, Ammo Drum will either increase the number of shots, and/or decrease the recovery time of the cool down when you stop firing in-between shots (not when it's overheated). Fast Hand will to decrease overheat cooldown of course.

It can also work in this way: Ammo Drum only increase number of consecutive shots before overheating, and Fast Hand decrease both the cooldown between shots and overheat.

Could be pretty neat.

Edited by Casardis

This wouldn't change anything at all. Instead of picking up ammo boxes, you're picking up batteries? Functionally, it's identical.

About the overheat system, I've played Halo and Armored Core, which both use it, and it's just a disguised reload system. Let's say you're talking about the Dera, for instance. Each "bullet" will only cost a tiny amount of heat, an empty magazine would equal a full heat bar, and the time you'd spend "cooling down" is equivalent to a reload time.

I just figured if you shot it for long enough it would over heat so in your example, 10 shots in a row it over heats but if you were to shoot like 5 shots, let it cool, you could then first like another burst of shots without ever overheating it.

Generally speaking, heat is proportional to damage. If you're firing something like the Viper in 4-round bursts and letting it cool, you're doing the same thing as firing and reloading every time. The length of the reload may be split among multiple cooling cycles, but it's still there.

Unless this is all about aesthetics and not mechanics. In that case, by all means go ahead.