Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is This Gaming Laptop Worth The Money?

Aspari

I use a gaming laptop, and I love mine, but I would very much reccomend you try to get to a shop and actually HOLD the thing. It may sound silly but you want it to have some physical durability and not to be too flimsy ESPECIALLY at the base with the fans....

Your general cooling system will be probably more important than anything and no amount of cool hardware will be worth it if the thing is unable to survive running it at full tilt. This goes for all computers but laptops especially

Edited by Santaphrax

I use a gaming laptop, and I love mine, but I would very much reccomend you try to get to a shop and actually HOLD the thing. It may sound silly but you want it to have some physical durability and not to be too flimsy ESPECIALLY at the base with the fans....

Your general cooling system will be probably more important than anything and no amount of cool hardware will be worth it if the thing is unable to survive running it at full tilt. This goes for all computers but laptops especially

What this man says. Toshiba is notorious for its low- and middle-end notebook's building quality.

Also check its screen. Colors, viewing angles, and so on. You should like what you'll see on this screen. 

And one last thing. Even if you can't fit a desktop in your place, at least consider to get a monitor. Even 15,6" screen is eye-breaking to use permanently, especially because of miserable quality of most LCD panels installed in notebooks.

Edited by Khranitel

It will do the job.

Would not expect all graphics on high.

It's about as much as I would spend on a laptop which I intend to casually game on.

With laptops, once they are getting old there is little which can be done about upgrading them to get some more life out of it

But then again I prefer a gaming desktop for gaming.

This.

The right hinge on my Toshiba's lid has come apart. I have to call them so they can fix it. It's not broken, but I couldn't agree more. It was my fault for buying it online, but whatever. Seriously, I would advise you to buy it at a nearby retailer.

I don't say that lightly, either. I have a Toshiba Satellite S875-S7140. From what I can tell, my computer is a step up from that one.

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Satellite-S875-S7140-17-3-Inch-Aluminum/dp/B00AY1FCZS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381252503&sr=8-1&keywords=Toshiba+Satellite+s875-s7140

Just scroll down to the product information. If you're set on a Toshiba, I'd recommend getting a Toshiba Qosmio, as they're built for gaaming. They're more expensive (about $1,000) but it might be worth it if you're a hardcore nonstop gamer. My laptop was $829.99 when I bought it.

Edited by zachles

Unless you need the laptop ASAP, I would hold off a little. Black Friday and Holiday deals are just around the corner.

I think I'll do this. I might find that same laptop for 400 bucks or less on Black Friday/ Cyber Monday.