Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How to make missions "Fun!"

Trusnam

Have multiple, simultaneous objectives in a single squad mission.

Specifically objectives that aren't placed in the exact same area. 

Example: Have a mission where you have to do mobile defense and collect data from a vault like in a spy mission and both can be done at the same time in the mission, but don't have to be done at the same time if the players in the mission don't want to do it all at once.

Killing all the enemies with Mesa won't be a big deal that way, as if she's taking care of one objective then someone else can take care of another objective. 

You can also add in the other objectives as optional in a normal mission to get more rewards. Like while capturing a target you also exterminate the rest of the crew, go to a data vault somewhere in the mission (spy mission stuff), or find a console that can be hacked while you defend it, to get additional rewards.

Regular missions with one objective can be fun and relaxing, but getting to do more stuff while doing a mission like those would not only give you options, but allow players to separate and use their separate builds for what they were build for, with less chance of being overshadowed by someone else's all consuming build.

I just think it would really spice up the game. And these sorts of missions could happen on the Plains of Eidolon or in the Orb Valis rather than players needing to be guided to one objective at a time. 

Additionally you could make missions where you have multiple objectives at once and when they're all separately taken care of then the last objective (like go kill the boss) would begin and all the players would unite to take it on before the mission was over.

Does this sound like a good idea or is it just me?

To the other players: Upvote this or leave a comment if you like this idea to help DE see it.

Edit: I specifically think that adding in simultaneous objectives to unlock a final objective upon their completion, would be best, as it would allow players to separate, but help to keep them all focused on a singular goal like the normal missions that only have one objective do.

Edited by Trusnam
  • Like 2

Additional objectives would be cool but mostly if you're aware of them beforehand so a player isn't surprised by a spy objective or something. I do always appreciate the pop up when the Lotus says "Change of plans, leave nothing alive." Splitting teams up would give the advantage of finishing missions faster or being more careful by sticking together. Just as long as timers aren't introduced I think multi objective missions would be fine. 

I agree, this has been something I've suggested for a long time.

Back in the day, the higher level missions often added a second objective to complete, but the issue with this was that it forced you to stay longer unexpectedly.

Realistically, I want a more 'free play' option, like the Open World tiles. Go there with a particular mission in mind, stay for side objectives along the way. It's part of a huge long-term overhaul plan I had that would give DE so much room to expand the game and interconnect the systems the way they've wanted to for ages.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, (XB1)Red Dough Boy said:

Additional objectives would be cool but mostly if you're aware of them beforehand so a player isn't surprised by a spy objective or something. I do always appreciate the pop up when the Lotus says "Change of plans, leave nothing alive." Splitting teams up would give the advantage of finishing missions faster or being more careful by sticking together. Just as long as timers aren't introduced I think multi objective missions would be fine. 

Oh yeah, having them be a surprise would suck. If implemented, the missions should state that it has multiple objectives and should state what type of objectives there are. And yeah timers should only be a thing from nightmare versions of the missions.

11 minutes ago, Xarteros said:

Back in the day, the higher level missions often added a second objective to complete, but the issue with this was that it forced you to stay longer unexpectedly.

Realistically, I want a more 'free play' option, like the Open World tiles. Go there with a particular mission in mind, stay for side objectives along the way. It's part of a huge long-term overhaul plan I had that would give DE so much room to expand the game and interconnect the systems the way they've wanted to for ages.

Yeah, having the objective suddenly change can be interesting, but gets super annoying really fast if it happens too often. The missions, I would hope they add, would tell you if there is more than one objective when you look at the mission details before starting it.

Totally, if they add optional objectives in the free roam missions they could easily incorporate the whole idea they had to have players from free roam missions send codes to players doing the Railjack missions that need codes.
Essentially, all they'd have to do is set it up so that if someone was doing a railjack mission and needed a code from someone doing a free roam mission, then the optional objective would be available to anyone doing a free roam mission.

One problem I do see with the idea of having optional objectives though is: if you have optional objectives and some players want to do them and other players that don't can just go and force the others extract with them. 
But then again, that's another issue entirely as there already are some missions with optional objectives (such as the lua, or kuva missions) that showcase that issue. 

I can say this is related to railjack mode. In railjack , there's nodes that have objectives in them and some that are just plain simple ( exterminate) I know for certain people perfer to do Gian Point because there's less objective which would mean less time it takes to complete the mission giving them more time to farm it again . While other railjack nodes that have objectives will take time to do. As much as I love to do the objective one , I don't quite like playing it solo.. definitely rare to see someone come and assit in the objective nodes . So yea it's definitely something.

2 hours ago, XiuyengLor said:

I can say this is related to railjack mode. In railjack , there's nodes that have objectives in them and some that are just plain simple ( exterminate) I know for certain people perfer to do Gian Point because there's less objective which would mean less time it takes to complete the mission giving them more time to farm it again . While other railjack nodes that have objectives will take time to do. As much as I love to do the objective one , I don't quite like playing it solo.. definitely rare to see someone come and assit in the objective nodes . So yea it's definitely something.

Hmm, I kind of forgot about railjack when I made this post. And yeah, it does take a lot more time to do the railjack missions that have multiple objectives. I don't think DE gives you any better rewards due to missions being longer either, rather they seem to give better rewards for the missions being higher leveled. But then again I haven't played much railjack as it's just a lot to take care of on top of dealing with the objectives. 

I do think they went in the right direction with railjack, but I also think they made it a bit too complicated. Though only a bit. Not sure what they need to cut back on, but they do need to give better rewards for the number of objectives in each mission then they have. Like maybe a choice between certain mods or components instead of just getting a random one.

I also really like this idea if it is exclusive to a new (endless) Missiontype on the Starchart.

like @(XB1)Red Dough Boy mentioned, not many people like it when the objective suddenly changes because they didnt go in for that.

But an endless Missiontype in which objectives constantly mix could be really interesting and challenging.

Also, it would adress the following problem you mentioned just fine:

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Trusnam:

Killing all the enemies with Mesa won't be a big deal that way, as if she's taking care of one objective then someone else can take care of another objective.

Regular missions with one objective can be fun and relaxing, but getting to do more stuff while doing a mission like those would not only give you options, but allow players to separate and use their separate builds for what they were build for, with less chance of being overshadowed by someone else's all consuming build.

Right now the approach to this problem basically is to nerf whatever gets way too strong, and while i partially think its ok to nerf gamebreaking stuff your approach of just giving everyone something else to do is a lot better. Other players can still feel and be useful even when there is a minmaxed Mesa around.

If i should make a framework for this gamemode it would look like this:

• endless gamemode
  • maybe "Survival" is the foundation of the mission - this means survival objective is always active
  • in certain intervals other Objectives get added (there should be always one other objective active at all times)

These Sideobjectives:

• give life support after completing it for your Main Objective
  • give an extra reward like those missions would when you play them in a normal mission (so you might get a Relic for completing a Capture)
  • disappear after a few minutes if no one approaches them (you can stack maybe 3 Sideobjectives, but after that no more spawn until others are completed)

The result should be some sort of a Risk/Reward Mechanic. It should be a bit harder to always concentrate on life support while also sending out people to Sideobjectives, but when a Team is good at doing that they will get rewarded. Since they also give small amounts of LifeSupport (like a Kuvaextractor in a Kuva Survival) you could also use them as a backup for moments in which you struggle with LifeSupport.

Edited by DreisterDino

17 minutes ago, DreisterDino said:

I also really like this idea if it is exclusive to a new (endless) Missiontype on the Starchart.

like @(XB1)Red Dough Boy mentioned, not many people like it when the objective suddenly changes because they didnt go in for that.

But an endless Missiontype in which objectives constantly mix could be really interesting and challenging.

If i should make a framework for this gamemode it would look like this:

• endless gamemode
  • maybe "Survival" is the foundation of the mission - this means survival objective is always active
  • in certain intervals other Objectives get added (there should be always one other objective active at all times)

These Sideobjectives:

• give life support after completing it for your Main Objective
  • give an extra reward like those missions would when you play them in a normal mission (so you might get a Relic for completing a Capture)
  • disappear after a few minutes if no one approaches them (you can stack maybe 3 Sideobjectives, but after that no more spawn until others are completed)

The result should be some sort of a Risk/Reward Mechanic. It should be a bit harder to always concentrate on life support while also sending out people to Sideobjectives, but when a Team is good at doing that they will get rewarded. Since they also give small amounts of LifeSupport (like a Kuvaextractor in a Kuva Survival) you could also use them as a backup for moments in which you struggle with LifeSupport.

Dang yeah, that would be awesome!

Yea in those Objective ones in Railjack , they seems to me to have a chance to drop a ship part. I been doing Gian point and man . Hardly getting any new mk3 stuff. So I went to farm one of the nodes that had objective and I suddenly began getting mk3 gears quite frequent than Gian Point. But yea results will definitely vary