Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My warframe experience, from an old returning player

(PSN)raz-jj

I started playing warframe very early in the days, when we just had the starters warframes and the original starchart. I didn't last long. The game had a nice vibe but it didn't really make much sense to me, so I stopped playing. I would try it again during the following years, only to be frustrated because the game was always changing and I couldn't keep up.

Then, a few months ago i decided to start again from scratch, from my ps4 because I no longer had a gaming pc. It's been a few months and I can say that:

1. It's been frustrating at times. The game doesn't really make your life easy to understand. I spent a lot of time on the wiki. This can be offsetting to people like me that can usually play a couple of hours a day. Informations about mechanics should be more streamlined into the content, and not just holed up in the codex or into the wiki.

2. I absolutely loved the storyline, but it's messy. The game didn't make sense until I started The second dream questline. Why am I killing grineers and corpus? Sometimes it still doesn't make sense. I realise there are sub-factions among grineers and corpus, but they are not really explained and thus even the bosses are pretty dull. The only one I kind of understood was Alad V, probably because he's more included into the latest story quests. I feel like warframe should be much more story driven, because I believe DE has amazing writers and I love how dark it gets. The recent events reminded me of Sarah Kerrigan story from Starcraft.

3. Lich system and Kuva weapons are a very nice addiction to the game, which makes it feel like a classic arpg, because weapons can have different rolls and because they are usually better than their normal counterparts. The gear system feels a bit dull at times for me. Every weapon is exactly the same and there isn't any obvious tier system. This can be good, because you can just play whatever you want without restriction, but it's also what made me love the Diablo and Borderlands series so much: the hunt for the special legendary. As I said, Kuva weapons are somewhat similar to this system, but not quite.

4. I just have to say that I love the graphic style of our warframes. They remind me of Evangelion. Especially Excalibur Umbra, where you can see the flesh and bones beneath the helmet. Wish we could have more skin choices like that, where we can see the deformed flesh of our warframes.

5. I feel like warframe always sufferend from spaces too narrow. I loved the recent upgrades to Jupiter. I know most people dislike it, but I feel like we could use more remasters like that.

Overall I feel De is doing an amazing job, but they should probably focus less on brand new content, and remaster/tune what they already have. There is a lot already and there is actually so much going on that new players, or just players with a few hours of gaming time available, can be put off. No game needs new content every few months. My 2 cents.

Edited by (PS4)raz-jj
  • Like 1

Thanks for sharing your perspective 👍 Personally, I enjoy seeing how others sum up their experience and what they like doing.

When you referenced the recent upgrades, did you mean Saturn or Jupiter? 🤔 I don’t recall Saturn getting a remaster, so my mind jumped to the Gas City of Jupiter remaster

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, (PS4)raz-jj said:

Sorry it was Jupiter, yeah.

Gotcha. I feel you when you say we could do with more remasters like it. I move around Jupiter without bullet jumping, and in engaging with the level more I personally find it a beauty to move through. Looking forward to Deadlock Protocol with its remastered Corpus Ship tileset, if Jupiter is any indicator of what to expect for movement capability 🤗

Edited by (NSW)Greybones

I was gone for a while and just found myself getting really frustrated with all the gating and the (still) lack of check pointing or option to "leave with rewards" in the event of a host/squad DC on missions. Gotta love hitting wave 29 and getting a host migration, then losing the squad, and then having to solo the last 2 waves as a frame not meant to do so.

Or getting 9 fractures done and then getting a disconnect because your roomate unplugs the router instead of his laptop and getting no rewards after over an hour of gameplay.