Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gaming Laptop Losing Fps (Solved)

Lovejoy117

So when I first got this Asus Ultrabook, Warframe ran at full speed with all graphics turned up. This lasted about a week. As of 2 days ago, I am barely getting 20 FPS and there is a really bad delay in movements. What's going on? I tried resetting my computer multiple times, but nothing is working. Even running Warframe through Razer's Game Booster isn't helping. Here are my specs: 8GB Ram Intel inside CORE i7 NVIDIA Geforce 745m Windows 8

Edited by Lovejoy117

You're running it on a laptop. That's the issue here.

There's usually heat problems with graphics cards and most nVidia cards I know of have a "choke out" so they don't burn themselves out, usually at around 85C they start to bottleneck. It might help you to place your laptop in a cooler area or use one of those nifty coolers. Just keep it elevated. 

Also, if you don't have nVidia's auto driver updater thingamajigger, definitely get it. The problem could be caused by an update within warframe [like the multithread] placing too much strain on your gfx card.

As just a general "should do this anyways" kinda thing, I'd recommend defragging, cleaning, fixing the registry and scanning for viruses/malware.

If you don't already, enable multi-threaded rendering through your Warframe launcher. I had just recently been experiencing an FPS loss, but after doing that, it's helped tremendously.

Just tried it, no improvement though, unfortunately. Vsync is off, too. I know that usually causes a delay, but this is still happening.

You're running it on a laptop. That's the issue here.

There's usually heat problems with graphics cards and most nVidia cards I know of have a "choke out" so they don't burn themselves out, usually at around 85C they start to bottleneck. It might help you to place your laptop in a cooler area or use one of those nifty coolers. Just keep it elevated. 

Also, if you don't have nVidia's auto driver updater thingamajigger, definitely get it. The problem could be caused by an update within warframe [like the multithread] placing too much strain on your gfx card.

As just a general "should do this anyways" kinda thing, I'd recommend defragging, cleaning, fixing the registry and scanning for viruses/malware.

I have a really good fan for the laptop. Keeps the temperature low at all times. I'm sure this laptop can handle Waframe, cuz it was running perfectly fine at first and the specs totally exceed the amount needed to run Warframe. Thanks for the advice though!

Just make sure all of your drivers are updated, and if they are then just wait for the next update to come out because it sounds like its a driver issue. I have similar, less powerful, gfx card than you do and I am not having issues (have the same ram and processor). My drivers are updated. Good luck!

Ok I figured out something. I tried opening the Nvidia control panel and was given this error: "you are not currently using a display attached to an nvidia gpu"

Tried googling some things but everything says to uninstall the drivers. That sounds iffy. Any thoughts?

Ok I figured out something. I tried opening the Nvidia control panel and was given this error: "you are not currently using a display attached to an nvidia gpu"

Tried googling some things but everything says to uninstall the drivers. That sounds iffy. Any thoughts?

do it

uninstall teh drivers and reupdate them

I did but when I tried reinstalling it, I got an error saying that I didn't have the required hardware. Wtf

You have to download your drivers directly from your laptop manufacturer. The generic NVIDIA drivers wont work for laptops without some hacking. Unfortunately, it also means that they will be out of date, but what can you do? (answer: dont buy gaming laptops)

you appear to be running the game (and everything else on-screen) with the laptop's integrated graphics, which is brawny, but not a gaming powerhouse. And this is probably the cause of the fps drop.

For some reason the Nvidia card seems to be offline as the driver installer can't detect it, which could be because of various reasons. I'm not that good with windows 8.

I warmly suggest to head to http://www.eightforums.com/

They have plenty of experts (and tools and tutorials) that can help you out with these things. For free.

I'm registered with the same nickame on Sevenforums, the version of that forum for Windows 7.

Edited by bobafetthotmail