The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

IPS (Impact, Puncture, Slash) Status mods rework

5p33dy_01

29 minutes ago, 5p33dy_01 said:

The reason is because Slash and Viral status dont work on it 😛 , slash bleed is probably the very reason they made it not work.

You're taking it out of context. I'm saying that Radiation is strongest when the Eidolon just has almost non-existing armor. Scaling more health doesn't make Viral and Slash stronger. In fact, it makes the combo weaker. Slash is only strong because it ignores armor scaling that all other damage types have to fight through. Slash tics only fight through health, so it will be weaker if health is scaled more.

If armor didn't scale, Puncture+Viral would be better than Viral/Slash.

Against a Level 8 Heavy Gunner with 500 ferrite armor, which is 62.5% Damage Reduction.

100 Neutral will deal 37.5.

100 Impact will deal 28. 

100 Puncture will deal 82.

100 Slash will deal 42. (Half the damage of Puncture)

100 Base damage, Bleed ticks for 35 each.

If armor didn't scale and was fixed, these numbers won't change regardless of level. Slash damage + Bleed tic is less DPS than Puncture at fixed armor values.

Viral procs simply multiply these numbers and won't make a lick of difference.

Puncture > Slash at all levels if armor didn't scale.

That's how early game damage was designed. Slash for infested. Puncture for Grineer. Impact for Corpus. 

Scaling armor simply breaks the game in favor of Slash.

Slash ignores armor scaling and armor scaling devalues all other damage. Get rid of scaling armor and scale health more and suddenly, Slash isn't so good anymore.

Edited by DealerOfAbsolutes

1 hour ago, DealerOfAbsolutes said:

If armor didn't scale, Puncture+Viral would be better than Viral/Slash.

maybe im not understanding how this works.

do you not have to go through armour to get to health and if you skip the armour, you would actually be doing more damage?

in other words, the bleed from slash goes directly to health, and viral amplifies it by upto +325% making that bleed tick something like 148.75, not 35.
where as, puncture will still be hitting the armour at 82, so where does the viral amplifier come in, since you are still wacking the armour, not the health directly?

this is my understanding

56 minutes ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

Health scales with level.

yes it does, but not enough at the moment.

they would need 10x more health, maybe even more, for them to actually be any sort of challenge, both now and if they make armour a fixed value.

as i said in another post, 
i can kill level 160 demolysts pretty fast and they have base health of 2500, which is 3.5x more base health than heavy gunners at 700.

Edited by 5p33dy_01

1 hour ago, 5p33dy_01 said:

maybe im not understanding how this works.

do you not have to go through armour to get to health and if you skip the armour, you would actually be doing more damage?

in other words, the bleed from slash goes directly to health, and viral amplifies it by upto +325% making that bleed tick something like 148.75, not 35.
where as, puncture will still be hitting the armour at 82, so where does the viral amplifier come in, since you are still wacking the armour, not the health directly?

this is my understanding

yes it does, but not enough at the moment.

they would need 10x more health, maybe even more, for them to actually be any sort of challenge, both now and if they make armour a fixed value.

as i said in another post, 
i can kill level 160 demolysts pretty fast and they have base health of 2500, which is 3.5x more base health than heavy gunners at 700.

Armor just provides damage reduction to health. It doesn't actually cover health like shields do. Puncture damage would simply be multiplied the same way Slash damage and the bleed tics are. In fixed armor case, Puncture would give you more upfront damage against armored targets. Fixed armor would simply carry over the damage balance from early game.

Remember:

Slash for infested.

Puncture for Grineer.

Impact for Corpus.

The weakness triangle only breaks due to armor scaling up. 

4 minutes ago, DealerOfAbsolutes said:

Armor just provides damage reduction to health. It doesn't actually cover health like shields do. Puncture damage would simply be multiplied the same way Slash damage and the bleed tics are. In fixed armor case, Puncture would give you more upfront damage against armored targets. Fixed armor would simply carry over the damage balance from early game.

Remember:

Slash for infested.

Puncture for Grineer.

Impact for Corpus.

The weakness triangle only breaks due to armor scaling up. 

ok.

do you think the community would be interested in testing how fixed armour would work?
like, to check and see if it resolves the IPS issue?

do you know if people have suggested it in the past, and if they have, the general response from DE and community?