Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Pokemon X / Y Friend Code / Discussion Thread

Azure_Kytia

You also have to remember that MMawile only has base 50 speed. Switch out and risk getting something else burned. SD up and only remain neutral which then allows the opponent one turn to do whatever he/she wants. Sub and you'll have 25% less hp w/ residual damage from burn while also having 50% less attack.

reason i have magic guard alakazam on my team,switch back in after that do a sub while he switches,he can't burn you anymore thanks to sub protection.

sort of a silly question, I could look back through the topic and just make note of all the pokemon we've talked about, but I was wondering if you guys have any recommendations for competitive pokemon I could breed? I decided I'm going to cleanse my boxes of unnecessary pokemon (readily available, competitively useless ones), and have a plethora of various competitive threats ready to go. sort of like PS, but not easy. I figure it shouldn't bee too much of a hassle for the most part, as I have a lot of 5V pokemon in a variety of egg groups already

so what are some of your favorite pokemon to use competitively that aren't legendaries or genderless? I also just bred some prankster+recover sableyes if anyone is interested. they're careful, but I can breed some calm ones as well. just looking to breed some interesting pokemon, give me something to do other than get beaten by japanese players (I do alright against other countries. but its like the Saints playing outdoors, just not a good record for whatever reason)

and I already have adamant scizor, timid greninjas, adamant talonflame, a naive garchomp with rocky helmet (good deterrent to a lot of physical attackers), brave aegislash, quiet aegislash, dual screens klefki, careful sableye, jolly megaskhan, and some novel slurpuffs, a heliolisk, and a clawitzer (experimental doubles/triples team. marginal success).

reason i have magic guard alakazam on my team,switch back in after that do a sub while he switches,he can't burn you anymore thanks to sub protection.

And if he stays in? Bait'n'switch is a common tactic and it's easy to see through (Well, for me it is considering that I've been competitively playing pokemon since the early days of DPP)

sort of a silly question, I could look back through the topic and just make note of all the pokemon we've talked about, but I was wondering if you guys have any recommendations for competitive pokemon I could breed? I decided I'm going to cleanse my boxes of unnecessary pokemon (readily available, competitively useless ones), and have a plethora of various competitive threats ready to go. sort of like PS, but not easy. I figure it shouldn't bee too much of a hassle for the most part, as I have a lot of 5V pokemon in a variety of egg groups already

so what are some of your favorite pokemon to use competitively that aren't legendaries or genderless? I also just bred some prankster+recover sableyes if anyone is interested. they're careful, but I can breed some calm ones as well. just looking to breed some interesting pokemon, give me something to do other than get beaten by japanese players (I do alright against other countries. but its like the Saints playing outdoors, just not a good record for whatever reason)

and I already have adamant scizor, timid greninjas, adamant talonflame, a naive garchomp with rocky helmet (good deterrent to a lot of physical attackers), brave aegislash, quiet aegislash, dual screens klefki, careful sableye, jolly megaskhan, and some novel slurpuffs, a heliolisk, and a clawitzer (experimental doubles/triples team. marginal success).

Mandibuzz is a favorite of mine. She's pretty solid now considering that defog received a massive buff this gen.

Azumarill and Diggersby are pretty damn good.

I know you said no genderless, but Rotom-W is just so good (counters Talonflame so hard and dents any pokemon even if they resist water) .

MESaur makes a good grass type if you want to make a FWG core. If you have trouble with dragon types,

Mamoswine is the ultimate, anti-meta, dragon check so you should get one if you don't already.

Multiscale D-nite w/ Weakness Policy is also an excellent choice if you're looking for a bulky sweeper.

Defiant Bisharp is good since it's a counter to Sticky Web teams (+2 attack every time it switches in).

Ferrothorn is one of the best support pokemon so you should definitely get that (rough skin hurts rapid spin users and breaks forretress' sturdy every time it tries to rapid spin on ferrothorn).

Chesnaught is also a mon that you should consider getting. He's a counter to gengar (considering that the most popular item for gengar is choice scarf, you could switch in Chesnaught on the predicted shadow ball or if he's used any other 'ball'-esque moves).

MMawile is something you should consider. Despite it being slow, it has good bulk and a high attack stat.

MMedicham is another excellent choice for a sweeper. It's fast and strong and can hit the entire meta for neutral.

Assault Vest Tyranitar is another option to counter Gengar (If you're having trouble against it) and a great mon in general.

Pangoro is a gimmicky pokemon that provides a nice pivot switch (parting shot allows you to switch in whatever you want for 1 turn).

Togekiss is one of the best defensive fairy types. If you're having trouble with choice banded Terrakion spamming close combat, choice specs keldeo spamming secret sword, choice scarf garchomp outrage, or any fighting/dragon type, Togekiss is your mon. It also makes a great partner for Blissey.

If I think of any more, I'll just PM you.

Edited by MiNDBREAKz

awesome! yeah, the only issue with legendaries and genderless is trying to get good IV's. I had a decent Rotom-Wash on my black2 cart, I'll have to check his stats out. but rotom-w is huge, I've seen him a lot this gen. also bred a decent bulletproof chesnaught earlier on, but he doesn't have synthesis, which is his only recovery move, so I'll have to look into it. also don't know why I haven't bred a sucker punch MMawile yet, another beastly pokemon

well, if I get some time I've got work to do. this is definitely better than trying to breed shinies without the shiny charm, that takes way too long

Also as a note, Togekiss will win you matches due to rage quits.

Twave + air slash is an evil combo, combine that with its bulk, speed and access to recovery, and you have a poke that is pretty much impossible to kill.

Also CB Bisharp knock off will one shot Aegislash even in defensive stance.

And sucker punch has a decent shot at ohkoing if it has taken a bit of damage.

Also defiant Bisharp laughs at kings shield.

understandably so, dat paraflinch combo is terrible. and has bisharp really been seeing a lot more action this gen? also understandable, since he sounds like a pretty solid counter to aegislash, with the knockoff buff and defiant, assuming you don't switch into a sacred sword

also, semi-related, I found a usage statistics thread on smogon regarding doubles battles for pre-pokebank OU, so I was checking out what other people were typically using and gathering some information on movesets. might just go down the line on that one as well, but obviously it has more pokemon that use area of effect moves (like heat wave charizard-Y. you wouldn't switch in zard in typical 6v6 singles battles because of the abundance of SR. hazards are a lot less common in doubles, due to relative lack of switching and such)

understandably so, dat paraflinch combo is terrible. and has bisharp really been seeing a lot more action this gen? also understandable, since he sounds like a pretty solid counter to aegislash, with the knockoff buff and defiant, assuming you don't switch into a sacred sword

also, semi-related, I found a usage statistics thread on smogon regarding doubles battles for pre-pokebank OU, so I was checking out what other people were typically using and gathering some information on movesets. might just go down the line on that one as well, but obviously it has more pokemon that use area of effect moves (like heat wave charizard-Y. you wouldn't switch in zard in typical 6v6 singles battles because of the abundance of SR. hazards are a lot less common in doubles, due to relative lack of switching and such)

Bisharp is moreso a check to Aegislash than a counter (it can't safely switch into Sacred sword). And yeah, Bisharp has been seeing some use (almost made it into OU). Every time it switches into sticky web, it's automatically at +2.

Bisharp is moreso a check to Aegislash than a counter (it can't safely switch into Sacred sword). And yeah, Bisharp has been seeing some use (almost made it into OU). Every time it switches into sticky web, it's automatically at +2.

ah, yeah that would be the better term. that's not bad, so sounds like galvantula's getting some time in the spotlight too. when gen 5 just started I played some Pokemon Online a little bit, and I liked using galvantula as a lead. cool pokemon, very predictable and very frail, but still cool

I don't understand any of these competitive posts above me. Am I supposed to feel ashamed? ._.

nah, its all good, mate

I don't understand any of these competitive posts above me. Am I supposed to feel ashamed? ._.

If you need anything clarified, feel free to ask.

ah, yeah that would be the better term. that's not bad, so sounds like galvantula's getting some time in the spotlight too. when gen 5 just started I played some Pokemon Online a little bit, and I liked using galvantula as a lead. cool pokemon, very predictable and very frail, but still cool

nah, its all good, mate

Yeah, I loved Galvantula as a lead/nuker in gen 5. And now that Galvantula has sticky web, I love him even more.

If you don't play competitively, then no. And if you do, then it's still a no. Knowledge comes over time.

Edited by JRMC

Mindbreakz for me it worked the whole time already so i don't have trouble with bait 'n switch. :P

what is with defog? I know it removes hazards and such,is there another buff to it?

It removes hazards and screens from both sides of the field. It can't stopped via spin blockers (e.g. Trevenant, gengar). It can only be stopped by taunt. Because defog removes all entry hazards and has more opportunities to be used than rapid spin, it cripples stall and hyperoffensive teams (it's still viable, but it's just harder to do).

Stall in OU pretty much died in gen 5, Offensive types have gotten that much more offensive without defensive types receiving much of a buff. Even semi-stall is hard to pull off.

If you want to win as easily as possible just go full out hyper offense, who cares about predictions when you have Mega Luke Close Combat, take out the ghost and everything dies.

Just started using this on Showdown, it is actually a really nice Balanced team, all things considered.

Still OU (Skarmory) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 232 Def / 252 HP / 24 Spd
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Defog

Your Tormentor (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature