Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Fan Art Sketch-A-Thon.

redregon

There are so many great artists on this site (Seriously, a lot of amazing artistic skill here.)

I feel a little self-conscious about posting my own art-work because i know that there are many artists that are leaps and bounds more skillful than I am but I still do love to draw anyway (and i try and do some drawing every day though not every day works out that way. ;) )

Warframe-Excalibur-Sketch.png

Since I've found so much fun in the design and the game overall, I've been inspired by the game to draw some warframes.

I'm sure you could critique it to pieces but it's still something i do more for fun than anyhting else. (i'll hopefully return to this thread to post more fan-art.)

and yeah... i need more practice with doing hands. :lol:

Edited by redregon

Wow, thanks! :)

Wish I could draw like that, very cool.

If you have the drive, a pencil/pen and some paper, you can learn to.

Drawing isn't something that some can do while others will never be able to, it's all about pratice and perseverence. So, if you have the drive, go for it! you have nothing to lose!

Drawing isn't something that some can do while others will never be able to, it's all about pratice and perseverence. So, if you have the drive, go for it! you have nothing to lose!

I wish you were right about that - but sadly, I have no vision when it comes to drawing. I've been trying to learn for about 8 years now, but I've only made a tiny amount of progress...

Edit: Not to mention, I can't even really draw a straight line for more than an inch... It's like my fingers shiver when they're holding a pencil...

Edited by Battlewizard

I wish you were right about that - but sadly, I have no vision when it comes to drawing. I've been trying to learn for about 8 years now, but I've only made a tiny amount of progress...

Edit: Not to mention, I can't even really draw a straight line for more than an inch... It's like my fingers shiver when they're holding a pencil...

Hmm... well, if one method isn't working, maybe try another? if it helps, the one that got me started and gave me a decent start was the "how to draw comics the marvel way." it's geared mainly for comic-book styles but it is a rather comprehensive book and i think it's an invaluable resource. before that i was kinda floundering around and wasn't really improving anything but the muscle-memory of my hand while drawing specific shapes and outlines.

another book that also helped me a great deal was "Drawing on the Right side of the Brain" since it helps bridge the gap between the hand-eye coordination and the right-brain (which is where most abstract/visual thought comes from apparently.)

Maybe check your local library, they might have them there.

another book that also helped me a great deal was "Drawing on the Right side of the Brain" since it helps bridge the gap between the hand-eye coordination and the right-brain (which is where most abstract/visual thought comes from apparently.)

This is a true statement, by the way - are you left handed? The left hand connects to the right hemisphere of your brain - I'm right handed, which means left hemisphere connection.

There's an actual link between handedness and ability to draw or do maths... It's weird.

F---ing excellent!

I agree with Noctua but it's also a good thing to NOT be satisfied at a certain skill level. it is always good to advance.

in that respect, i agree with you redregon. (but your OP is still bad &#!!! none the less)

post the progress please!

lets see what your vision is for the final =D

This is a true statement, by the way - are you left handed? The left hand connects to the right hemisphere of your brain - I'm right handed, which means left hemisphere connection.

There's an actual link between handedness and ability to draw or do maths... It's weird.

Nope, i'm a righty. but, if it helps, i do have my head in the clouds a lot so maybe the right-side of my brain is just overcharged :P

You don't need practice, if you are born with the gift of art.

Nobody was ever born with a pencil in their hand and every artist had to learn how to do their thing at some point in their lives. ;) (even Leonardo DaVinci needed to learn... it's why for a while he was almost a criminal since he would raid the morturaries to dissect corpses to learn how the muscles were structured and connected... and that was a socially-unacceptable thing to do in his day.)

Edited by redregon

Nobody was ever born with a pencil in their hand and every artist had to learn how to do their thing at some point in their lives.

I didn't say people were born with pencils. I said they were born with the gift of being easily able to depict what they have in their heads or what they see.

I didn't say people were born with pencils. I said they were born with the gift of being easily able to depict what they have in their heads or what they see.

Yeah, some people do have an affinity for certain things but like everything that's more an indicator that we're a diverse species (the way i see it, that is.) But, to me the ability to depict things on paper is more an issue of hand-eye coordination and imagination. Both of which are skills which you can improve upon.

I mean, to help illustrate the point, when i first started those many, many years ago, i really did suck... and that's not me trying to be self-conscious about it, i actually truly sucked at drawing... but i didn't give up. so, essentially the only thing that stops people from learning is that they lose momentum and give up (which is unfortunate because there could be a Picasso or Rembrandt or DaVinci inside them yearning to be released.) ;)

Edited by redregon

Picasso, Rembrandt, DaVinci - they all were born with innate skill, a strong foundation for them to build upon. Ok, well Picasso actually just kinda... Yeah... A 7 year old could do that.

well, i'm going to have to go on record and say that i don't completely agree... but that's pretty much where i'm going to have to leave it alone because it seems that this could turn the thread down a less-than-positive avenue if we decided to argue about it.

So, rather than going back and forth presenting our cases, i think i'm going to head back to the drawing table (maybe get in a couple missions in the game afterwards.)

Edited by redregon

[ ... ]

Maybe check your local library, they might have them there.

I concur. That book is leaps and bounds beyond any other "how to draw <specific style>" book out there. It gets you into the mindset very well and makes you stay there.

About your sketch I have no idea what you're complaining about. You managed very well to keep true to the design in a free form sketch. All the body parts feel about right in volume and foreshortening. The stance doesn't look weightless or unstable. The instant of capture is a dynamic one. I wouldn't even complain about the hands in such a loose sketch.

One thing you could play around with is different weights (or brush sizes) for certain shapes and strokes. What you have here is a very clean and analytical approach of sorts. Sketching with a larger brush size f.e. can help the brain focus more on basic shapes and the dynamic of a sketch than on its intricacies like hands or the correct distance between eyes and chin (just to name a few tricky spots many people get hung up on).

I concur. That book is leaps and bounds beyond any other "how to draw <specific style>" book out there. It gets you into the mindset very well and makes you stay there.

About your sketch I have no idea what you're complaining about. You managed very well to keep true to the design in a free form sketch. All the body parts feel about right in volume and foreshortening. The stance doesn't look weightless or unstable. The instant of capture is a dynamic one. I wouldn't even complain about the hands in such a loose sketch.

One thing you could play around with is different weights (or brush sizes) for certain shapes and strokes. What you have here is a very clean and analytical approach of sorts. Sketching with a larger brush size f.e. can help the brain focus more on basic shapes and the dynamic of a sketch than on its intricacies like hands or the correct distance between eyes and chin (just to name a few tricky spots many people get hung up on).

Wow, this has to be amongst one of the best critiques i've had. The line-weight issue is something that i've fought with because i will admit i do tend to approach it from a more analytical frame of mind and i admit i do sometimes get hung up on the details while neglecting the overall image itself. As such, my default preference is for fine lines and a sharp pencil (or ball-point pen if i'm don't have a pencil handy.) I'm going to try the sketching with a wider brush to see if that helps shake me out of the analytical sense. Thank you very much!

I've been slowly working out of that approach though because i have A.D.D. and that does interfere sometimes since i tend to get distracted and fixate on details... but that is a bit of a personal thing (though i do not feel like i should hide it... having A.D.D./A.D.H.D. should not have to come with a negative social stigma.) And since i've finally found the right medication to help with that, it's allowing me to actually focus on the bigger picture rather than getting caught up in the fiddly bits (and since i'm also developing a game it has helped immensely since making a game is a LOOOOOOOOT of work. i'm not going to spam about it here though because that's not really what i'd consider appropriate... but, saying that i guess does give me the opportunity to appreciate all the work that went into Warframe since i've felt similar struggles that the team at Digital Extremes have likely faced.)

Edited by redregon

Don't try to get any immediate results. Sketching with big brushes is a preference mostly that CAN help in certain situations. And if nothing else it at least trains your eye and feel for dynamic lines. :)

And don't worry about the ADD, same boat here. (Though ADHD is a fundamentally different thing.)

I found that exercising (martial arts to be precise), music and always keeping a sketch book with me seems to help.