The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mouse and Keyboard on Console?

(XBOX)EZPlayZ9220

Hi Tenno! I'm new to Warframe on Xbox, I've made it halfway through Phobos, and wanted to ask whether the better Tenno would recommend that I use mouse and keyboard on console. So far I am enjoying controller, and this is actually my second account. My first one was on PC, and I used mouse and keyboard. It is worth mentioning that I have made it farther on console than PC, but still wanted to ask which one is better for Warframe on Xbox. Thanks, and have a great rest of your day!

I personally prefer using my controller for regular play even in my pc account.  But if you wanted to attatch a mouse and key you could.

The major thing i notice on pc vs ps4 is the sensativity of the controls.

On ps4 everything feels smooth on console.  On pc i use a xbox one controler which is too bulky in my opinion and no matter how much i tweak settings is either under or overly touchy.

I am fine typically in normal gameplay. But when selecting missions, fishing or in a railjack side gun using the mouse in my right hand well my left hand uses the stick on the controller works better for me.

I'd leave it up to preference. Personally I feel like controllers are a more casual experience, but Key-Mouse has advantages if you like precision weapons (Chakurr or Veldt for example). Also Key-Mouse i feel has better keybind opportunities, you don't have to sacrifice one of your precious few buttons for a handy hotkey.

22 hours ago, (PS4)Kakurine2 said:

On ps4 everything feels smooth on console.  On pc i use a xbox one controler which is too bulky in my opinion and no matter how much i tweak settings is either under or overly touchy.

Ironically my controller preference is the exact opposite, I prefer how the XB1 controller fills my hand. I have problems with over shooting the sticks with PS4 controllers because of how slim feeling the controller is. Might just be my massive paws not agreeing with the shape lol.

Controller.

Why ? Because console has no keybinding options, meaning that you are literally stuck whit the default, which is horrendous, as you have to brake your pinky finger every single time you want to bullet jump on console, you also have 0 chat functionality so if you wanna chat, you still have to use your controller.

The Keyboard x Mouse compatibility consoles have is most likely a leftover left by DE from PC, since PS4 and XBOX are basically ports of the game from PC to Console, meaning that it isnt an actual feature, and therefor is incomplete and broken, so, until DE actually thinks of making it an actual feature, you are better off using a controller, since you can actually do everything whit it.

1 hour ago, (PS4)I_I_Hope_I_I said:

Controller.

Why ? Because console has no keybinding options, meaning that you are literally stuck whit the default, which is horrendous, as you have to brake your pinky finger every single time you want to bullet jump on console, you also have 0 chat functionality so if you wanna chat, you still have to use your controller.

I mean keybinds are usable with controllers. I have my D-pad left and right rebound from the ability cycle to swap camera side(left) and gear item 5(right) to drop an energy pad. Always used the ability menu anyway so I considered those to be free spots. Not much else can be given up without compromise tho.

You have rebind options available for just about every input, so I don't imagine there is much of a porting issue with Key Mouse, but I don't personally own one so that's just my assumption.

Additional tip for XB1 users, if you download the companion app and link it to your Xbox, you can use your device's keyboard with the remote tool to easily type into text boxes. Helps avoid the painfully slow typing with sticks.

8 hours ago, (XB1)DeathwishDragon said:

I mean keybinds are usable with controllers. I have my D-pad left and right rebound from the ability cycle to swap camera side(left) and gear item 5(right) to drop an energy pad. Always used the ability menu anyway so I considered those to be free spots. Not much else can be given up without compromise tho.

You have rebind options available for just about every input, so I don't imagine there is much of a porting issue with Key Mouse, but I don't personally own one so that's just my assumption.

Additional tip for XB1 users, if you download the companion app and link it to your Xbox, you can use your device's keyboard with the remote tool to easily type into text boxes. Helps avoid the painfully slow typing with sticks.

Whatever change you make to your controller does not affect the keyboard, meaning that your keyboard is ALWAYS in default, as the game doesnt have a option to change its keybinds like it does for controllers., thats what I stated in my previous comment, so, even if you change, lets say, you whole ability wheel to up,down,left,right, it will still be 1,2,3,4 in your keyboard, even if you change melee from SQUARE to CIRCLE, it will still be E in keyboard, and so on.

So, again, until DE makes it an actual functional feature whit the ability to change keybinds and chat functionality, the keyboard isnt a viable option.

I think he misunderstood you because changing keyboard layouts is something the operating system, in this case Windows, can do.

Let me give you a quick explanation. Keyboards don't really send a signal saying "X key pressed" or "Escape key released". They send keycodes (or scancode if you go down to the hardware), which are a number from 0 to 255. Then your operating system converts it. This is how you can use alternative keyboard layouts like Dvorak without needing to buy a new keyboard, or people in other countries have their special letters and the only difference is the print on the keycap. In Spain where you have the semicolon people have the ñ.

So if the default layout of Warframe is uncomfortable, you can fix it. Switch the keyboard layout in Windows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scancode

Archived