Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hijack & Hacking

Sasuga

I just did a Hijack in Sortie, and realized I didn't need to hack at all. There's a computer that is triggered the release of the thing we were hijacking, and when I reached it I was (maybe oddly) disappointed that it didn't need to be hacked. Then, as we went along, there were door after door that we had to wait to be opened. I don't know if those doors have any meta-reason to exist (level loading, though with how large other levels are I can't imagine that being it, but whatever)... but the in-world reason would probably be security, I would think... and they don't need to be hacked open?

I'm sure a lot of people loath the idea of making things harder on us, but easy is boring, and there's a reason people wanted something like The Steel Path.

Also, this suggestion isn't really about being more difficult, just slightly more interesting.

In the days of the Trials AKA Raids there were consoles at each door that needed to be hacked to open the doors and there were mines along the rail the payload traveled that unless dealt with, oneshot it at the nightmare level Raid. also if my memory serves me right the rail was also electrocuted at each stage and you had to stand on platforms to disable the electricity, while another tenno kept it going forward. again on the nightmare level one mistake like someone stepping off their platform while the payload was still in that zone meant instant fail.

1 minute ago, EDM774 said:

In the days of the Trials AKA Raids there were consoles at each door that needed to be hacked to open the doors and there were mines along the rail the payload traveled that unless dealt with, oneshot it at the nightmare level Raid.

So they already had something like this, and they dumbed it down? Wow, bummer. 😞

Originially when that Grineer Hijack mission mode was introduced in the game, like many other modes, it was done through an event. (Tethra's Doom event 2014).

When people said this event was too easy, SUDDENLY the next day they introduced what you just described. Each door required hacking them open AND there were mines on the rails. If not destroyed by the players, it would do a lot of damage to the core when it reached a mine.

And then for the now-retired trials (Law of Retribution) game mode, it was simply ported over there as a segment and they added electric arcs on top of that which would also damage the core, requiring team co-op to step on switches to keep the electricity turned off while a player would safely move the core forward.   The nightmare mode of Law of Retribution would insta-kill the core if it hit the electricity, failing the mission.  (this was later nerfed to instead doing massive damage, about 3 shocks would destroy the core).

But yeah, the whole thing got dumbed down tremendously over the years.

3 minutes ago, MystMan said:

Originially when that Grineer Hijack mission mode was introduced in the game, like many other modes, it was done through an event. (Tethra's Doom event 2014).

When people said this event was too easy, SUDDENLY the next day they introduced what you just described. Each door required hacking them open AND there were mines on the rails. If not destroyed by the players, it would do a lot of damage to the core when it reached a mine.

And then for the now-retired trials (Law of Retribution) game mode, it was simply ported over there as a segment and they added electric arcs on top of that which would also damage the core, requiring team co-op to step on switches to keep the electricity turned off while a player would safely move the core forward.   The nightmare mode of Law of Retribution would insta-kill the core if it hit the electricity, failing the mission.  (this was later nerfed to instead doing massive damage, about 3 shocks would destroy the core).

But yeah, the whole thing got dumbed down tremendously over the years.

Wow, thanks.

The Sorties even have a shield, which makes it super easy to just hide in. Sure, one can't use their powers inside, but it's a shield! 😞

Off-topic-ish...

I've noticed the dumbing down of games everywhere, and it's so annoying.

X-Com Apocalypse you could deploy several squads all around a map at the start of a mission, give your soldiers high mobility by giving them a light load, or packing them up with so much gear they could barely move. I used to have a missile-soldier that carried a missile launcher, and a few missiles, and then an ammo soldier that carried more missiles and other ammo tucked in places, to pass those missiles to the missile soldier.

Now the new X-Com comes out, and we get four troopers, one primary weapon, a secondary, and maybe some grenades or a medkit. Totally dumbed down.

I get that executives and designers figure they'll design things for the dumb people, as smart people will understand it as well... but, as a smart person, I'm finding it very difficult to find real stimulation from video games these days. I find chess boring, as it's really a matter of memorization, checkers too... I don't like games that have a lot of chance, like dice games, and such... Though I do play some card games, but even those get dumbed down.

It's just so disappointing that we can't get games with the beautiful graphics that we all dreamed of, and the mental stimulation we used to get. It's like, I either have to go back and play Zork with no graphics, or play point and click games with awesome graphics, but no thinking. I can either go back to X-Come Apocalypse which is actually difficult to get working correctly on modern machines, or Mission Force: Cyberstorm, where they're graphics make it difficult to see, and they're difficult to get working on modern machines, and Cyberstorm has very tiny maps probably due to memory issues of the day, or modern X-Com and modern Battletech, which dumbs everything down so much its not even fun.

=-=--=

Forcing people to stand in place, like the trigger pads with lightening might be a bit much for Warframe. You're a target that's standing still.. but, having to hack a door, shoot some mines (it'd be neat-er if the enemy laid the minds in front of you, with a mine deployer.. that you could even kill... so, it didn't look like the enemy was actually prepared for someone trying to take it) and having to hack the door, and maybe hack the electrical thingies that were mentioned, would be something in my book.

Sometimes you can't get a full squad, so being able to run the missions solo is unfortunately a must, IMO. But, having people coordinate and work together is a major draw for me in online gaming. It's something we've lost over the years.

World of Warcraft, Eve Online, they used to require massive amounts of socializing to get things done. Now, everything is streamlined and people are technically working together, and probably working together better than ever before in those games, but the socializing is virtually gone. It's sad.

Archived