Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(Intended?) Mirage's Prism re-adds its lighting bonus indefinitely on successive hits

MrFrog9

I'm a bit hesitant to report this, because it's actually not such a bad mechanic (to the point where I question if it's truly a bug and not just an undocumented change), but as I couldn't find any reference to this in official documentation -- neither in-game via tooltips, nor in patch notes -- I feel it is best for the sake of honesty and communication that a dialogue be opened with the devs regarding this "feature". (Please don't send me hate mail if this gets patched out.)

So, here is a clip of me dealing lethal damage to level 100 CHG's with what I thought was a poorly designed and generally worthless ability (234% ability strength).

https://i.imgur.com/bjNOLv3.mp4

Cool.

As we know and as is expected, Prism gains a damage modifier of up to +100% damage based on Mirage's current lighting level. Now, the part that surprised me and appears to be both relatively recent (discovered by the community back in October I believe, although there seems to be some confusion over whether it's caused by Sleight of Hand (it is not)) and as far as I can tell officially undocumented:

Each time Prism deals damage, its current damage bonus from lighting gets added to all subsequent damage ticks. This stacks indefinitely for as long as Prism is maintained, and as the above GIF shows, the damage can get quite significant.

Now, is this actually a bad thing? In my opinion, no.

While it can deal extreme damage if you feed it enough enemies, it is still hardly an overwhelming force -- it actually took several tries to get that impressive octuple kill, and it still took about 10 seconds for a full wipe. The lasers spread out very thinly past about 10 meters even with range mods, which limits the area the prism can hit effectively for the purposes of both dealing damage and amping itself up. Because of this, you have to keep the prism in an area where there is high enemy density, which is further complicated by its VERY long casting animation (on a frame that relies on evasion to avoid dying!) and the fact that it is constantly moving and bouncing off of stage geometry. The indefinite stacking per hit WOULD be a problem, except Prism already conveniently has a hard limit on how long it can stay out, and a steep energy surcharge to keep it out on top of that. Further, there is precedent within the game for abilities dealing indefinitely-stacking damage per hit -- see Protea's autoturret, which incidentally appears to be both much stronger, cheaper, and easier to use. While the prism is technically a completely passive, autonomous damage source, its limited effective radius along with the difficulty involved in effectively deploying it (aiming the prism even slightly inconsistently can greatly affect its trajectory as it bounces, often sending it up into the ceiling or out of the playing area entirely) limits its ability to take gameplay out of the players' hands.
I would like to make special mention of how well this behaviour dovetails with Mirage's volumetric lighting gimmick. The rate of the damage ramping scales directly off of how well-lit you are, and you must stay in the light consistently to keep the damage increasing steadily. While this is an easy enough feat if/when the prism gains enough strength to scrub the room, in the meantime, Mirage must still work to maximise the light she gathers while avoiding damage. The overall gameplay created where you stay in the light to charge your Prism up while continuing to unleash bullet hell on foes is very satisfying and fits her theming and existing abilities perfectly -- to the point where I legitimately cannot say for sure if this is a bug, because if it is then DE has managed to create better gameplay by pure accident than through many of their conscious design choices. If this is a bug, then the sheer serendipity of it is beautiful, and I would be heartbroken were it "fixed". I would not be surprised at all if this was a deliberate buff added in preparation for Mirage Prime's unvaulting that was simply not documented properly.

Either way, I would very much like some kind of communication with the devteam to confirm if this is intended behaviour and/or if we can expect it to be patched out. Thanks and much love.

E: Also it's obvious that I'm possibly just dumb and it was always how the ability worked, in which case I will delete this topic and proceed going about my life.

Archived