The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sandbox

I decided to raise this topic once in a while and open it for discussion.

My proposal to DE - allow us, players, have some kind of mission creator - an advanced version of dojo training route. 

Anyone who played this game more than a few hours can clearly see that levels are auto-generated from premade "bricks". The more you run fast missions the more you recognise them. If only we could use those "bricks" to combine them into our own missions, choose objectives and place enemies as we want to create a much better designed missions rather than ever-random ones we have. This can be a solo-player/creator thing or maybe attached to some dojo mechanic for collective creation. The main point of it is to invite/share these missions. Whatever DE is able and willing to do and how far they wish to go with it.

What is gives to DE:

1. Less worry about content - players will spend millions of hours willingly to create exciting missions for themselves. DE team can focus more on their ambitions, new things, main quests (which are really great!) as well as continue polishing the game (all those optimisation improvements, sound and visual works, fashion and much more - they are GOOD and always welcome) - concentrate on that and let us create fun content for ourselves.

2. A contest can start after a while. Winners can earn plat or something but the main point if their mission is added somewhere in the corner of Starchart. May be for a period of time or for as long as it is popular (I bet a credit to the creator of the mission be it a lone Tenno or a clan is a much more desireble reward than plat).

3. Imagine how many streams can appear "reviewing a new mission created by tenno X". Warframe can easily gain much more attention.

An example from myself of what kind of missions would I try to create at first and why:

- huge open areas, less enemies, much stronger and with big HP multiplier, placed far from each other to some fixed spots, have some movement patterns and scripted behaviour: if not killed fast with a headshot from far away - raises alert or performs some local action (calls for a friend or two and they all mount machine gun turrets closing one of the fast and ez routs for you or whatever punishing action). This mission would be oriented for the sniper rifles as the quickest way to play through. Ivara with navigator can be a fun option here. Whoever plays it and find a cheesy way to accomplish it will help to work on it and improve.

My second mission would be something for bows and stealth in general. Then some experiments with restrictions (like sortie has, i.e. throwing knives only, no nukes, etc). And I'd try to make some kind of tower defence if constructor would allow that.

6 minutes ago, Scar.brother.help.me said:

1. Less worry about content - players will spend millions of hours willingly to create exciting missions for themselves.

What about all the people that have no interest in this system (I get that is an issue with all content)? You are making it out to be more useful than it likely would be. A level creator is something fun to play around with, but what percentage of the player base do you think would actively engage with it for a large amount of time?

• I imagine we would encounter many issues with how tiles fit together. This would create extra work for DE as well. Maybe I want to make an open world level where Corpus and/or Grineer ships have crash landed - mixing various tilesets could cause issues. But what's the point if we cannot mix and match various faction tiles?
9 minutes ago, Scar.brother.help.me said:

3. Imagine how many streams can appear "reviewing a new mission created by tenno X". Warframe can easily gain much more attention.

Don't forget the "how I made my level" streams. It would be good for exposure.

I don't think we need this. But I would like to play around with it.

18 minutes ago, krc473 said:

What about all the people that have no interest in this system (I get that is an issue with all content)? You are making it out to be more useful than it likely would be. A level creator is something fun to play around with, but what percentage of the player base do you think would actively engage with it for a large amount of time?

• I imagine we would encounter many issues with how tiles fit together. This would create extra work for DE as well. Maybe I want to make an open world level where Corpus and/or Grineer ships have crash landed - mixing various tilesets could cause issues. But what's the point if we cannot mix and match various faction tiles?

This game is still beta, I would play around with whatever DE gives me to play. And if this system proves to be popular and good for the game - DE can add more instruments from time to time and watch players create more advanced stuff with it.

Start with some simple toolbox like "choose a tileset, stick these pieces together the way you like instead of our generator, place spawn points, choose an objective type, apply some of the rules/restrictions from the box" and slowly add more advanced and diverse stuff, expand the tool box with scripts for enemies, building/tuning specific enemies and so on.

Warframe could turn into something new while maintaining it's core features, main storyline and starchart. Have you ever played other game mods? Do you know that Dota was created as a custom map of Warcraft?

25 minutes ago, krc473 said:

Btw, have you seen what bored Tenno do with their orbiters or DoJo? Just a few fellas like this can create a lot of fun for all of us, trust me.

35 minutes ago, Scar.brother.help.me said:

This game is still beta

It’s not really. Only if you consider beta to mean “gets updates and changes to the game” - there is no beta tag on the game anymore.

26 minutes ago, Scar.brother.help.me said:

Btw, have you seen what bored Tenno do with their orbiters or DoJo? Just a few fellas like this can create a lot of fun for all of us, trust me.

I am sure there would be some good things. I am not against the idea, I just think it may be less beneficial than you seem to be suggesting. I could be wrong of course.

Archived