The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Flux Rifle Range

gvidzix

Well I like this weapon, as I like a lot others, and the only thing I don't really appreciate is that it is midrange, I think this should be updated, if it is a laser, it should count all the way across the visible range, or I am wrong about thinking like this?

I guess I understand that this is made on purpose, but it's a pain, i need to run towards enemy to get my flux stream start doing damage...

It's not a laser though, it doesn't do laser type damage and doesn't travel at the speed of light. In fact, it doesn't do anything that a laser does. It's not even called "laser", it's called flux. It's probably a plasma cannon of some kind, a plasma beam wound absolutely have a max range.

Edited by Mastikator2

Well I like this weapon, as I like a lot others, and the only thing I don't really appreciate is that it is midrange, I think this should be updated, if it is a laser, it should count all the way across the visible range, or I am wrong about thinking like this?

Realistic lasers have somewhat limited ranges as they aren't flashlights, they need to use a lens to concentrate light in a tiny spot so they can actually cut stuff. So their beam is technically a cone ending with a focus point. And this makes them more akin to cameras. Once they are out of focus, they are flashlights. Ever burned ants with sunlight and a lens? That's what a laser does, but with much more energy.

It's around 10-15 meters of range per 1 cm of diameter of the optic system (with green-blue light, as also light colour or wavelenght makes some of difference), give or take, and the flux rifle's does not seem to have more than 3 cm of optic system diameter.

Then there is also the fun of keeping the atmosphere from screwing up the beam, because air itself can make a lens if hotter than its surroundings. Look up the project of that laser on the aircraft, it has to use a complex active system to compensate in real-time for these disturbances.

There is also the detail that fog or smoke would make a laser weapon more or less useless, but that's not the case in-game.

So yeah, lasers in an atmosphere aren't so much different from Flux Rifle.

stream weps the reason volts fix is on hold

Don't see what you are saying here. Laser turrets in Void defence shoot already limitlessly long beams.

It's not a laser though, it doesn't do laser type damage and doesn't travel at the speed of light. In fact, it doesn't do anything that a laser does. It's not even called "laser", it's called flux. It's probably a plasma cannon of some kind, a plasma beam wound absolutely have a max range.

Because Dera or Supra (deal "laser" damage) are a laser. Yeah right. blobs of sub-sonic glowy stuff.

That's just how a guy that did only art classes call stuff. And the "less than light speed" is probably a game engine limitation or dev mistake.

Plasma is by definition a ionized GAS, and as all gaseous stuff it lacks the mass to give a kick on impact like a bullet AND the mass to store enough thermal energy to heat up the target. Neon signs have plasma inside when they are turned on.

Anything shooting "plasma" is basically a hot air/steam gun. And yes, making blobs with it and shooting the blobs at such slow speeds is equally nonsense.

• 3 weeks later...