Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Faces Of War

trazard

This is my first published written word on the internet, so would you show a little mercy?
Just this time.
Thanks.

Anyway, enjoy this arrangment of letters:

She took her helmet off, he did not. He almost never did.
When was the last time she saw his face? It must have been quite a while. After a short time of thinking she stopped, struggeling to find a clear memory.

She knew why he wasn't willing to take off the mask. Even if she was a lot younger than him. She saw her reflection in the pond and shivered.The small lake the two of them installed in their personal sanctuary always amazed her. The perfectly even surface seemed like from another world.A face stared back at her, but it was definitely not the face she was born with. The scar on her left cheek was alost healed, but instead of a left eye, she looked into an empty hole with a few shining wires placed in the back, functioning as a visual sensor. But what really worried her were the little spots of infected tissue on her forehead. It was not thefirst time they appeared, and they always disappeared after a whil, but the memory of her former comrade, taken over and later executed, still gave her the creeps.

"You shouldn't worry to much." His voice, calm as always, brought her back to reality.
"I don't, what made you think I.."
"I know you long enough, to recognise the look on your face"
Almost 3 earth rotations around the sun, to be exact, she thougt.
She always wondered why the time still got measured in time of a long lost place, ruined by it's inhabitants, fallen in the hands of a brutal regime.
"You are daydreaming again."
"I know, but do you remember the last time i didn't get my dose of daydreams?"
"Oh yes I do, you almost killed every last of us." was there a smile in his voice?
"While we are talking about stacked piles of bodies, may I remind you why we built this place?"

Two hours later, they layed in the artificial grass. Armor parts were scattered around the room, including his mask.
"Theese distractions are the only thing that keeps me from falling away from me.", she said.
"You are not the only one enjoying those little meetings" his face was flwles, timeless, with no sign that it has participated in countless battles.
"We have been together for this long time, why don't you tell me how old you are." She has always been curious.
"You know that I can't remember", he replied.
"I know that's a lie, there are fragments of past days, haunting you in your dreams. If even I can remember parts of my past, you must know a lot!"

He took his time to reply.
"I was made as part of series 3, in the second year of manufacturing"

A long silence filled the space between them.
"You fought in the old war." She stood up."I didn't know you were that old."

"The virus prevents aging, as you know."
"It's just..." she searched for words to describe her feelings, "You must be centuries old".

"If you travel alot across the universe you don't realise how fast time flows." He crouched to the waterside.
"And you get parts of your memories back, you realise how wrong every action you ever took was and how pointless every action you will ever take will be."

Silence fell again and while putting her suit she whispered:"How can you go on, with all this?"

"If everything I do is pointless, why can't I have a little fun?"