Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Shawzin Teleprompter Brainstorming for Live Playback on Xbox Consoles

(XBOX)cubeof11

What is the current state of Shawzin sheet music visualization or playback tools on any platform?  I'm in a good position to build a Shawzin teleprompter for Xbox consoles (and Windows 10 PCs, but that platform already has in-game native Shawzin song string functionality), and wanted to see what's already released to align with existing expectations.

The concept here is you'd provide the Shawzin song string through the Xbox guide, and a sequence of platform notifications would appear over time with the rhythm and controller buttons to press, and you'd use that as sheet music guidance to play the song in real-time.

I currently have released functionality to convert a Shawzin song string to either a MIDI file or rudimentary audio synthesis for direct playback, and scheduling notifications with playback instructions is a small step away.  This would help fill the gap in missing Shawzin functionality on Xbox consoles, where the "Load Song to Memory" option is not available — I don't think it's a technical limitation, since bringing up the system virtual keyboard with the Shawzin song string prepopulated would let us use the clipboard via USB keyboard shortcuts to import and export songs.  I am publishing this to the PC and Xbox platforms via the Microsoft Store, so I only have one source of certification requirements to follow.

Platform notifications on Xbox consoles allow for two lines of text, so I might be able to fit one measure per line and maybe cycle between lines like how karaoke lyrics are displayed.

Other related topics:

• Live playback allows for the whammy bar and scale changes, which aren't covered by the Shawzin song memory.  Is there any existing innovation in this area?
  • How closely have Shawzin chords been studied?  Most information I've seen is focused on single notes, not chords, and I'd like to compare how accurate is my understanding / implementation of them.
  • How do existing teleprompters for musicians behave?  I'm not too familiar with this subject area, so I'm trying to identify what industry expectations there are.
  • Are there any other communities I should contact for more specific brainstorming?

Update (20 June 2022):  Due to low interest, I've soft launched this teleprompter functionality today and will be iterating on the experience privately.  Please contact me if you'd like to reopen the conversation.

Update (5 September 2022):  This teleprompter functionality is featured for use in playing Home on the Range.

Archived