Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lich damage attenuation is still way too harsh against high dps

Numerounius

I recently created another lich and decided to go into the final showdown against it using a very specialized Saryn build that is able to one-shot demolysts by stacking a bunch of damage using a stropha instead of my usual sonar banshee build. I was not thinking about the damage attenuation formula and how it remained unchanged since its introduction at least 6 months ago despite the almost universal feedback regarding it harshness it has with its top tier damage system.

I sadly got the expected damage number of 300 since I was put into the highest tier of damage attenuation which comes with such a harsh penalty compared to each of the previous tiers. I think it is time to revise this damage attenuation formula to not be so punishing against stacking damage sources to deal more damage.

I don't mind having a damage reduction being applied to make it more fair across the board. But stacking damage to the point where it is being artificially rolled over to deal even less damage than a weapons base damage output should never happen. 

5 hours ago, BatVenomPL said:

It's like this specifically to avoid one-shotting Adversaries, especially since you can bring a Voidrig to the final showdown

Yes I know the reason why it exists to prevent sub 10 second lich showdowns but the way it does it is BS and kills many of the possible strategies that you can use to take into the lich final showdown only because it seems like DE tested it out for one scenario instead of the many other possible methods that are to deal damage. It wasn't until players got their hands on the system that people realized just how harsh the top tiering of damage attenuation is so instead of me having a 10 second lich showdown I now get to have a 10 hour lich showdown if all of my damage numbers are going to be artificially set to 300 instead of their rightful value.

13 hours ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

What weapon? Did you switch it up and melee at all? Use a secondary? 

I used the stropha, and yes while I could have switched up the weapon I think forcing my weapon to deal even less damage than one that has no mods or external buffs is not right regardless of the weapon I used. I also said that I wanted to test out the lich showdown specifically with a build that I knew was already capable of dealing huge amounts of damage to enemies that already have a normal form of damage reduction so in theory it should also work against liches really well and went in expecting high damage numbers until I once forgot about just how bad the damage attenuation formula is. 

41 minutes ago, XHADgaming said:

Yes I know the reason why it exists to prevent sub 10 second lich showdowns but the way it does it is BS and kills many of the possible strategies that you can use to take into the lich final showdown only because it seems like DE tested it out for one scenario instead of the many other possible methods that are to deal damage. It wasn't until players got their hands on the system that people realized just how harsh the top tiering of damage attenuation is so instead of me having a 10 second lich showdown I now get to have a 10 hour lich showdown if all of my damage numbers are going to be artificially set to 300 instead of their rightful value.

I used the stropha, and yes while I could have switched up the weapon I think forcing my weapon to deal even less damage than one that has no mods or external buffs is not right regardless of the weapon I used. I also said that I wanted to test out the lich showdown specifically with a build that I knew was already capable of dealing huge amounts of damage to enemies that already have a normal form of damage reduction so in theory it should also work against liches really well and went in expecting high damage numbers until I once forgot about just how bad the damage attenuation formula is. 

I'd try frame debuffs and buffs as well. Like Nezhas chakram or banshee.

1 hour ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

I'd try frame debuffs and buffs as well. Like Nezhas chakram or banshee.

I said I normally use Banshee sonar and nyx psychic bolts to deal with liches so I know debuffs work. But I am talking about dealing too much damage that the game punishes you for it.

18 hours ago, XHADgaming said:

I recently created another lich and decided to go into the final showdown against it using a very specialized Saryn build that is able to one-shot demolysts by stacking a bunch of damage using a stropha instead of my usual sonar banshee build. I was not thinking about the damage attenuation formula and how it remained unchanged since its introduction at least 6 months ago despite the almost universal feedback regarding it harshness it has with its top tier damage system.

I sadly got the expected damage number of 300 since I was put into the highest tier of damage attenuation which comes with such a harsh penalty compared to each of the previous tiers. I think it is time to revise this damage attenuation formula to not be so punishing against stacking damage sources to deal more damage.

I don't mind having a damage reduction being applied to make it more fair across the board. But stacking damage to the point where it is being artificially rolled over to deal even less damage than a weapons base damage output should never happen. 

Damage attenuation as used to combat power creep never had any hopes to be a long term solution. I would hope DE realizes it, but honestly they are probably going to double down as they continue down the power creep spiral evermore and we will probably get more stringent damage attenuation in the future, thanks to the latest bout of damage power creep via arcanes and weapons. One of the ironic things is, this stop gap doesn't even work, as players get around it anyway.

It is time for DE to retire the concept to be used to combat power creep, address the power creep properly and move on without thinking they need to slap "+360% whatever" on new gear to make it attractive. Tone it down, balance our damage output accordingly, balance enemies accordingly, give players within different tiers of progression content to give value to the power they've unlocked instead of capping it at the knees when it is supposed to matter, balance the rewards within the tiers accordingly and see the game and community be healthier.

Sure, there will be players who are upset if the proper rebalances are done, but damage attenuation as used in large part doesn't work anyway, upsets players anyway with a bonus addition of confusing and frustrating players as well.

On 2022-07-03 at 11:42 PM, XHADgaming said:

You assume the Intention was to make all Weapons Equal....

This Assumption is False....

It's pretty obvious DE is trying to Discourage you using Specific Weapons....

It's not the First Time and it Won't Be The Last....

7 hours ago, Lutesque said:

You assume the Intention was to make all Weapons Equal....

This Assumption is False....

It's pretty obvious DE is trying to Discourage you using Specific Weapons....

It's not the First Time and it Won't Be The Last....

I am not talking about the weapon I am using. I already said I don't care about which loadout I am using. 

Yes I know the original intent of the mechanic was because of a certain weapon. But a bunch of other weapons and mechanics shouldn't be punished as a result of it.

I am talking about stacking damage and the damage attenuation punishing me for my playstyle since DE did not account for a variety of playstyles.

Archived