Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Powers And Mechanics Post U14

PsycloneM

Nyx

Psychic Bolts deal 200 RzQowR3.png slash damage per bolt. The mechanics seem to be untouched. When launched, targeted enemies are highlighted. The bolts disperse, and then converge on their targets. Bolts are lost should they impact the environment, making this power much more reliable when launched slightly upwards in open maps. The damage can inflict slash procs, and is affected by special body part multipliers.

Absorb still deals a minimum 1500 VKBkKaB.png magnetic damage. Only the minimum damage threshold is affected by power strength. To make things clear, Absorb will only inflict the previously described minimum damage should the total amount of absorbed damage be less than or equal to 1500. Otherwise, the total amount of absorbed damage (as indicated by the damage counter) is inflicted as VKBkKaB.png magnetic damage. Hitscan bullets, projectiles, melee attacks, self-damage caused by detonating Castanas, Stug, or Penta while in the absorbed state, and ally damage are absorbed. The explosion knocks down all enemies in range, and ignores cover. The damage decreases with distance, and can receive special body part multipliers.

Edited by PsycloneM

One thing of note from playing a survival mission with Rhino the other day. Iron Skin will no longer remain active once the time hits zero and the shield drain begins. It stays up for maybe a second or two then gets stripped off. No more Unlimited survival at 5 health.

No worries, disregarding the mechanics behind Banshee's Sound Quake, there's just an awesome factor in knowing you literally blow people's heads off with what could essentially be music if given the right sound effects. Which is why the information made me smile... and wish there was a sound pack for Banshee's abilities to switch them to something like dubstep or some kind of metal.

Oh, I definitely get that. There's something extremely satisfying about seeing butchers, scorpions, or prod crewmen rushing you, only to have their heads destroyed by a bass cannon. Regarding the mechanics, the damage definitely seems to depend on their distance from you (similar to how Rhino Stomp can deal an extra instance of damage to nearby enemies). 

PsycloneM is credit to community.

Seriously though, this is really useful to me to wrap my head around the new damage changes and how they effect each frame. Thanks a tonne.

You're very welcome. That is precisely what my aim was when I made this thread, and I'm glad you guys are finding this useful. 

One thing of note from playing a survival mission with Rhino the other day. Iron Skin will no longer remain active once the time hits zero and the shield drain begins. It stays up for maybe a second or two then gets stripped off. No more Unlimited survival at 5 health.

Interesting. Thanks, I'll add that to the post.

Ember's Fireball speed was buffed to decent levels. Rest of her kit is unchanged. Her overheat might have been nerfed again though... it seems to take longer for the damage to tick. Scott claims he "didn't have enough time" on Twitter to ACTUALLY fix her.

Overall she was nerfed again. None of her abilities CC enemies (tested on infested) so she's pretty much guaranteed to get overrun if she can't kill them fast enough. Was almost dying and getting overrun against level 25-30 infested with a 4 star Ember built for pure damage and energy capacity.

Boy do I feel bad for people that bought Prime Access for the "new and improved Ember" that Scott said we were getting...

Can you confirm how many targets WoF is hitting now? A lot are saying she just hits one at a time now.

Saryn

Venom inflicts 10 l6JFiZQ.pngviral damage per spore over time. 6 spores are transmitted to the initial target. When a spore is popped, the target will take 25 l6JFiZQ.pngviral damage and spread Venom to nearby enemies (four spores are transmitted per enemy). With U12, Venom now has an improved status chance. Each tick of damage has a good chance to reduce an enemy's health by a non-stacking 50% while Venom is active.

With U11.5, Molt now has 500 health at max rank that can be increased with power strength. With U12, Molt will now inflict 200 w00tvbu.pngtoxin damage when destroyed or recast in an AoE with a 100% status chance. This initial damage decreases with distance, and is affected by special body part multipliers.

Similar to a heat proc, toxin DoTs inflict 50% of the source damage every tick for non-head shots. Toxin DoTs last 8 seconds for a total of 9 ticks. The maximum amount of base damage that Molt can inflict is equal to 200 + 100 x 9 = 1100 damage over 8 seconds. For head shots, the maximum amount of base damage is equal to 400 + 400 x 9 = 4000 damage over 8 seconds.

If Molt happens to survive its full duration, two instances of damage will be dealt, effectively doubling the maximum values previously listed. I should also mention that not every unit will be damaged by Molt, even if they are well within range. Also, Molt's energy cost has been increased from 25 to 50.

Contagion provides an additional 75% w00tvbu.png toxin damage to your melee weapon. Elemental mods on your weapon will interact with Contagion. Its toxin damage has the lowest priority and will combine with any uncombined elements. For instance, if I have Molten Impact and nothing else, my weapon will inflict extra gas damage. If I have Molten Impact and Shocking Touch (and/or Focus Energy), my weapon will deal extra radiation damage and toxin damage. If I add North Wind to the mix on a lower-priority mod slot, my weapon will deal extra radiation damage and viral damage. 

The wiki provides an equation that can be used to calculate how much additional damage you'd gain with increasing power strength. With the 30% boost from Focus, you'd have this:

( 1 + 0.75 ) x 1.3 - 1 = 1.275

So Focus would grant you an additional 127.5% damage. Well, this is not what I'm observing after the update.

An unmodded hate deals 7.5 impact and puncture damage, and 35 slash damage. A charged attack deals 4x normal damage. Against a crewman with its shields depleted, a charged attack deals 270 damage (slash damage deals 1.5x damage to flesh):

[ 7.5 + 7.5 + ( 35 x 1.5 ) ] x 4 = 270

Applying Contagion, a charged melee attack now deals 562 damage. If Contagion provided a 127.5% bonus, the calculation would be as follows (toxin damage deals 1.5x damage to flesh, and the 200 is hate's base charge damage):

270 + 200 x 1.275 x 1.5 = 652

As you can see, this is too high. What if power strength is multiplied directly to the damage bonus?

270 + 200 x ( 0.75 x 1.3 ) x 1.5 = 562

So instead of providing a 127.5% damage bonus, Focus would increase the damage bonus from 75% to 97.5%.

Miasma deals 375 CT0l53K.pngcorrosive damage per second (5 ticks over 4 seconds). Due to the way the damage ticks are calculated, increasing the duration of Miasma will cause you to deal less damage (DPS and total) than if no duration mods were equipped. Miasma really has 1500 base damage that is divided by the current duration to calculate the damage tick. This value is rounded down, then multiplied by ( 1 + current duration ) to calculate the total damage. With Continuity and Constitution:

1500 / 6.32 = 237 damage per second.

237 x ( 1 + 6.32 ) = 1735 total damage.

Compare that to Miasma with no power duration mods:

1500 / 4 = 375 damage per second.

375 x ( 1 + 4 ) = 1875 total damage.

Edited by PsycloneM

Ouch. Saryn has taken so much nerf. This update cripple her even further.
Her toxin damage used to deal bonus damage to MOA. Now She's not competitive in corpus map, infested map, and even high-leveled grineer map.

It hurts so much...

But thanks for your contribution anyway! Now how can we determine Link's damage type, I wonder??

Sound Quake deals 200 blast damage per second (1.25x damage to armor, flesh, and Infested, 0.75x damage to shields). It's still affected by power strength, reduced by armor, and now has a small chance to cause additional stuns due to its damage type. What I find interesting is that the moment Banshee slams her hands on the ground, nearby enemies will receive varying damage at that instant followed by the DoT. What's also interesting is that this initial damage is capable of landing headshots. With Focus equipped, I've seen the initial damage as high as ~500 and as low as ~30. I still need to figure out what's going on here.

I've noticed a similar occurrence with Rhino stomp. A random anywhere between 30 and as high as 200(But may be higher) random damage will be applied before a second number pops up that is the damage stomp should deal. 

The Ult that isn't - Frosty -

Just finished a defense run on Ceres - myself and a frosty prime with a group -

Both my frost (with max focus) and the Frost prime were recording a total of 1 (one damage) - total for avalanche vs Grineer.

The tables suggest that armor generates a 50% reduction in cold damage.  That would mean our damage (not reduced) with max focus for our ulti would be 2.

Not 200, not even 20 - but 2.

There is precious little excuse for nerfing an already low ult by that much.

Frosty never was a damage generator - but now he is truly relegated to the Happy Dying Melting Snowman pile.

Sad oversight - hope it gets fixed.

(and yes I know he is still viable against one faction - Corpus.  But merely being viable against one faction does not excuse making a frame an invalid against another)

Both my frost (with max focus) and the Frost prime were recording a total of 1 (one damage) - total for avalanche vs Grineer.

The tables suggest that armor generates a 50% reduction in cold damage.  That would mean our damage (not reduced) with max focus for our ulti would be 2.

Frosty never was a damage generator - but now he is truly relegated to the Happy Dying Melting Snowman pile.

(and yes I know he is still viable against one faction - Corpus.  But merely being viable against one faction does not excuse making a frame an invalid against another)

High end scaling seems to be way out of order atm. Anything at least as low as level 50 just seems to take next to nothing from everything you can throw at it from what I've gathered. 

Can you confirm how many targets WoF is hitting now? A lot are saying she just hits one at a time now.

I've updated my post on Ember.

Ouch. Saryn has taken so much nerf. This update cripple her even further.
Her toxin damage used to deal bonus damage to MOA. Now She's not competitive in corpus map, infested map, and even high-leveled grineer map.

It hurts so much...

But thanks for your contribution anyway! Now how can we determine Link's damage type, I wonder??

Unfortunately as a side effect of Damage 2.0, Saryn and Frost have taken some noticeable damage reductions. Trinity's up next. I'll keep you all updated later this evening.

I've noticed a similar occurrence with Rhino stomp. A random anywhere between 30 and as high as 200(But may be higher) random damage will be applied before a second number pops up that is the damage stomp should deal. 

Yeah, it's essentially an extra instance of damage that is dealt within very close range. I've observed this with Banshee, Ember, and Rhino so far. I've made some updates here in response to the latest hotfix and further testing.

I was afraid of this.

Check out my post on Frost regarding cold damage's interaction with armor. It's not the case that cold damage is halved and then reduced by armor. Cold damage itself causes the target's damage reduction to improve by a factor of 1.5:

( cold damage ) x [ 1 - ( damage reduction ) x 1.5 ] = final damage

So let's say you have Focus and Squall, and you use Avalanche on some heavy Grineer with 575 armor (65.7% damage reduction):

1450 x [ 1 - ( 0.657 ) x 1.5 ] = 20

You can already see the problem here. A target with 600 armor or higher will effectively take zero damage. I propose the following: reduce the modifier due to armor on the table from -50% to -25% and add +25% damage to flesh (frostbite). So for a heavy Grineer with 575 armor, Avalanche would deal the following damage:

1450 x 1.25 x [ 1 - ( 0.657 ) x 1.25 ] = 323

A long-term solution for end-game content would be to change the way modifiers due to armor affect an enemy's resistance. Instead of affecting the enemy's damage reduction directly, have the modifier affect the enemy's armor instead. This would affect every damage type that has an armor modifier. So for our heavy Grineer, his armor will be equal to 575 x 1.5 = 862 (74.2 damage reduction):

1450 x [ 1 - 0.742 ] = 374

The downside of this method is that damage types which benefit from armor modifiers will deal less damage compared to the way their damage is calculated now.

Edited by PsycloneM

Trinity

Now that we know the precise relationship between enemy level, health, and base values, it's possible to test Energy Vampire to determine the percentage of health removed from each tick of damage. To test this, I would cast Well of Life on a target to increase its health by a factor of ten. The reason for this is to get an extra digit on the damage value (which is now 10 times greater than normal), which helps improve the accuracy of each measurement (since damage values are always rounded down). 

Based on these measurements, 6.25% of the target's remaining hitpoints is inflicted every pulse as RzQowR3.png slash damage. A target's shields also contribute to this percentage. More details on this can be found here.

Link seems to function as it did before the update. The 75% damage reduction is intact, and you're still immune to knockdown and stagger. 100% damage taken seems to be reflected (this reflected damage is the actual damage linked targets would receive if they were directly hit by the source). Critical damage, as well as elemental statuses/debuffs are also transferred.

Well of Life and Blessing also seem unmodified.

Edited by PsycloneM

Valkyr

Well, I realized at the last moment that the http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Valkyr_(Warframe)'>wiki had already covered Valkyr. Nevertheless, I'll go over any extra bits of information regarding damage types and mechanics to prove that the wiki is accurate.

Rip Line deals 600 RzQowR3.png slash damage to a single target. If you aim for the enemy's head, you'll be able to inflict 2x damage.

Paralysis deals 3.5 x 50% of your current shield capacity as ujb2gKH.png impact damage in an AoE. The damage multiplier is affected by power strength. It's capable of dealing headshots, and its damage decreases with distance. With U11.5, Paralysis now requires 1/3 of your current shields to cast. This means you can repeatedly cast Paralysis as the shield reduction is multiplicative; however, the damage dealt will decrease with every cast. Stunned enemies are susceptible to 4x melee damage (including Hysteria) and stealth attacks.

Similar to Excalibur's Radial Javelin, Hysteria causes Valkyr's strikes to deal 300 base damage that is equally divided into ujb2gKH.png impact damager2Ff7vo.png puncture damage, and RzQowR3.png slash damage. With U12, Hysteria is now affected by your melee weapon's stats. It appears as though physical/elemental damage type mods, Finishing Touch, and Smite mods have no effect on Hysteria's damage. The same is true for charge damage mods. Here's a run-through on how Hysteria's damage seems to be calculated:

Your melee weapon's base damage from normal attacks seems to be multiplied by 1.75, which is then added to Hysteria's base 300.

No melee mods equipped:

300 + 1.75 x base weapon damage = total damage

With Pressure Point and/or Spoiled Strike equipped, your weapon's normal attack damage is increased. 

Additional melee damage (+M%):

300 + 1.75 x base weapon damage x ( 1 + M / 100 ) = total damage

With additional power strength, simply multiply your base weapon damage by ( 1 + power strength % increase ):

Additional power damage (+P%):

300 + 1.75 x ( 1 + P / 100 ) x base weapon damage x ( 1 + M / 100 ) = total damage

Finally, Steel Charge only affects the base weapon damage in the calculation. It does not apply to the extra damage gained from melee mods:

Steel Charge (+S%):

300 + 1.75 x ( 1 + P / 100 ) x base weapon damage x [ ( 1 + S / 100 ) + M / 100 ] = total damage

The total damage is also equally divided among the three IPS components. To reinforce this estimated equation, here are some damage values I've observed against chargers compared to expected values. There appears to be internal rounding which I have taken into consideration:

Expected:

Aiedsam.jpg

Observed:

aBcDqY7.jpg

Critical damage mods appear to behave as you would expect. With 5.7x critical damage, I'm observing Hysteria's attacks being multiplied by a similar factor. Hysteria's critical chance seems to be determined by adding your weapon's crit chance (affected by True Steel) to a base 30%. I should also note that all of Hysteria's attacks are affected by weapon stats as previously described. The base damage of these attacks have also been increased to 300. Here are some more damage calculations with different weapons.

Valkyr is immune not only to damage when Hysteria is active, but to knockdown and stagger. Regarding the returned damage: if anyone is left alive in your AoE when Hysteria expires, all blocked damage will be dealt to you. However, that damage is highly mitigated and can be avoided if you can prevent enemies from stepping into your AoE before Hysteria ends (just make sure everyone is dead, or just back away a few seconds before the end of the duration).

With U11.5, Hysteria's energy claws have a 5% lifesteal applied on every attack at max rank. This lifesteal is applied to the final damage (as indicated by the displayed damage value) of each attack.

You're doing an amazing job here, thank you :)

You're very welcome. Just a few more to go.

Edited by PsycloneM

Vauban

Tesla deals 150 QvN7QQa.pngelectricity damage per charge, affected by power strength. Just like the other elemental frames' damaging powers, Tesla no longer guarantees a stun. Each shock has a small chance of stunning, as indicated by the lightning symbol next to the damage number. The wiki claims that a grenade will expire either after 40 seconds, or after it runs out of charges. The former is not entirely accurate. Yes, a grenade that is dormant and deals no damage to anyone will disappear after 40 seconds. However, what seems to be happening is that each time a grenade uses a charge, roughly 3 seconds are added to its lifetime. It's possible to have grenades last over a minute as long as they are active, and have not used all of their charges. With Continuity and Constitution (15 charges per grenade), I've had grenades last as long as ~80 seconds.

Bounce has a 100% chance to proc a magnetic debuff when an enemy steps over it.

Bastille seems the same, nothing new to report. Vortex now deals on average 13 VKBkKaB.png magnetic damage per tick. Damage ticks occur roughly every 0.25 - 0.30 seconds, and the amount of damage per tick depends on how close the enemy is to the singularity. When Vortex is first activated, enemies in the AoE appear to take 2x damage for the first tick only. This multiplier is affected by power strength. Each tick has a moderate status chance, capable of reducing the shields of affected enemies for Vortex's duration. It is also possible for an enemy to be consumed (regardless of current health) if they stay inside the singularity for too long.

On a final note, all of Vauban's grenades deal 15 y968wVt.png blast damage when tossed onto an enemy. As such, there's a small chance to knock down the target due to the status proc. More information on this can be found here.

Edited by PsycloneM

Volt

Shock still deals 200 QvN7QQa.png electricity damage, affected by power strength. This 200 damage will always proc a stun to whoever it chains to (the damage number will have a lightning symbol by its side). Now, what seems to happen is that any enemy who receives damage from Shock will also take an additional 100 electricity damage, affected by power strength. It also seems that this secondary damage spreads from each shocked target. With that said, Shock's ability to chain has greatly improved, and is much more reliable.

The old 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 target limit that was stated in the wiki actually referred to the maximum number of chains at each rank. So with 5 chains at max rank, Shock's primary arc can damage 6 enemies if the first enemy is centered on the reticle. Realize that this target limit is only referring to the number of enemies that can be damaged by the arc; many more enemies can be damaged by electricity procs should they be close enough to each target. More information on this can be found here.

While you will reduce the number of targets by one if you don't initially aim at an enemy, you can extend the range of the power by aiming at surfaces. For instance, if a group of enemies are hiding in cover (making direct aiming difficult), you can simply aim Shock at a wall or ceiling next to them. The arc will be redirected to enemies nearby.

Electric Shield still adds 50% QvN7QQa.png electricity damage to shots fired through the shield. The additional 50% damage is based of your weapon's base damage, similar to elemental damage mods. Unlike Saryn's Contagion, this extra damage does not interact with equipped elemental damage mods. A 200% critical damage multiplier is also applied to shots fired through the shield.

It should be noted that these damage bonuses do not apply to all weapons. Hitscan weapons, energy projectile weapons (such as the Tetra or Cestra), continuous-fire weapons (such as the Synapse and Flux Rifle), and the Drakgoon all seem to work with Electric Shield. Punch through also appears to increase the number of shots, drastically for energy projectile weapons and Drakgoon, for most of these weapons (I cannot observe a noticeable difference with continuous-fire weapons at the moment). Other projectile weapons, including launchers, bows, thrown weapons, bolt-firing weapons, and possibly others do not work with Electric Shield. More information on this can be found here.

Overload deals 225 QvN7QQa.png electricity damage per pulse, affected by power strength. An enemy hit by a pulse will take an additional 112.5 electricity damage, also affected by power strength. You are no longer suspended in the air for the power's entire duration. Four pulses are emitted during this time, dealing a total of 1350 electricity damage including secondaries. However, the first pulse has some interesting properties. For one, it has an additional damage component that falls off with distance. Therefore, enemies within the first pulse's AoE will take 3 instances of damage: the 225 damage pulse, the 112.5 damage secondary, and the additional component. The maximum damage of this component appears to be 225 electricity damage, affected by power strength. However, I have observed this damage being 3 times higher against a toxic ancient. There is also a short delay after the first pulse; during this time, any electronic devices in the area will discharge. After the devices have depleted their charges, the final three pulses are emitted.

Now, what has always baffled me about Overload is exactly how nearby electronics affect its damage output. What I'm seeing is that when an electronic device is destroyed by Overload, it will damage an enemy for an additional 250 QvN7QQa.png electricity damage per shock (unaffected by power strength). Each shock also spreads an additional 125 electricity damage, also unaffected by power strength. Think of an electronic device as a massive Tesla grenade that has virtually no attack cooldown, has shocks that spread secondary damage to nearby enemies, and extends the duration of Overload until all charges have been exhausted. As you would expect, when an electronic device is destroyed, it can no longer provide additional damage to subsequent Overloads.

Edited by PsycloneM

Amazing work PsycloneM, I've personally been doing a lot of investigating into weapons and so it hadn't occured to me yet how D2.0 would have affected powers.  I assumed most of them to work more or less the same, but that isn't necessarily the case.  This is not only great work it is detailed and methodical work.  Hopefully someone with more time than me passes this on to the wiki, as well as a Mod pins this thread.

Edited by KARMA2605

Amazing work PsycloneM, I've personally been doing a lot of investigating into weapons and so it hadn't occured to me yet how D2.0 would have affected powers.  I assumed most of them to work more or less the same, but that isn't necessarily the case.  This is not only great work it is detailed and methodical work.  Hopefully someone with more time than me passes this on to the wiki, as well as a Mod pins this thread.

I really appreciate that. Thank you. 

The Valkyr summary is almost ready. Just in time, too. Thanksgiving break is essentially over, and in these upcoming weeks I definitely won't have the time to test powers the way I have been these last few evenings. I'm glad people have found this thread helpful. You guys are more than welcome to keep sharing information here. As long as this game is being updated, I'll try to find the time to update this thread when changes are made.

First of all, awesome work PsycloneM. By playing too much Trinity, I forgot there are pure elemental abilities which can help with new damage calculations reverse engineering.

Now, I did some tests with Snipertron Vandal and it looks like puncture gets no benefit against armor other than reducing reductions. I hoped that when I calculate expected damage by calculating each part separately and then add it up, there will be some gap between my numbers and those observed. But there is nothing. Impact + Puncture with reduced reduction + Slash times flesh bonus equals exactly damage pop ups seen ingame. Probably rounding error against butcher (127 calc, 126 seen) but against trooper and lancer where there should be something evident (SV is 6.3, 112.5, 6.3 so almost pure puncture against 100-150 armor) but it's equal. Maybe this much armor is too little but I don't know scaling equations (or how much they changed) so can't test it.

Edited by Andoryuu