The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Vortex Fps Since U11

LazerusKI

Just had some fun with him at Io, there i noticed some small problems with Vortex.

All the ragdolling enemies are very stressfull for the game, my system is not that bad (GTX560Ti, i5 2500k OC @4Ghz)

At wave 15 I threw Vortex near the Pod, and the FPS dropped to like 1 per second, not only for me, for the whole team.

So i tried to lower the Graphics a bit, everything on low, and even there - massive problems.

So i think its not a problem with my system, instead it has something to do with Vortex and massive amounts of enemies.

In my case it's worse, not even the Solar Map is stable, nor the arsenal. Never had an issue before.

Seeing all the reports, though, makes me think it's a bit of a programming mess up.

Which I hope, the game ran quite well for me before. (Well, it ran bad, but tolerably bad. Now it's just bad. In caps.).

Bumping this--vortex was not an issue to framerate before update 11. Now it destroys everyone's framerate upon usage (at least on a cluster of enemies, to which it will continue to drop framerate significantly until the vortex ends, no matter whether you are looking at it or not, near it, or if it is even vortexing enemies afterwards), regardless of how powerful their rigs are.

Maybe a physics overload due to the loot inside? Needs a fix, though--I can't use vortex without making myself and my teammates unable to play.

we just made some tests.

Xini, wave 10-15

Vortex without killing them -> Framedrops

after reading about the multicore stuff, i have disabled it, a fried left it enabled.

Again, Xini 10->15, no framedrops for me, for him it was still there

i dont know exactly if it was the problem, i will see it after i few more runs

Edited by LazerusKI

Hello. I was playing with a person who used Vortex on Xini, wave 10-15 as well. My FPS slowed down considerably, almost to the point of being unplayable. It has to be a game issue as my pc should be more than sufficient. Hopefully this feedback will help this issue be resolved.

PC Specs:

i7 3930k@3.5Ghz

32 GB Ram

GTX 680 Oc'ed

Samsung 840 Pro SSD

Besides from all the issues (see my thread about this bug) DE still needs to fix vortex in a proper way.

If the hosts connection is bad, you will simply be stuck in vortex. 

and yeah , I've got a pretty nice laptop (desktop replacer) and yet im getting 10.00 fps when 50 enemies + fly into 4-6 + vortexes at once (normally my fps is around 140-180)

Laptop Specs:

i7 4900 MQ @ 4.1 ghz

32 Gb RAM

Gtx 780m @ 950 mhz

256gb SSD + 750gb HDD

I know this issue is caused by physics calculations. DE , was it really that smart to apply physics to all the monsters that are being sucked into a vortex? Seeing physics is usually CPU based (in this case it is) , shouldnt this give absolute horror fps on the playstation 4?....

Try to draw the geometry physics on the GPU instead of the CPU ( It should be possible )

Edited by KleenexTissues

Same issue here, pretty sure physics calculations. Having same issue with other situations as well.  I put PhysX on my GTX 660 Ti to help with this. Still sucks though.

i7-2620M

16GB @ 1333

GTX 660 Ti

Can kinda confirm this my continuously jump / ground attack (which puts out particles):

http://i.imgur.com/d8zHBik.png

I did this over and over and I got that nice sine wave of a graph..

DX11 and Multicore rendering on.

Edited by angerthosenear

• 2 weeks later...

After doing some testing in warframe , my predictions on what the problem was turned out to be true.

The way to fix this is to enable nvidia PhysX , somehow this takes the physics calculations of objects/monsters from the CPU and renders it on the GPU instead (which is alot faster, seeing processors do not really like physics). Guess there was more to PhysX than just realistic sparkle effects.

I dont know why DE changed this but oh well (there are many ways to create a fake vortex effect without having much impact on the CPU)

In case you have an AMD graphics card, there is nothing that I am aware of that will fix the issue. turning down graphics settings wont help either seeing this is all caused by the CPU being unable to render so many physics calculations at once (at a decent speed that is).

Please note that by enabling nvidia PhysX you will get about 10-25 fps less than normal depending on the situation, but you will never get that horrible framedrop again if youre playing a vauban.

After doing some testing in warframe , my predictions on what the problem was turned out to be true.

The way to fix this is to enable nvidia PhysX , somehow this takes the physics calculations of objects/monsters from the CPU and renders it on the GPU instead (which is alot faster, seeing processors do not really like physics). Guess there was more to PhysX than just realistic sparkle effects.

I dont know why DE changed this but oh well (there are many ways to create a fake vortex effect without having much impact on the CPU)

In case you have an AMD graphics card, there is nothing that I am aware of that will fix the issue. turning down graphics settings wont help either seeing this is all caused by the CPU being unable to render so many physics calculations at once (at a decent speed that is).

Please note that by enabling nvidia PhysX you will get about 10-25 fps less than normal depending on the situation, but you will never get that horrible framedrop again if youre playing a vauban.

nope.

i have PhysX enabled all the time, tested it with and without it.

had the same problems with both configurations, even with very-low graphic settings.

GTX560Ti - was good enough for warframe before the patch

This. I use the same unit and I had no issues until recently.

Vortex and the result ragdolling collisions are robbing everyone of performance. It makes playing Vauban on defense missions a crash happy endeavour.

Edited by DBugII

IDK why you people keep suggesting "PHYSX" as a fix to stuff, it cant be a FIX if people are using AMD gpu's because they cant use physx at all lol and anyone using a nvidia card before the GTX series can not use physx either without imposing a 3rd party program to force it onto the card which would slow it down. There just flat out needs to be better optimization for the skill/game. i suggest game because i have a really really powerful rig and at times this game still runs unbearably bad.

I7 4770k oc'ed to 4ghz

tri-sli'ed gtx 770s 2 in sli mode one as a dedicated PHYSX card which doesnt solve the problem anyways

Corsair XMS3 16gig ram 4x4gb

its not only the vortex fps

as mentioned in here

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/152068-the-game-runs-very-unstable-lately/

there is a huge amount of performance problems lately...

tried to run Cicero 100% yesterday - i could host Defense rounds for like 1.5h, - but Cicero? everyone had a ping of like 700...

After that we wanted to run T3 Void Defense, last 5 waves? no more damage. Even Corpus could stand in the laser without getting the shield down, i dont need to mention the Grineer. last 2 waves - unbearable lag, we had a new host with a better connection this time...teleporting enemies, 1s delay between shot and projectile...and then...crash