Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Helping Corner For New Players

drMightyPotato

Question

To all the new players that came with armor 2.0 Warframe update, welcome.
I hope your stay will be enjoyable and fun.

Now that we got the formalities out of the way.
WoT incoming! No TL;DR here. >_>
I have started this topic to give the new players a helping hand with the gameplay part of the Warframe since most of those helping posts are all over the place, due to the current tutorial lacking, a bit.
Now i wont do the explaining in detail mind you (quite frankly i suck at it and tend to forget things) but i will, however, provide some helpful tips/topics in one place that might help.
You know what they say: give the man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you fed him for life.
So lets start.

First of with armor 2.0 here our old weapon and damage system turned upside-down, with some old players having issues the new players might be even more confused. So.....
https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/134176-explainedsolved-damage-20-builds-with-cheatsheets/
^
So in this topic _Aahz gave a deep yet simple explanation for the armor 2.0 stats. You can find here how to get new elements, what elements and stats deal damage to who and what are the effect procs. Its complimented with pictures to make the transition easier.

Secondly, parkour.
Until a new tutorial comes mastering it is confusing and may cause one or more deaths. So...
https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/2786-combo-moves-discovered/
^
In this topic Nevrmoor gave a long but detailed explanation to parkour and all its kinks and tricks. The topic provides with all the combos one can do with our keyboard (or gamepad) and is updated regularly.

As far as weapons go there are a plethora of topics about them and listing them all would take quite a while.
To sum it up most current weapons ingame (as of armor 2.0) are viable all the way to end game. After you get your MK1 Braton, Skana and Lato you might use them for a good chunk of your first few nodes, i strongly advise to gather some money (not as easy now, i suggest spamming Captain Vor after you figure out his tactics) and buy a regular Braton.
Braton is a decent starting weapon that will serve you well for quite some time (even some veterans are still using him). Properly enhanced its still deadly even past enemy level 30.
After you get Braton your next agenda is: Cronus sword from Captain Vor (the first boss) for melee; once you get enough money there are several sidearms that can be bought from the market for credits and will serve you well.
The sidearms are:
Aklato (25000 creds)- the Aklato is a dual version of the Lato pistol. They are faster, have larger magazine, decent damage, but are not as precise as single Lato with a longer reload time. They are still a good all round weapon that can pack a punch.

Sicarus (12000 creds)- Its a burst weapon that fires 3 bullets that can hit quite hard but has killer recoil. Its stronger than a Lato but it takes quite a while to master.

Lex (50000 creds)- This is a great weapon that is quite expensive but hits like a truck (kind of like a pocket hand cannon ;)). It has a decent clip size, fires one bullet per shot, huge puncture damage(great vs grineer) and can be used as a mini sniper due to his accuracy. The down side is a rather large recoil that can make rapid fire hard to control.

Now after you get some nodes under you and go past first planet you will start gathering a decent amount of starting materials. Some of them are useful, some of them... not as much. Once you get your hands on the Braton and level that bad boy to lvl 30 you will probably want to move to your next primary.
Enter the market.
In here you will find ALOT of stuff. Most of them are simply for the looks so i wont go there. I will however say that with the foundry (the hammer and anvil in your UI, also its where you will spend your crafting days) you will be able to craft, or probably will, all of the ingame weapons(bought in marker(weapons tab) with credits), warframes(blueprints can be bought in market with credits but the parts need to be gathered), alert helmets and what not.
Oh just to mention. Don't spend your platinum on warframes, weapons (unless you rly want that new shiny primary) and cosmetics. Rather spend your platinum on potaoes (orokin reactor and orokin catalyst (catalyst is for extra weapon mods points, reactor for extra warframe mod points)) and extra weapon/warframe slots, they are more important.

Now that have probably left the first planet (Mercury) Venus is your next destination. Here you will be able to get your new warframe, Rhino, from the planets boss Jackal. Oh speaking of warframes here...
https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/669-boss-locations-special-drops-void-update-11-valkyr-ember-prime/
^
Here TheNexusCloud made a complete list of all the planets bosses and their respectable drops from warframes to weapons. I will not tell you the tactics for the bosses, there are plenty of ways to find out how to fight them ;)

After all that i will give you a simple run down and some tips for the game modes (this is from my experience, so don't hate me if i mess up something T_T)

Exterminate: Simply kill everything that moves and has a weapon (its the first node on Mercury).

Capture: You must find a and shoot a guy somewhere on the game map. Once you shot him down you will be able to walk up to him and press 'X' on the keyboard (i don't know what button it is for gamepad) to collect him and then leave.
Mind you the guy will try to run away and will shot in the process so i suggest you act fast. If you are going solo good luck with it, if you are going in a group have at least two people shot at him and at least one providing covering fire.

Spy: Now the spy mission will take you trough most of the game map in search of datamasses that you will have to collect and take to the extraction. There is a minigame that involves hacking but i'm sure you will figure it out ^_^. Kill the mobs in the area, approach the terminal, fiddle with the controls, take the datamass, repeat until Lotus says stop.

Mobile Defense: In this game mode you will be given one datamass that needs to be brought to a destination, inserted into a console and defended from waves of enemies that will try to destroy it (no one knows why, we just shot at them). Its quite simple: carry datamass, kill mobs, get to the terminal, insert datamass, kill some mobs (until Lotus is satisfied and tells you to move one), repeat 2 or 3 times, run to the exit.

Deception: Deception is similar to mobile defense mode but you don't have to defend the console. Simply get the datamass to a terminal (killing everything in your way), put it in (no kinky stuff) and leave.

Sabotage: Is quite simple as well. Your mission is to get to a reactor somewhere on the map, disable it by shooting at the flashy tubes and run out.

Endless Defense/Defense: This is a bit tricky. In this mode you are given a task to defend a cryopod/artifact/reactor from a endless wave of mobs. There are several kinks to this.
Firstly mobs will grow stronger with each wave making them more dangerous each wave.
Secondly after each wave there is a 6 second time limit in whitch you prepare for the next wave(or gather loot). The objects you have to defend regenerate when they aren't being shot at so take note to that. As you progress trough waves new enemies will come up to the max the game has to offer.
Last important thing. After every 5 waves you will be given a chance to either chose a random reward (and leave) or stay and fight giving you a chance at a even greater (and again random) reward.

Survival: So far the most complicated of all the game mods. The premise is simple tho: survive as long as you can with your air supply running out. Once you start the game by hacking the console your air supply will start running out.
To add to your oxygen you will have 2 options: 1) activate a air supply capsule from lotus (its gives 30% air so use when you have 70% or less of air supply); and 2) kill mobs and get their mini air supply (i think it gives about 3%-10%, but not sure). Enemies will become harder as the game goes on so please so be careful (and don't run out as soon as 5 mins, stay a bit longer).
As far as rewards go you will be given a reward ever 5 mins with ever 15 mins the reward being a 100% chance for a random void key.

Assassination: The simplest of all game modes. Get to a boss, kill him and get out. The bosses are fun, rewards are great (note you will get weapon/warframe rewards at the end of the game mode) and you will, hopefully, enjoy it.
Last thing to note if you get to a boss without being detected or setting off a alarm most of the bosses will not have any or have some additional enemies.

Ok... that's alot of text. So i will stop here otherwise i will have to type for a solid day. -_-
One final thing i wanted to add.

The codex.
The codex is something new that was added to warframe (think pokedex) with the idea to use a gadget to gather information on all the enemies in the game (health, armor, drops, that sort of thing). Its far from complete but give it time, it will improve.
Now how to use codex.
1) go to the market, look under the 'gear' tab.
2) buy at least the basic 25 codex items
3) go to arsenal and equip the codex in the gear secion (click slot, select item, equip)
4) to use it ingame equip it by pressing the corresponding gear slot button (you can set up the buttons in the options) then aim at a opponent and hold left click until you get a confirmation that a enemy is scanned (you will see white numbers and the word 'scanned' above them); note you cannot shot during scanning process but you can use your melee weapon (if you didn't set off a alarm the scans will give higher points)
5) to unequip the codex simple press either 'F' to switch weapons or click the gear slot button
6) at the end of the mission go to the codex section and enjoy your new found knowledge)

So these are the bare basics you need to know about gameplay (the powers are explained in the tutorial).
Last thing to mention: Warframe has its own wiki page ( http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/WARFRAME_Wiki ) in whitch you will be able to find ALL the detailed information about warframes/weapons/mods/enemies and so on. If you ever need some specific advice check there. If some piece of info isn't there however (or the forums for that matter, ask away there are some very nice people here) the wiki page is being regularly updated so wait a day or two it will be there.

That is all from me. I hope this was informative and helpful and that you will enjoy warframe as much as i do (and i do enjoy it alot).
Ps: there is no Stalker ;)

Edited by Alinna

3 answers to this question

Thank you for posting this OP, very informative.

i strongly advise to gather some money (not as easy now, i suggest spamming Captain Vor after you figure out his tactics) and buy a regular Braton.

Will money come more easily later on?

Is transmutation and even maybe fusion something to wait with till one reaches the higher nodes because of the cost?

Edited by Sinn3d