The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nights of Naberus - A Lack of Significance in Events

Voltage

Another year, another Nights of Naberus. This recurring event reminds me that Warframe lacks significant events that are unique and exciting to get into, and part of this is that events have become a recycled mission, not a new experience. Relay reconstruction in the Pyrus Project didn't offer players something spectacular in rewards, but the experience was fresh and cool, with a couple of added rewards to signify you played it. This was the way most events and Operations (rip) have been treated in Warframe's history, but slowly we have gone into a direction of getting zero new events for years in a row while only being offered a couple new cosmetics in the same scheduled events with little to no improvement in how they play. Dog Days, Thermia Fractures, Cambion Drift Bounties, and Plague Star all have well-known gameplay issues that quickly make them feel stale, and these are hardly addressed, even 2, 3, or even 6 years later in the case of Plague Star.

Buried Debts, Plague Star, Naberus, and Dog Days felt interesting, but only on their introduction. These events still offer that novelty if you're a newer player who is on their first run, but I would like to know how many participants in these events are "first timers" compared to players who have already played them more than once.

I'm not sure if there is fixation on rewards more than anything else that drives these missions to become so stale, or because we're actually in a new era of the game that lacks new events to reduce development load. I know that Plague Star and Scarlet Spear are often requested to return purely for their rewards with a complete disregard for what mission is actually being available. If Scarlet Spear and Plague Star were scheduled as often as Dog Days or Nights of Naberus, their rewards (with the sole exception of Forma) would become less valuable as duplicates to the point of not being valuable to farm for (as we see with Basmu, Ceti Lacera, and almost Exodia Contagion). This is especially the case when rewards are cross-pollinated between these events. I'm sitting out this year from Nights of Naberus because all the duplicate rewards are worth peanuts now.

I'm writing this topic not because I want to see every event become a new gamemode (even though I deeply miss Operations), but because I would like to see things like Nights of Naberus, Dog Days, Buried Debts, and Plague Star actually offer improvements each time they come around, and not just a couple of cosmetics with the same core issues each time. I wrote feedback for Cambion Drift bounties two years ago, and only one of the major issues with the replayability of them is being addressed, but that's just a coincidence with the accessibility option to highlight allies and enemies coming with Dagath.

I am hoping that DE is actually reworking Plague Star this year to be a more fresh experience, and not just fixing all the ways that players have optimized it better (like Drone manipulation).

A simple change in the dynamic of recurring events that I would find appreciative for returning players is the opportunity to earn a Stratos Emblem in some fashion. This would boost the likelihood a player will check in and possibly try changes DE has made to the mission or farm. For those unaware, the Stratos Emblem is a shoulder badge that changes symbol in a progressive manner based on how many Tactical Alerts you have completed. It's a stat only you can see on your own profile if you are curious what your count is:

dcPwfkh.png

Edited by Voltage
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, (PSN)EntityPendragon said:

As long as it doesn't turn into a slog like the Halloween event before Naberus then sure ill take it. Cause I to this day heavily appreciate Naberus opposed to that boring and repetitive event, even if it is just deimos bounties.

Are you eluding to Hallowed Flame or Hallowed Nightmares? One was the Zealot Assassination and the other was the Jackonaut Assassination with no weapons.

40 minutes ago, (PSN)EntityPendragon said:

Jackonaut assassinate specifically

That was another one that repeated more than once. The Aura Mods farm from the caches in that mission also gave it replayability. A pipe dream for me is that each event we have has a unique feel to it, and if you don't like it, you'll know that it won't be repeated again at a later date. I actually enjoyed the Jackonaut, but understand why someone else might not. In the end, I wished events always strived to bring something new to the table.

Edited by Voltage

10 minutes ago, Voltage said:

I wished events always strived to bring something new to the table.

As do I. I end up never playing events cause they rarely do. 

I been around for so long and cause I rarely play events I completely forgot that hallowed flame was a thing.

(Just had a realization that you changed your glyph and never noticed. I recognized you by glyph.)

3 minutes ago, (PSN)EntityPendragon said:

As do I. I end up never playing events cause they rarely do. 

I been around for so long and cause I rarely play events I completely forgot that hallowed flame was a thing.

It was a pretty forgettable event given it was just the Zealot Assassination mission with an endurance timer that was broken.

3 minutes ago, (PSN)EntityPendragon said:

(Just had a realization that you changed your glyph and never noticed. I recognized you by glyph.)

I jump around between some of the exclusive glyphs I have that look nice :P.

Edited by Voltage
  • Like 1