The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"Performance" Settings

Ketsuiro

So, I've been fiddling with Performance options in Warframe to help it run better on my Laptop which has less than Optimal CPU overall. Typically I'd have to let the game run for upwards of an Hour to help the game run properly. Otherwise, it would lag IMMENSELY for the first few minutes of any mission, rendering me virtually useless until it eventually smoothens out, even then it lags for a little while upon entering any instance. 
I notice the various options referring to "Performance" and for one I want to confirm that when it says "High Performance" (for instance in the Launcher settings), or anything of the sort it means it will reduce quality to make the game perform better, yes? In particular, I was looking at the `Upscaling` settings and considering trying to set it to something set in stone rather than having it on Auto. Of course all in the hopes of it running better—I haven't had the chance to try testing anything at the time of me writing this, but would that work? Is my understanding of any of that correct?
(For the record: previously, I just ran the game on its `Classic` Engine and that did it for me, but that isn't a thing anymore)

Hopefully, this might help anyone in a similar position as me, because I wasn't able to find anything clarifying this information anywhere- (^ ^;)ゞ

the GPU selection option on the Launcher is to make it easier for you to force the game to use a particular GPU when you have more than one. 'high performance' will mean you force the game to use your dedicated GPU, so that it can't accidentally use any iGPU you might have present in the system.

anyways if you're sure that the CPU in your Notebook is the issue, then almost none of the Graphics Settings are likely to do anything(that's how Video Games work, Graphics Settings are generally almost entirely GPU, that's just how stuff works) - but one that may help is Geometry Quality.

and Upscaling is again a GPU thing - reducing the internal Resolution that you process is all about your GPU.

il y a 53 minutes, taiiat a dit :

the GPU selection option on the Launcher is to make it easier for you to force the game to use a particular GPU when you have more than one. 'high performance' will mean you force the game to use your dedicated GPU, so that it can't accidentally use any iGPU you might have present in the system.

anyways if you're sure that the CPU in your Notebook is the issue, then almost none of the Graphics Settings are likely to do anything(that's how Video Games work, Graphics Settings are generally almost entirely GPU, that's just how stuff works) - but one that may help is Geometry Quality.

and Upscaling is again a GPU thing - reducing the internal Resolution that you process is all about your GPU.

Oh alright, I'm not 100% on certain things regarding spec-terminology unfortunately (might be mixing up CPU and GPU), but I can see that my Laptop's base Speed is 2.42GHz and I assume that is where the problem lies since I have 16GB of RAM.

Other than that, thanks for clearing up what the `High Performance` mode means, I suppose I'd never want to use `Power Saving` in that case (except to save power Lol). In terms of adjusting `Upscaling`, I must not be mistaken about how that affects performance but whether it'll help at all depends on what the source of the problem is, I take it then—? (õ∀ŏ;)ゞ

1 hour ago, The_Determined_Ninja said:

Typically I'd have to let the game run for upwards of an Hour to help the game run properly. Otherwise, it would lag IMMENSELY for the first few minutes of any mission, rendering me virtually useless until it eventually smoothens out, even then it lags for a little while upon entering any instance. 

This shouldn't even be a CPU issue - any time the game loads a new area, it'll fetch those resources from disk and put them into RAM / VRAM to cache them for use. The CPU doesn't proactively do this, or rather it's not loading future areas it expects you to go, it only does it at runtime so I'm unsure how this would help at all to just let it run for an hour. It doesn't need to be warmed up or anything like that to perform better - even superfetch shouldn't really be useful here since the app directly loads data as it needs it. I'd just make sure you have your install on a sufficiently fast SSD to avoid any slow loading. Unless you have an extremely old and slow processor (I'm talking like, 2 cores at 1.6Ghz), most things should run the game just fine. If the nintendo switch's mobile SoC can handle it, most PC hardware from the past decade can just fine too haha.

39 minutes ago, The_Determined_Ninja said:

Oh alright, I'm not 100% on certain things regarding spec-terminology unfortunately (might be mixing up CPU and GPU), but I can see that my Laptop's base Speed is 2.42GHz and I assume that is where the problem lies since I have 16GB of RAM.

In terms of adjusting `Upscaling`, I must not be mistaken about how that affects performance but whether it'll help at all depends on what the source of the problem is, I take it then—? (õ∀ŏ;)ゞ

okay, if you're not qualified to make such determinations about your Computer, then provide information about your Computer(like what CPU, what GPU(s), what Storage Devices do you have plus where your Operating System is and where Warframe is installed to, what Model Notebook since it is one, are you usually playing on Battery or plugged in, Et Cetera) in addition to having previously described what issues you're looking to address.

yes, Upscaling is primarily for helping when your GPU isn't fast enough to reach the performance level you're hoping for. and importantly Upscaling isn't free either, it adds an additional stage to the Render Pipeline - so Upscaling can increase your minimum performance when your GPU isn't fast enough, but in doing so it does also reduce your maximum performance. generally this is more of a piece of Trivia than relevant, but it is an important note that if your GPU isn't already maxed out(i.e. if a system is currently CPUbound), that adding an Upscaling stage to your Rendering would actually reduce your performance, not increase it.

and while i'm here, a rough way to estimate a bottleneck is GPU Utilization. if your GPU is maxed out then it's the bottleneck, if your GPU isn't maxed out, then your CPU is the bottleneck.
importantly, CPU Utilization is a nearly meaningless stat, don't even bother reading it. for several reasons, but i won't bother explaining that at the moment as that's a long explanation.

34 minutes ago, Naroxas44 said:

This shouldn't even be a CPU issue - any time the game loads a new area, it'll fetch those resources from disk and put them into RAM / VRAM to cache them for use. The CPU doesn't proactively do this

however, all data must pass through the CPU twice before any other part of the system can use it. to send data to your GPU, you must first retrieve it from Disk, move it through the CPU to store it in DRAM, then Read it back from DRAM again and back out the CPU over to the GPU (which can then start its process of interpreting the data received and moving it through its Core to store in vRAM).

the CPU has a massive impact on loading anything anytime in a Computer - it's the central part of the Computer after all, it routes everything.

in the case of low performance temporarily in Gameplay, this can be from a CPU being overloaded and unable to 'run the game' and process anything else it might be processing (loading stuff, usually, but can also be Shader Compiling or Et Cetera) - and in such situations, performance will be temporarily reduced until the CPU finishes its other task(s) so that it can spend all of its time on just the game.
disclaimer: i'm not saying this is the explanation for this scenario, information must be collected first before making any decision

Edited by taiiat

look I'm here because it never happen to lag like this before Whispers in the Walls: Hotfix 35.0.7

it has something for AMD graphic card update and since i'm using Nvidia I just read and ignore them but it cause my CPU overheat and lagging for the past 2 days

I had been play on PC since a year lag cause by DX12 which switch DX11 solve problems but this overheat CPU thing never happen even from that time

it load heavily on both CPU and GPU even on lowest setting the time i'm trying but it weirdly overheat CPU alone

I hope someone report this issue and I also use a Labtop

il y a une heure, Naroxas44 a dit :

This shouldn't even be a CPU issue - any time the game loads a new area, it'll fetch those resources from disk and put them into RAM / VRAM to cache them for use. The CPU doesn't proactively do this, or rather it's not loading future areas it expects you to go, it only does it at runtime so I'm unsure how this would help at all to just let it run for an hour. It doesn't need to be warmed up or anything like that to perform better - even superfetch shouldn't really be useful here since the app directly loads data as it needs it. I'd just make sure you have your install on a sufficiently fast SSD to avoid any slow loading. Unless you have an extremely old and slow processor (I'm talking like, 2 cores at 1.6Ghz), most things should run the game just fine. If the nintendo switch's mobile SoC can handle it, most PC hardware from the past decade can just fine too haha.

Yeah, I don't know what to make of it, again might not be a "CPU" thing, I kind of just assumed it might be based on limited knowledge, but leaving the game to run did help for one reason or another. One moment the game is lagging aggressively, the next (after 2-5min in a given mission), it runs virtually seamlessly. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

20 minutes ago, taiiat said:

the CPU has a massive impact on loading anything anytime in a Computer - it's the central part of the Computer after all, it routes everything.

Unless it's extremely old and underpowered, loads for game assets should not cause significant utilization here - it's almost always the disk operating slower than the hardware interrupts that reach the CPU will occur, even when SATA III was more common and clock speeds were slower. The only space this has really been an exception at are major servers that have to push something like terabytes of data and need something like a 64 core EPYC processor to drive and handle all of those hardware calls from an I/O controller or something.

I'm not downplaying the CPU's importance, but it's very often not a bottleneck for any I/O an individual's system is processing unless it's a large amount of data or the specs are extremely old. I have had CPU bottlenecks in games on other systems before, but it's related to processing from the engine doing calculations and not fetching resources to RAM / VRAM. This doesn't sound like OPs issue, given they say it self-corrects after a period of time and this would be a consistent load during missions due to AI routines or something else the engine is handling.

To the OPs point, I was saying they should not need to wait an hour in their orbiter as resources are not going to pre-load. For DX11 there may be some shader compilation occurring in the background (or at runtime with DX12), but this should not be required again unless there's something like invalidates that cache (assuming shader caching is enabled), like a mainline update (that might change materials) or GPU driver update.

il y a 52 minutes, taiiat a dit :

okay, if you're not qualified to make such determinations about your Computer, then provide information about your Computer(like what CPU, what GPU(s), what Storage Devices do you have plus where your Operating System is and where Warframe is installed to, what Model Notebook since it is one, are you usually playing on Battery or plugged in, Et Cetera) in addition to having previously described what issues you're looking to address.

yes, Upscaling is primarily for helping when your GPU isn't fast enough to reach the performance level you're hoping for. and importantly Upscaling isn't free either, it adds an additional stage to the Render Pipeline - so Upscaling can increase your minimum performance when your GPU isn't fast enough, but in doing so it does also reduce your maximum performance. generally this is more of a piece of Trivia than relevant, but it is an important note that if your GPU isn't already maxed out(i.e. if a system is currently CPUbound), that adding an Upscaling stage to your Rendering would actually reduce your performance, not increase it.

and while i'm here, a rough way to estimate a bottleneck is GPU Utilization. if your GPU is maxed out then it's the bottleneck, if your GPU isn't maxed out, then your CPU is the bottleneck.
importantly, CPU Utilization is a nearly meaningless stat, don't even bother reading it. for several reasons, but i won't bother explaining that at the moment as that's a long explanation.

however, all data must pass through the CPU twice before any other part of the system can use it. to send data to your GPU, you must first retrieve it from Disk, move it through the CPU to store it in DRAM, then Read it back from DRAM again and back out the CPU over to the GPU (which can then start its process of interpreting the data received and moving it through its Core to store in vRAM).

in the case of low performance temporarily in Gameplay, this can be from a CPU being overloaded and unable to 'run the game' and process anything else it might be processing (loading stuff, usually, but can also be Shader Compiling or Et Cetera) - and in such situations, performance will be temporarily reduced until the CPU finishes its other task(s) so that it can spend all of its time on just the game.
disclaimer: i'm not saying this is the explanation for this scenario, information must be collected first before making any decision

Alright, so unless I'm missing anything adjusting `Upscaling` settings is worth a shot(?), so I'll try that. For future reference though my Laptop is: 

- 11th Gen Intel Core i5-1135G7 with a Base speed of 2.42GHz - 16GB RAM - Intel Iris Xe Graphics -

(Hopefully, that covers everything but not too much Lol; thank you for the information)

28 minutes ago, The_Determined_Ninja said:

- 11th Gen Intel Core i5-1135G7 with a Base speed of 2.42GHz - 16GB RAM - Intel Iris Xe Graphics -

For more context, this is your particular CPU: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/208658/intel-core-i5-1135g7-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-20-ghz.html

"Base speed" in this instance is a bit misleading since modern CPUs can boost their clock speeds for quick workloads (or even sustained ones for a while), but this is a perfectly good (and relatively new) and performant model.

It also has the iGPU (integrated GPU) you listed - Intel Iris Xe Graphics. This means that the GPU components are integrated on the CPU chip / package itself (here's a quick diagram to help better visualize it): 474551355-Intel-Blueprint-Series-11th-Ge

Having everything handled by the one chip can be great for space savings or power efficiency, but it means that it has to regulate power and thermals a lot more strictly than dedicated components. I'm not sure if you have any other GPU available, you'd have to check in something like device manager for another "display adapter" listed.

Usually the graphics processing on these chips is rather underwhelming as a result, so it may help to turn upscaling on (the FSR option should work for this GPU). You could also limit the frame rate if the device has a high refresh display - 60Hz in game should look fine without overworking the hardware too much.

You could also try switching D3D APIs in the launcher settings - there should be a DX11 and DX12 option. It might initially cause some stuttering if you change it (due to shader compilation), but I've read many users have better overall performance with DX12 (though I don't personally use it for this game specifically). It's hard to say what exactly would be causing any lag or what kind of "lag" you're referring to here just because there's a lot of different things it could be, so I'd try to adjust settings and see what works best for you. I don't think your CPU core speed is the issue here though, it would more than likely be performance issues from integrated graphics than anything else (assuming the system is adequately cooled and plugged in / using full available power and not throttling).

12 hours ago, The_Determined_Ninja said:

Yeah, I don't know what to make of it, again might not be a "CPU" thing, I kind of just assumed it might be based on limited knowledge, but leaving the game to run did help for one reason or another. One moment the game is lagging aggressively, the next (after 2-5min in a given mission), it runs virtually seamlessly. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

hmm,, that sounds a lot like Shader Compiling to me. new regions that haven't built a Shader Cache yet, would do so upon the first time that you go to such regions. so like, each Tileset, each Relay, Et Cetera. however after it's done building that Cache, you should not experience the same thing the next time you go back there.
if you do experience it each time, then it's not Shader Compiling, and more likely to be an excess of work that the system is taking a while to finish processing.

12 hours ago, The_Determined_Ninja said:

Alright, so unless I'm missing anything adjusting `Upscaling` settings is worth a shot(?), so I'll try that. For future reference though my Laptop is: 

(Hopefully, that covers everything but not too much Lol; thank you for the information)

hmm
are you sure that you don't have a dedicated GPU? if you don't know, you can run something like say.... GPU-Z, and at the bottom of the main Window there's a dropdown to switch between GPU's - if you have multiple then they should be listed there.

if it turns out that you indeed do not have a dedicated GPU, then you're definitely GPUbound on your iGPU, and so reducing pretty much any of the Graphics Settings would make a major impact.

and this CPU is passable enough, as long as it's allowed to shift its TDP/Power budget up to be able to reach higher Clockspeed under load. if it's being told to stay in low power mode or such, that will make it quite slow to finish any work.
if you're not that familiar with Computers, you can change your Power Plan (if win10) to 'high performance', or your Power Mode (if win11) to 'Best Performance'. that isn't perfect but it'll definitely tell the CPU it's allowed to push for performance, and then you can test to see it that seems to help.

Le 10/01/2024 à 20:52, Naroxas44 a dit :

For more context, this is your particular CPU: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/208658/intel-core-i5-1135g7-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-20-ghz.html

"Base speed" in this instance is a bit misleading since modern CPUs can boost their clock speeds for quick workloads (or even sustained ones for a while), but this is a perfectly good (and relatively new) and performant model.

It also has the iGPU (integrated GPU) you listed - Intel Iris Xe Graphics. This means that the GPU components are integrated on the CPU chip / package itself (here's a quick diagram to help better visualize it): 474551355-Intel-Blueprint-Series-11th-Ge

Having everything handled by the one chip can be great for space savings or power efficiency, but it means that it has to regulate power and thermals a lot more strictly than dedicated components. I'm not sure if you have any other GPU available, you'd have to check in something like device manager for another "display adapter" listed.

Usually the graphics processing on these chips is rather underwhelming as a result, so it may help to turn upscaling on (the FSR option should work for this GPU). You could also limit the frame rate if the device has a high refresh display - 60Hz in game should look fine without overworking the hardware too much.

You could also try switching D3D APIs in the launcher settings - there should be a DX11 and DX12 option. It might initially cause some stuttering if you change it (due to shader compilation), but I've read many users have better overall performance with DX12 (though I don't personally use it for this game specifically). It's hard to say what exactly would be causing any lag or what kind of "lag" you're referring to here just because there's a lot of different things it could be, so I'd try to adjust settings and see what works best for you. I don't think your CPU core speed is the issue here though, it would more than likely be performance issues from integrated graphics than anything else (assuming the system is adequately cooled and plugged in / using full available power and not throttling).

Thank you, yes it's all plugged in and whatnot—I tried DX12 on launch and the game instantly crashed XD. I run the game at 40Hz already and even lowered my resolution in-game to 720×1280ppx. Side note—honestly having tried setting the Upscaling to `Performance` as I mentioned didn't seem to help either, but I'll continue trying things as I see them (or just waiting around and hoping)

Le 11/01/2024 à 08:53, taiiat a dit :

hmm,, that sounds a lot like Shader Compiling to me. new regions that haven't built a Shader Cache yet, would do so upon the first time that you go to such regions. so like, each Tileset, each Relay, Et Cetera. however after it's done building that Cache, you should not experience the same thing the next time you go back there.
if you do experience it each time, then it's not Shader Compiling, and more likely to be an excess of work that the system is taking a while to finish processing.

hmm
are you sure that you don't have a dedicated GPU? if you don't know, you can run something like say.... GPU-Z, and at the bottom of the main Window there's a dropdown to switch between GPU's - if you have multiple then they should be listed there.

if it turns out that you indeed do not have a dedicated GPU, then you're definitely GPUbound on your iGPU, and so reducing pretty much any of the Graphics Settings would make a major impact.

and this CPU is passable enough, as long as it's allowed to shift its TDP/Power budget up to be able to reach higher Clockspeed under load. if it's being told to stay in low power mode or such, that will make it quite slow to finish any work.
if you're not that familiar with Computers, you can change your Power Plan (if win10) to 'high performance', or your Power Mode (if win11) to 'Best Performance'. that isn't perfect but it'll definitely tell the CPU it's allowed to push for performance, and then you can test to see it that seems to help.

I'm not so sure about the Shader Compiling being the issue. I've been to these locations numerous times and am experiencing lag all over again upon starting the same mission moments later. Based on what you said this information is cached after the first time I encounter certain assets, but it's definitely far from my first at this point. (^ ^;)ゞ

In other news, based on what Naroxas44 said, and past experience with OBS warning me that an iGPU is less than ideal, I think it's safe to say my laptop only has an iGPU. As for adjusting the power plan I do remember something that let me adjust a performance setting for individual programs, but I can't remember how to do it. Nonetheless, my Laptop's default Power Plan is already set to "High Performance." ┐(^~^;)┌

okay, if you're sure that you don't have a dedicated GPU, then the main thing you're trying to do is reduce Transparency Effects/Calculations (as they are extremely expensive, one of the most expensive thing in Graphics), and to reduce your vRAM Bandwidth needs, since iGPU's have very little Bandwidth.

some of the huge stuff for Core load will be:

• all types of Particles (that's all Transparency Calculations)
  • Volumetric Light, Local Reflections, Volumetric Fog (mixture of Transparency Calculations and just being generally pretty heavy)
  • Motion Blur, Depth of Field, Distortions, Glare, Film Grain (some Transparency Calculations and some Bandwidth needs, but mainly Core load - Glare and Film Grain are pretty low impact but it's still something)
  • Anti-Aliasing (moderate Bandwidth requirements, but far larger Core load)

some of the major stuff for Bandwidth will be:

• Texture Quality (significant Bandwidth requirements particularly when needing to do Transparency Calculations)
  • Anisotropic Filtering (on iGPU's one may feel a performance benefit from reducing it one step, Warframe already axed 16x mode to prevent low end systems from being able to inadvertently pick it and have major performance spikes)
  • Shadow Quality (some Core load as well, but it's mainly a lot of Bandwidth)

and a couple others that i'm not sure of the scope of their impact but may offer something noticeable - that being Dynamic Lighting and Enhanced Decals. the former is... probably mainly Core, the latter might be a mix of Core and Bandwidth.

Upscaling will be... tricky... when you're starting at 720p already, going much farther down may start to make it quite difficult to see what's going on in the game. you could try... Quality? that might still be usable. but i expect any level below that to make it too hard to actually see that's going on.

Interestingly, after a couple of days of play I can confidently say that I've found somewhat of a solution. After the thought of messing with Windows performance options themselves came to mind—though I wasn't able to find the setting I mentioned, I did come across and decide to lower the `Appearance and Performance of Windows` settings. Basically, all the basic UI functionalities of Windows—and I set that to `Adjust to attain Best Performance.` Now while it didn't 100% iron out the game for me, (given the time to run for a little while) the game lags A LOT less, if at all sometimes. I do still get some lag spikes when initially entering an area and especially if I rush in as soon as it boots like before, but unlike before, it is much more brief—lasting only 30 seconds or a minute if even that (where as before the lag took forever to stop regardless), after which the game again runs smoothly. ლ(^o^ლ)

Le 14/01/2024 à 02:06, taiiat a dit :

okay, if you're sure that you don't have a dedicated GPU, then the main thing you're trying to do is reduce Transparency Effects/Calculations (as they are extremely expensive, one of the most expensive thing in Graphics), and to reduce your vRAM Bandwidth needs, since iGPU's have very little Bandwidth.

some of the huge stuff for Core load will be:

• all types of Particles (that's all Transparency Calculations)
  • Volumetric Light, Local Reflections, Volumetric Fog (mixture of Transparency Calculations and just being generally pretty heavy)
  • Motion Blur, Depth of Field, Distortions, Glare, Film Grain (some Transparency Calculations and some Bandwidth needs, but mainly Core load - Glare and Film Grain are pretty low impact but it's still something)
  • Anti-Aliasing (moderate Bandwidth requirements, but far larger Core load)

some of the major stuff for Bandwidth will be:

• Texture Quality (significant Bandwidth requirements particularly when needing to do Transparency Calculations)
  • Anisotropic Filtering (on iGPU's one may feel a performance benefit from reducing it one step, Warframe already axed 16x mode to prevent low end systems from being able to inadvertently pick it and have major performance spikes)
  • Shadow Quality (some Core load as well, but it's mainly a lot of Bandwidth)

and a couple others that i'm not sure of the scope of their impact but may offer something noticeable - that being Dynamic Lighting and Enhanced Decals. the former is... probably mainly Core, the latter might be a mix of Core and Bandwidth.

Upscaling will be... tricky... when you're starting at 720p already, going much farther down may start to make it quite difficult to see what's going on in the game. you could try... Quality? that might still be usable. but i expect any level below that to make it too hard to actually see that's going on.

I'll keep it in the back of my mind to see if there's anything else I come across that might completely better the performance, but I can't say I have the highest of expectations for my Laptop, so what I've reached so far is honestly great. More than bearable even. Thank you for your help—you and @Naroxas44, @taiiat—God bless, and hard maybe this thread might help someone else...! (人*´∀`)。*゚+

Edited by The_Determined_Ninja

1 hour ago, The_Determined_Ninja said:

Interestingly, after a couple of days of play I can confidently say that I've found somewhat of a solution. After the thought of messing with Windows performance options themselves came to mind—though I wasn't able to find the setting I mentioned, I did come across and decide to lower the `Appearance and Performance of Windows` settings. Basically, all the basic UI functionalities of Windows—and I set that to `Adjust to attain Best Performance.` Now while it didn't 100% iron out the game for me, (given the time to run for a little while) the game lags A LOT less, if at all sometimes. I do still get some lag spikes when initially entering an area and especially if I rush in as soon as it boots like before, but unlike before, it is much more brief—lasting only 30 seconds or a minute if even that (where as before the lag took forever to stop regardless), after which the game again runs smoothly. ლ(^o^ლ)

that is quite interesting. since you're on a Notebook anyways, if you run the game in Exclusive Fullscreen (only applicable for Dx11, Dx12 does not support this legacy feature, games which present it are presenting Borderless + a Video Mode flicker, basically fake), the background like your Desktop will be automatically unloaded while the game is presenting - for what that's worth.

on systems with more GPU resources i don't normally recommend this, as Windows has already addressed multitasking capabilities as long as one has a fairly recent GPU, so games in Borderless is just better so that you can easily multi-task across multiple Displays without extra hassle for no gain. 
but users on Notebooks tend to not have multiple Displays and iGPU's need any help they can get, so in your case, it makes sense.