Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

DX12 experiencing flickering on various UI elements and shaders

Eternal

This is a rather strange one and I'm unsure if this is more of a driver issue from nvidia or something with how warframe behaves on these cards, I figured I'd get the ball rolling here to get some ideas on how to fix this or start asking the right people from here. I've observed this ever since I got my 4090fe and randomly different pieces of the ui will start flickering, sometimes even the entire UI will flicker. This is almost entirely seen on the name tags for mods in the foundry, vendor reward lists and the chat bar and menu navigation buttons while in menus. On occasion the entire UI will flicker.

This isn't very consistent but if I sit inside my mod foundry I can watch it happen constantly, it typically lasts for a few seconds and then stops, usually either blanking the whole screen or flickering the mod name tags and menu nav buttons. Typically when it stops something else will start to flicker instead.

Here's a video showing a little bit of what I'm talking about, I'll see if I can get a better example later but this shows it decently

If you slow it down to .25 speed you can see the game is still rendering it's just the mod backdrop and ui blanking out for a couple frames, afterwards the menu nav buttons flicker a little.

As for what I've done to troubleshoot this, I've tried my other gpu I have lying around which include a 4070 and my 4090 I regularly use. Both the 4070 and 4090 have this exact same problem. For the 4090 I've tried DDU for the video drivers and an entire fresh install of windows just to rule anything else out, there shouldn't be anything else conflicting with it. All drivers, bios' and windows updates are up to date.

I'm primarily suspecting a driver issue from nvidia here as the card works perfectly and passes memtest with flying colors and has 0 stability issues, on the off chance that this is a game specific issue I'm hoping that this can be fixed relatively easily.

I'd love to hear if other people have noticed similiar issues on their systems as well, this has just kinda annoyed me over the last few months where I said I've had enough and tried to do something about it. Maybe dmitri has some insight into this but I would be very surprised. If the conclusion is a driver related issue I'm hoping DE could maybe report it to nvidia, I doubt me posting to their forums would lead to anything. Thanks for the read if you did :)

Edited by Zenviscerator
this is a non gpu specific issue linked to dx12
  • Like 1

Just to confirm - you don't have any upscaling set in-game, correct? The UI renders at a different resolution from other game assets when this happens (to prevent it from being blurry) and it might be causing some issues. I can't really comment on if it's a specific 40xx issue since I don't own one to test, but I can at least confirm it doesn't happen on my 2060S with everything set to native and mostly high settings.

6 hours ago, Naroxas44 said:

Just to confirm - you don't have any upscaling set in-game, correct? The UI renders at a different resolution from other game assets when this happens (to prevent it from being blurry) and it might be causing some issues. I can't really comment on if it's a specific 40xx issue since I don't own one to test, but I can at least confirm it doesn't happen on my 2060S with everything set to native and mostly high settings.

Correct, just native 3440x1440, no AA or upscaling.

I just purchase a Gigabyte RTX 4060 T.i. and had the same issue, had flickering issue on it, seems Directx12 is still buggy turn it back to Directx11. It help me out, by the way I also DDU a ton of times in Safe Mode, BIOS is up to date.

DirectX 12 option in test cluster for Steel Path : r/Warframe

Edited by TheeMull

5 hours ago, TheeMull said:

I just purchase a Gigabyte RTX 4060 T.i. and had the same issue, had flickering issue on it, seems Directx12 is still buggy turn it back to Directx11. It help me out, by the way I also DDU a ton of times in Safe Mode, BIOS is up to date.

DirectX 12 option in test cluster for Steel Path : r/Warframe

Hmm so it might be a DX12 issue, I’ll have to check that when I get home never thought to switch to dx11 and I don’t really want to honestly. Glad I’m not the only one that has ran into this though

I see this is a pretty long standing issue at this point, I found this forum thread here detailing exactly what has been happening, the conclusion being dx12 backend having changed since the Kullervo update, which makes sense as that’s around the time I bought my 4090. It also seems that it’s actually NOT a card specific issue as there’s reports of 2000 and 3000 series card owners experiencing the same.

They do also show these flashes where all of the shaders and lighting rendering in the scene will go dark for a few frames causing it to also “flicker” which I have seen but is not very common on my end.

Here’s the thread for anyone curious but I suppose this answers my question 

It’s hard to believe this has been an issue since June of last year… I’ll be looking for some kind of update in the future so I can switch back to dx12 (I thought dx12 was out of beta at this is point but maybe not). maybe there’s another reason for why this is happening but right now it just appears that dx12 needs some love, cheers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zenviscerator said:

I see this is a pretty long standing issue at this point, I found this forum thread here detailing exactly what has been happening, the conclusion being dx12 backend having changed since the Kullervo update, which makes sense as that’s around the time I bought my 4090. It also seems that it’s actually NOT a card specific issue as there’s reports of 2000 and 3000 series card owners experiencing the same.

They do also show these flashes where all of the shaders and lighting rendering in the scene will go dark for a few frames causing it to also “flicker” which I have seen but is not very common on my end.

Here’s the thread for anyone curious but I suppose this answers my question 

It’s hard to believe this has been an issue since June of last year… I’ll be looking for some kind of update in the future so I can switch back to dx12 (I thought dx12 was out of beta at this is point but maybe not). maybe there’s another reason for why this is happening but right now it just appears that dx12 needs some love, cheers

Yeah sad to hear but hope they fix soon, its happening all over, just today I saw a streamer that streams the game goes by the name NoSympathyy, he has a 3080 RTX and was also experience the issue but he was clueless to it and in the chat someone notice and had to tell him yeah issue with DX12. well hoping DE acknowledge this issue but this goes back months with no update. 

• Like 1

I've got a 3080Ti  on DirectX 12 and getting the same thing.   I've seen it on the Login screen, just idling in my landing craft, even occasionally in a mission.

Replaced the Display Port cable and changed the ports on my Monitor and GPU all thinking it was one of them causing this with no effect..

On 2024-02-23 at 1:10 PM, TheeMull said:

Directx12 is still buggy turn it back to Directx11

Ah, this is why I never saw this - yeah I'm using the DX11 API. DX12 crashes on me way too frequently, and while the performance improvements are nice the consistency of having a live service game not lose your progress is more important to me.

This specific issue seems relatively common, so hopefully they can repro it and resolve it soon!

Yeah I watched the devshorts today from steve and rebecca and it sounds like they're working on shader prefetching for dx12 at the moment. I'm hoping that with the work they're doing to it right now they'll pick this up along the way, but at least we know that they're actively working on it in some capacity (they specifically mentioned hitching inside of dx12 and that its a WIP)

Here's the timestamp for those interested 

• Eternal changed the title to DX12 experiencing flickering on various UI elements and shaders
  • 2 weeks later...

Appears to be an NVIDIA issue with 30/40-series cards(?) and DX12 in Warframe. This hasn't been fixed in literally a year since I last checked it.

Chipping in because I have an RTX 4090 and hoping to get some attention on this because it does run better (FPS) in DX12 mode.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2024-03-05 at 8:30 AM, Nekomian said:

Ah, this is why I never saw this - yeah I'm using the DX11 API. DX12 crashes on me way too frequently, and while the performance improvements are nice the consistency of having a live service game not lose your progress is more important to me.

This specific issue seems relatively common, so hopefully they can repro it and resolve it soon!

This is funny. I've come back to the game after a year hiatus.  My game crashes every 10-20 mins now using DX11. Before my break, I had ~10 crashes going all the way back to 2015 across 2 different PCs. 

Using DX12 has fixed the crashes, but now I get the menu flickers. Better than crashing I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Using a RTX 4080 with AMD 7900X on Windows 10 (posting for posterity) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The_Mustachio said:

This is funny. I've come back to the game after a year hiatus.  My game crashes every 10-20 mins now using DX11. Before my break, I had ~10 crashes going all the way back to 2015 across 2 different PCs. 

Using DX12 has fixed the crashes, but now I get the menu flickers. Better than crashing I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Using a RTX 4080 with AMD 7900X on Windows 10 (posting for posterity) 

Yeah I thought recently I'd start using dx11 again myself since I got tired of the visual glitches in dx12, I could live with the slower load times but man I started having a couple "hardware" crashes in warframe a bit too frequently that I never get with dx12. Back on dx12 again for the past couple weeks, I suppose I'll be living with the flickering too lol

I've got a 7800x3d and an rtx 4090, still wondering if cards older than 2000 series are affected, I have a friend with a gtx 1080 that swears he doesn't have this problem but it reamins to be seen if he actually doesn't or hasn't noticed it.

Some kind of update on this would be really nice, its been a long time issue