Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Aster-The Pollen/Flower Warframe Concept

EchoEagle

So I've thrown around a couple of ideas for Warframes, 2 ideas stuck in my head and eventually mixed.  A Flower/plantlife based Warframe a bit like Saryn or Nidus.  While Oberon has his 'Hallowed Ground' it's doesn't feel like a plant based ability.  The other idea was that of a gas based Warframe, and while there is apparently another Fan-Idea named Vapor, I haven't looked at that so that my design is fully my own and not influenced by someone else's ideas.

First I'll go with Acquisition and building materials first, out of all the ideas 2 stick out.  Either it's a new mission reward for the Blueprints, Zariman or Earth are really the only 2 places I could think of having this warframe though.  And the Pity system would also exist for it, if the Zariman has it then Hombask could supply it, and if it's an Earth mission an Ostron could take over the System(I vote for Master Teasonai but it could be anyone, even someone new).
As for the resources needed to make it, I'd actually vote we bring in some of the Plants from different planets.  Sunlight Dragonlily(earth), Dusklight Sarracenia(Ceres), Silphsela(Duviri), and Nistlepod(PoE).  2 of them are flowers, one is dropped from a flower, while the last is a carnivorous plant from the Plains.  No real lore story though.

Do keep in mind everything is meant to be theoretical, so some of these ideas might be bad.  Do be kind though.  All abilities will be showing the rank 30 stats, if they describe stats at all.  Names are theoretical.

Warframe: Aster

Codex Entry: A warframe originally designed to recover the earth and spread new life, he was too effective, producing plumes of pollen that choke out any who approached.  A sweet sent followed by a gasping cough, not many live to tell the tale.

Passive: Gas Procs are larger and longer lasting.  They gain an additional 1 meter base range, causing max stacks to reach 7 meters, duration is also increased by 25%. And any Gas procs caused by you/your abilities use a new 'pollen' texture. (I thought about adding a damage boost, but I don't feel that would be balanced to do.)

The 'Pollen' texture is meant to be kinda like floating particles, as I'm not sure if the Gas clouds could become disruptive to regular gameplay.

1st Ability-Biting Scent: An ability which targets an enemy then releases a cloud of pollen, hitting all enemies within 5 meters for a set amount of damage multipled by the targeted enemy level, causing guaranteed Gas proc on the target as well.(Possible to have a damage cap.)

2nd Ability-Strangling Bloom: An AOE 'cone shaped' ability, which roots enemies to the ground for 'a short while' trapped in flowering vines, in a manner similar to Petrification or Freeze.  If you cause enough damage they are released early, but in return it releases a gas cloud which unleashes the half the damage you caused to the given enemy.  To balance it, either it's got a somewhat short range, or it has a set amount of enemies it can hit.

3rd Ability-Disrupting Pheromones: This ability creates a flower which draws focus from enemies up to 20 meters, while they might still attack you, they'll be drawn towards the flower, if they get within 5 meters then they get a debuff, making them cough, unable to attack while stumbling about for 10 seconds.

4th Ability-Inflaming Storm: Releases a zone of flowers that release pollen to display the affected area, base range would be 15 meters.  Any enemies who are in/enter the area become Vulnerable to damage(displayed by pollen sticking to the enemies), up 35% at base strength, and increases by 0.5% per second while the enemies stay within the area, to a max of 50%.  Allies who enter the area get Status resistance/immunity which lasts for 3 seconds after leaving, scaling with mods.(Max damage would scale with Ability Strength)

The three later abilities are meant to be more crowd control, with the last having a buff that does help allies.  The alternative would be to give it the effect of granting Gas damage either to allies, or make it where the enemies affected take additional gas damage and have a guaranteed proc.

But ya, that's my Warframe Idea for a gas damage based Warframe.  His name is derived from the Aster flower Genus, which is known for causing allergies, and while it might not be the worst source, it is a common one.(Part of the idea was made from Hay Fever, which is caused by allergies being overloaded)

For a final note, if I were to give him a signature weapon, I'd either give a hammer with Gas damage, or a 'beam' gun that causes direct gas damage(Something like the Ignis style, but not necessarily as strong as the Ignis Wraith).  With Aster granting increased Status chance for attacks, or increased weapon efficiency(heavy attack/ammo).

On 2024-02-26 at 5:55 PM, lightning64 said:

Hello! Guy who made vapor lol, i just wanna say i absolutely adore this concept. Plants/botany is such a cool concept for a frame and i think you did a excellent job with aster :3

Thanks.  After reading your post I realize I was a bit sparse on my information, so I'll add that here.

His design:  For Aster, I'd use the Ents from mythology as the base, broad and bulky looking, I'd compare him to Rhino.  His primary design is that of a bark and vines, with armor plates being embedded in his body with an ornate floral pattern on them, the 'plantlike' structure growing over said armor and breaking apart the armor, the vines/roots are like that of muscles stretching and tensing with movements.  His legs are like tree trunks, getting gradually wider, ending in round, stump like feet.  His left arm being covered in a large twisted branch, breaking the armor out to create a jagged 'guard' that extends over his hand.  His right side looks a bit more normal, the armor not being dislodged.  Both arms have flowers matching his name blooming from them.  As for his helmet, the armor split in three parts, with the plant growths dividing the plates, growing leaves like one would hair, though very flat to the head.

(Note: The left arm 'armor' is technically auxiliary, and can be toggled off.)

His Stats:  At rank 30, his stats would be as such, modeled off other frames I'd compare him to.(Limbo, Nova, etc)
                 Health: 370
                 Shields: 280
                 Armor: 105
                 Energy: 225

Abilities: I decided to better describe the abilities and how they are cast, plus giving them general stats so readers can get a better idea of them.

1st Ability-Biting Scent(25 energy): The ability does a flat 50 damage, however it is multiplied by enemy level times ability strength.  So a level 50 enemy at 150% ability strength causes a 3,750 cloud of damage, guaranteed proc on the enemy of 1,875 damage.  Range of 15 meters for casting range, both casting range and AOE explosion scale with ability range.  Duration does nothing for this ability(it's like Volt's shock ability)  This is most likely the Helminth subsumable.

The casting animation is Aster throwing forward a flower blossom with his left hand, which explodes on contact with the enemy.

2nd Ability-Disrupting Pheromones(50 Energy): This ability doesn't really benefit from Strength, at most it might increase their movement speed towards the flower.  Rather you want ability range & duration, the ability lasts 20 seconds, drawing in enemies before they get hit with the 'coughing' status, which is technically just a reskinned blinded status.  If enemies are dragged in, they will also be hit with the effect.  Enemies that get within 20 meters start being drawn in, but they need to be within 5 meters of the flower to be affected.

The animation is Aster reaching out and pulling up his arm, growing a flower/flower bush 1 meter in front of him.  This creates a ring of energy at the range, showing where enemies need to enter to be affected.

3rd Ability-Strangling Bloom(75 energy): The damage cap works similar to the sleep rules, that if you cause 50% or more of their current health it is 'freed', however for this ability, it creates a special gas field that uses a calculation like this (taken damage/2)*(Ability strength).  The cone is a 10~12 meter length, with the gas field being an ability AOE starting at 1.5 meters, so ability range & duration do effect it.  It will also retrigger gas procs when enemies are released, so if an enemy has one already, then the duration refreshes and they get an extra gas stack(does not add damage to the proc, however).

The casting animation is a stomp, which causes roots/vines to reach out of the ground and bind targets.  It works on flying enemies as well, don't worry.

4th Ability-Inflaming Storm(25 Energy+2.5 energy per second): I switched this to a channeled ability, as I feel it's a bit closer to how strong this ability can be.   I'll be changing the stats, it just straight up gives 2x damage multiplier to enemies caught in range.  This is effected by ability strength, so while it at first causes double damage final multiplier, at 200% it causes 4x damage multiplier.(It does not double dip with status effects)  It has a 15 meter range, while this might seem large, it's a channeled ability, so I felt the larger range fit.  Both Duration & Efficiency both reduce the drain of the channeled ability.

The casting animation is rather long, where Aster roots himself to the ground, spreading out roots to the full area, the roots then grow flowers, which begin to release pollen to inflame the enemies weaknesses. Aster then unroots, with the area wilting if you cancel the ability, before 'atomizing' and fading away.

I swapped around the 2nd and 3rd ability after adding stats to them, Disrupting Pheromones doesn't really have the 'kick' needed to be a 3rd ability. Meanwhile his 3 definitely felt like it had the