The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Automatic Down-Ranking of Mods

Xylia

So here's a scenario I run into often:

I am leveling a weapon. I put what mods I can fit on that weapon, and I have, say, 8 points left over.

Not enough to stick what I want on it, let's say I wanna add elemental damage. Those are usually 9 for a maxed out mod. I could put an unranked one on, as that's 5 points, but then there's those 3 points that don't get used.

Suggestion:

Mods automatically downrank if you don't have enough Capacity to put it on.

I'd put the fully ranked mod on there, and it would automatically downrank to 8. And maybe, during the mission, when I gain a level, it will adjust to being 9 cost that way I'm utilizing all of my capacity points.

EDIT: I know I could keep around mods that have different rankings on, but that's kludgy AF and it takes up way too much room on the mod select screen.

Edited by Xylia

Rebecca mentioned that there is a technical limitation for the idea of downranking mods (whether done by the player or automatically) back in 2015:

On 2015-09-10 at 8:34 PM, [DE]Rebecca said:

The mod rank selection (sometimes referred to as underclocking) is a good (frankly great) concept but under the hood it is a bit of a nightmare with the way Mod info is stored per account. It is a very, very hard issue to solve, it technically has a solution in game now with copies of mods, and right now I don't see it entering the dev's pile of priorities considering how much full their current plate is.  Maybe one day.

Forma applications being a permanent consumable will be staying this way for the foreseeable future, but some interesting suggestions about per loadout are cool (although run us into the info-stored per account problem).

(Source)

I don't see it happening personally.