Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Crashes, sends to faulty ram page.

Alex_Nos

So as the title states, warframe crashes on me and then sends me to the webpage the details faulty ram, over heating, or overclocking.

here's the thing, i've done all 3 and found that:

my ram is working as intended

my pc's gpu and cpu both sit at 41 degrees Celsius (the normal operating temperature)

and that my cpu while has a base speed of 4.50Ghz and can run anywhere between 4.50 and 5.20Ghz, is set to the default speed of the processor and is not overclocked.

the crashes only happen with warframe, doesnt happen with any other game i play.

i'm at my wits end and i have no clue what is causing the crash. it runs great on my steamdeck however. 

• 3 weeks later...

I played the first 10 or 15 hours or so without any problems. And out of nowhere now I've had the same problem happening to me.

it will happen at least once per gaming session, and I've run memory diagnostics and my RAM is fine.
it also only happens in Warframe for me and after doing research online, I have yet to find any real solution to this...

I had 3 of these crashes recently in a netracell, archon hunt and a circuit run, all within a week of each other. I recently switched back over to dx11 when those crashes happened. After going back to dx12 I haven't had another one of these crashes for the past 2 weeks now. I can't tell you if that is actually related and unfortunately these crashes could be for multiple reasons on other peoples systems but there MIGHT be a relation there. Interested if other people have noticed these recently as well as when the game crashes in this manner it doesn't get logged and no war report is generated, definitely hard for DE to track which is why it sends you to a "faulty hardware" page.

• Like 1

oh u know what i think u're right and this could be the solution right here, luckily i have tried switching dx versions a few weeks ago (from dx12 to dx11) and indeed i dont remember having any issues on it. my other laptops that keep on crashing arent dx12 capable so yea that is probably why. and here i am thinking it was the windows version all along causing the issues. 

edit: well hopefully DE does have a fix for dx11 players too. 🙏

Edited by Nir7anaGG
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Just ran into this on a new machine. Game crashes to the desktop warframe memory fault page on mission end. Ran memory diagnostics and they come up clean. Box is a 5800X3D/4080 under Win11 and was running DX11. Planning on switching over to DX12 and we'll see what's what. 

My old box (2700X/1080ti/DX11) running Win10 hasn't had any of this sort of thing happen. 

Edit: ran a couple games under DX12. No crashes so far. 

Edited by Sloan441
  • Like 1

To @Alex_Nos and ee,

There could be multiple reasons so First try to ensure what IS the problem...

• Make shortcut "C:\Windows\System32\perfmon.exe /rel" name it Performance Monitor reliability. This give you program/windows crashes details since ONE MONTH.
  • You can use ProcDump too
  1. (optional for advanced geek) : You can also use ProcDump if warframe crash but not your OS,
  2. Get the logs in launcher after a crash,
  3. Submit a ticket with all those files above

There can be multiple reasons, so far I did see :

1. XMR ram or Intel Overclock not working correctly
  2. Video Driver's (To Update or before-last update)
  3. Game Update fail : Verify+Optimize twice can solve,
  4. Problem with DX11, ok with DX12... -_-;
  5. DUST, yeah the I must clean my graphic card and ram (that was mine)
  6. Windows "Game mode" was ON.
  7. Frequent Alt-tabbing with Fullscreen make crashes => Borderless Screen (got this one too)
  8. ...

6 hours ago, RLanzinger said:

To @Alex_Nos and ee,

There could be multiple reasons so First try to ensure what IS the problem...

• Make shortcut "C:\Windows\System32\perfmon.exe /rel" name it Performance Monitor reliability. This give you program/windows crashes details since ONE MONTH.
  • You can use ProcDump too
  1. (optional for advanced geek) : You can also use ProcDump if warframe crash but not your OS,
  2. Get the logs in launcher after a crash,
  3. Submit a ticket with all those files above

There can be multiple reasons, so far I did see :

1. XMR ram or Intel Overclock not working correctly
  2. Video Driver's (To Update or before-last update)
  3. Game Update fail : Verify+Optimize twice can solve,
  4. Problem with DX11, ok with DX12... -_-;
  5. DUST, yeah the I must clean my graphic card and ram (that was mine)
  6. Windows "Game mode" was ON.
  7. Frequent Alt-tabbing with Fullscreen make crashes => Borderless Screen (got this one too)
  8. ...

I think it’s all but confirmed that it’s an issue solely in dx11 mode. I’ve even seen it affecting people inside of Linux using dxvk proton. I’ve been using dx12 again for the past month now and I haven’t had a single crash again where it was happening at least once every couple days before. New system, no mem issues, bios and drivers are up to date, totally stable on my 7800x3d and rtx4090

To @Eternal,

DX11 is not faulty, it is a bit more limited.

• DX11 use one CPU, more ram but DX12 can use multiples CPU and dedicate more to the GPU.
  • DX11 Linear GPU tasks (lightning/texture) per frame where DX12 can use multiples tasks for different features.

With higher resolutions and higher FPS/setting, DX12 which is newer can handle more than IF you gpu support it.

On the counter part DX12 can have some problems : "The reason for FPS drop and stuttering is that the game engine tries to use all the CPU cores at once, and if your PC doesn’t have enough power, it will drop frames " that means some players had to change their power source for a bigger one OR use more power supply wire (yeah some Dumbo did only use one Y power wire for a rtx4090 🤦‍♂️).

8 hours ago, RLanzinger said:

To @Eternal,

DX11 is not faulty, it is a bit more limited.

• DX11 use one CPU, more ram but DX12 can use multiples CPU and dedicate more to the GPU.
  • DX11 Linear GPU tasks (lightning/texture) per frame where DX12 can use multiples tasks for different features.

With higher resolutions and higher FPS/setting, DX12 which is newer can handle more than IF you gpu support it.

On the counter part DX12 can have some problems : "The reason for FPS drop and stuttering is that the game engine tries to use all the CPU cores at once, and if your PC doesn’t have enough power, it will drop frames " that means some players had to change their power source for a bigger one OR use more power supply wire (yeah some Dumbo did only use one Y power wire for a rtx4090 🤦‍♂️).

Not saying dx11 is inherently faulty, it’s just that the issue exists only while using dx11. There’s always gonna be some api specific bugs, especially with a game like warframe that has more than 1 available to use. Unfortunately it is difficult for them to track it down, they don’t have any crash reports of this, the game just brings you to the faulty hardware page when it happens. 

Also, dx12 stutters from shader compilation, not from using all your cores at once or anything. Once your shader cache has been built up the stuttering goes away. Games don’t have asynchronous shader compilation yet so the main render thread has to abruptly stop to wait for a new shader to be rendered.

Just want to add to this real quick, I switched back to dx11 just to test it out and got another one of these crashes, this time I actually have log files. Unfortunately they don't show much of anything. Happened from alt tabbing in borderless windowed mode sitting in orbiter

Event viewer shows a generic nvidia driver crash, similar to it being "not detected" because the driver crashed i9qj8r.png

And here the EE log shows about the same but it makes me think it is a dxgi swapchain issue

Spoiler

2388.929 Gfx [Warning]: D3DAssert: Dx11GpuStats::CreateQuery(D3D11_QUERY_TIMESTAMP_DISJOINT) returned 0x887A0005 (The GPU device instance has been suspended. Use GetDeviceRemovedReason to determine the appropriate action.)
2388.933 Gfx [Warning]: D3DAssert: Dx11GpuStats::CreateQuery(D3D11_QUERY_TIMESTAMP) returned 0x887A0005 (The GPU device instance has been suspended. Use GetDeviceRemovedReason to determine the appropriate action.)
2388.933 Gfx [Warning]: D3DAssert: Dx11GpuStats::CreateQuery(D3D11_QUERY_TIMESTAMP_DISJOINT) returned 0x887A0005 (The GPU device instance has been suspended. Use GetDeviceRemovedReason to determine the appropriate action.)
2388.933 Gfx [Warning]: D3DAssert: Dx11GpuStats::CreateQuery(D3D11_QUERY_TIMESTAMP) returned 0x887A0005 (The GPU device instance has been suspended. Use GetDeviceRemovedReason to determine the appropriate action.)
2388.933 Gfx [Error]: Dx11TextureMgr::Present() failed, hr = 0x887A0005
2388.933 Gfx [Error]: Present failed; device removed: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG
2388.946 Gfx [Warning]: ResetDriver called on: Dx11Driver
2388.947 Gfx [Info]: Dx11 Driver Failure

So I'm going out on a whim here and saying this is likely an issue with using Optimized Flip Model Presentation in the dxgi swapchain for dx11. Again using these exact same settings I haven't had a single crash inside of dx12.