Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×

The Deadhead and Merciless arcanes need a touchup

After playing with a lot more weapons lately, I'm now experiencing a consistent issue with the upkeep of Deadhead and Merciless (and galvanized mods).

For Deadhead in particular, it's the fact that DoTs do not contribute to getting a stack of Deadhead. Take for the Sporothrix as an example; it's a projectile sniper that has an incredible amount of status chance made even more deadlier with its Volatile Variant augment. With this in mind, you would obviously want to go for headshots with this thing since it's a sniper and so it makes sense to put on Deadhead. The issue is that because of its projectile nature, before your next shot can land the headshot kill for the deadhead stack, there's a very high chance that your target(s) will die from your DoTs (or even teammates). This is a huge pain since there's nothing you can do about it other than to be in front of the target's face and salvo your shots in before the target dies to DoTs, which is one of the gun's greatest strengths. With the introduction of Murmur units, this is made much harder to do because of how tanky everything is and you'd want a lot of both direct damage and DoT damage to do the job.

For Merciless (and basically galvanized mods and Deadhead too), not only does it heavily suffer from other teammates, but it also suffers from your Warframe potentially getting in the way. Recently I've played Gyre and took Akstiletto Prime in SP Circuit and roughly around the 50 minute mark, I've noticed that I've barely had a stack of my galvanized buffs, and maybe 2 merciless buffs and the only reason I was actually doing work was because of decrees. Because of Gyre as a quasi-nuke, and in combination of having a Mesa on my team, I was far weaker than I should've been since I wasn't getting the kills that I needed which made me start to fall off significantly. And even if I did get some kills for Merciless, these buffs would quickly expire before I can get my next true weapon kill.

I think basic touchups for these are:

For Deadhead, DoT damage should contribute to Deadhead if the shot that created the procs hit the head (so that even on weapons with 1x headshot multiplier can still contribute) 

For Merciless, the timer could be extended more, and decreasing the amount of stacks required to reach max damage potential (of course adjusting the damage % values to compensate)

And for Merciless, Deadhead, and Galvanized buffs, doing an amount of damage to targets with your weapon will also contribute to their respective buff. So even if you didn't get the kill, as long as you did some damage (maybe like 5-10% damage to the target), and your Warframe or teammates did a cleanup then you will also be rewarded for your efforts. This will be a huge QoL for automatics, it will assist AoE weapons that have very little ammo, and it makes precision weapons feel a lot better since you didn't do all of that aiming to the head just for something else to kill them.

When these arcanes were introduced, this gave a much needed "buff" to primaries and secondaries but this game has evolved a lot more since then and so the arcanes should seriously be considered having some sort of QoL to grow with the game. Nowadays, Deadhead as a "skill" reward is a nice idea but can fall completely flat and be more of a detriment, and Merciless is just too short (even with its 12x stacks) while also being capable of getting robbed of these stacks.