The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Instability on recent Intel Processors

On 2024-07-24 at 1:04 PM, jaspreet12 said:

I have an i9 14900K and cant play a mission any longer than 20 minutes, iv reinstalled, verified and optimized the cache and i have no windows or gpu drivers up date! I just want to play the game. can anyone help me?

You need to update your BIOS. I literally said that 4 comments up.

The issue is your BIOS needs to be updated to the most stable BIOS because older BIOS settings with stuff like i9 14900K processors are cooking your processor. You should do this now. It won't get any better, and you risk making the chip physically fail as the motherboards push too much power into the processor.

Go to my post in the FOLLOW-UP to this thread, for a full explanation and what you'll want to do.

Edited by Salenstormwing
Link to Additional Info and Help.

Under Windows update there is a setting called "Optional Updates" have a look under that as Windows checks with the major motherboard manufacturers and software vendors to check if there are any "optional" updates that you can apply. This negates the associated risk that can come from running a straight BIOS update as Windows takes a backup copy of your BIOS and does a verification check that it applies correctly before rebooting, if it fails verification Windows reboots and puts the original BIOS back.

I've had it roll back on a fair few machines at work when we push it remotely or via a manual update. 

В 29.07.2024 в 21:47, iaint6666 сказал:

Under Windows update there is a setting called "Optional Updates" have a look under that as Windows checks with the major motherboard manufacturers and software vendors to check if there are any "optional" updates that you can apply. This negates the associated risk that can come from running a straight BIOS update as Windows takes a backup copy of your BIOS and does a verification check that it applies correctly before rebooting, if it fails verification Windows reboots and puts the original BIOS back.

I've had it roll back on a fair few machines at work when we push it remotely or via a manual update. 

Windows... Backups BIOS? Wth are you smoking? Do you even know what BIOS/UEFI is? 

If BIOS update bricks, your motherboard is basically a piece of glass with wires unless it has dual-BIOS. Which about 99% motherboard do not have. So where Windows will have such backup?

Frankly speaking if Windows suddenly began to spread BIOS update, that would've been really bad day. Their many year out-of-date drivers update are already painful enough sometimes. 

11 hours ago, DimkaTsv said:

Frankly speaking if Windows suddenly began to spread BIOS update, that would've been really bad day. Their many year out-of-date drivers update are already painful enough sometimes. 

+1 to this - Windows Update has burned me way too many times with incorrect or outdated driver versioning, I'd always just recommend going to the OEM site directly for any updates for drivers or BIOS.

That said, apparently many modern machines (in particular business machines) have some sort of "UEFI Recovery" hidden partition that you can use - not quite sure how that works since I'd presume the computer wouldn't even post if the BIOS is borked (I've had a system do this on bios update back in 2013, had to send it in for repair to reflash the chip), but both HP and Dell seem to have instructions on their site to deal with it: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_3932413-2337994-16 .

That said, the BIOS update provided via Windows Update is straight from the OEM, so it's not Windows doing some "backup" - it's the OEM providing some tools for recovery on failure in place. @iaint6666 The rollbacks that occurred on those work computers were likely handled by the OEM, not Windows. I'm not sure how it's restoring it, but it's probably something in place in the tooling that handles verification, since these systems likely don't have dual-BIOS support (not many do since it's more costly to implement 2 chips vs 1, even if barely), but I guess it depends on how it's implemented.

If, for whatever reason, you're not sure what all this has meant, the wonderful folks at Gamers Nexus did a 45 minute video about the issues Intel has been having with Gen 13 and 14 processors.

It's a real mess. In the end, you should look to update your PC's bios if you can, and check to make sure your BIOS is the latest in the upcoming months just in case they fix any more issues during this time.