The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How to improve railjack from an actual railjack enjoyer.

Skaale

Railjack, in my opinion, is very close to being a very addicting game mode. Here is my feedback. 

Cons

• Crafting should not be vital to the mission. Dedicate the crafting stations to something non-critical. Omni, dome charges, and other things should be either heat or energy feuled. Crafting would only be cool within the original pitch for what Railjack was supposed to be. 
  • Cy should be able to pilot the ship, if he isn't able to already. 
  • Archgun projectiles are far too slow to be meaningfully aimed most of the time. 
  • Pilot should be able to fire forward artillery.
  • The scale of characters, ships, objects are often inconsistent inside/outside. It is not subtle. 
  • The original pitch of what railjack was supposed to be feels unrealized, but the dream is still alive. 
  • Add missions like survival or defense in Railjack. Galleon shows up every 5 minutes, destroy it, mission continues. Epic long space battles. As in, out in space fighting the space battle. 

Pros

• Movement is great, as always. 
  • Abilties, buildcraft, and turrets are all good as is. 
  • The ability to enter enemy ships and do missions within is a lovely remnant of what Railjack could've been. Even going into crewships is cool. 
  • The gameplay areas are big and offer an acceptable amount of exploration, despite not being open world. 
  • Most importantly. I want more Railjack. So you must have done something right!
  • The immersive load screen should be adopted with regular game modes, because it's that good. 
  • Combat feels good when not doing annoying chores. 
  • Like 8

IMO, to get railjack relevant they need:

1. Streamline loading. You can't really just 'jump into a railjack mission', both because it's several extra menu steps (often to do the SAME mission) but also because of the dry dock at the end which is like moving through mud, plus the load itself tends to be what, 3x-5x longer than a regular mission load? We need fast in, fast out. Better integration with the starchart could be included in this. We don't even need to go to the dry dock afterwards tbh. If we want to dry dock, we can go there on our own.
  2. A good endless mode. NOT a taxi-jack, but a dedicated railjack mode. More than one would be even better. I'd include just total removal of taxi-jack because it's not doing RJ any favors as a game mode but that's probably too much to ask for. Regardless, more RJ-specific game modes - not just endless and not just RJ versions of previous modes (i.e. Interception with RJs) - would help a lot too. Make something interesting out there.
  3. Diversification and expansion of equipment. Currently, you just get the best in each category and then you're done and mostly never touch the equipment screen again. This is in part due to a lack of diversity in objectives and in part because the gear is a pyramid. Meaningful gear choices would make it more interesting, as well as just more of them - it's pretty limited. I'll include necramechs here too, because they tend to go hand-in-hand with RJ and they also suffer from the exact same problems. (And so do archwings but they're just taxis in the current state). I'd especially like to point out that there is just ONE railjack you can get. That's pretty terrible. Make half a dozen at least, each with their own interiors, pros and cons, etc. Some could be fast solo gun ships, others could be crew transports with 6-8 players. Some could be fast, some could be stealthy. A fleet. Options.

And on my personal wish list:

1. Necramelee
  2. Archwing expansion
  3. Make it so multiple railjacks can be in the same mission
  4. More enemies, especially big enemies. Crew ships are just hulking cargo ships that are no threat. Give the enemy some destroyers, cruisers. Things that are a battle.
  5. Multi-area / mutli-stage space missions
  6. More RJ artillery options

I can definitely support this idea - Railjack definitely needs some additional things.

Another idea is to integrate the Railjack better into the game once unlocked.  Currently its mission map is entirely different and separate from the regular mission map in the orbiter - which does make sense, but it also helps make it feel isolated as a game mode.

My idea to fix this is to basically treat it like an upgraded Orbiter once you get it - you'd have access to the same mission map as in the Orbiter, plus additional Railjack-only mission nodes.  Going to a regular mission would add the option of a Railjack component to the mission of approaching the mission space (and being able to explore optional areas first), similar to how Railjack missions work currently. 

This would also allow the Railjack-only missions to become more specialized, such as interfering in a fleet battle between Grineer and Corpus, or similar grander-scope sort of missions.

• Like 1

On 2024-08-07 at 1:11 PM, rhoenix said:

Another idea is to integrate the Railjack better into the game once unlocked.  Currently its mission map is entirely different and separate from the regular mission map in the orbiter - which does make sense, but it also helps make it feel isolated as a game mode.

We all thought it would be a replacement for the Orbiter at one point. 

22 hours ago, Skaale said:

We all thought it would be a replacement for the Orbiter at one point.

I hadn't really thought of it like that, but the more I do, the more I like the idea of the Railjack outright replacing the Orbiter as an upgrade.  Having it be capable of all the same missions while aboard, especially if they add an optional railjack deployment option per mission, so any given mission is similar to the ones offered in Railjack currently would be a great way to make it truly feel like an upgraded piece of hardware compared to the Orbiter.

Moreover, this would allow for making the Railjack-only missions more interesting - whether that's hunting for Orokin relics in asteroid fields, or gleefully interfering in fleet battles.

• 2 weeks later...

Crewmate AI desparately needs to be improved to make solo RJ missions fun.
Either that, or:
Make AI crewmates remotely controllable in some way.

They straight up refuse to do the 2nd RJ crew main objective (usually shooting at an exposed radiator), until you teleport back to your Railjack and the AI suddenly
decides to shoot at the objective
or you exit whatever place you're in and do it with your Archwing.

• 4 weeks later...