Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Host Migrated During EDA.

MrDugan

I could not be angrier at a video game than I am right now.  Last 3 conduits of the last mission.  Horrible loadout choices, but I'm still pulling weight, and we're almost done.  It has been an absolute slog this week.  Host migration.  I get stuck solo.  Screw it, we'll do it live.  I had a key in my hand when we got migrated.  It let me use that one, and I got it done.  There was a key on the ground, but it wouldn't let me pick it up.  I stayed in that mission for another good 10 minutes without a key drop.  Whole mission bugged, had to abort, now I have to do the whole goddamn thing again.

EDA is full of horrible design choices.  The randomizer is anti-fun.  The 3 in a row, no progress saved is a recipe for disaster when you have netcode this bad.  I now have to go back through the same slow, boring slog of using weapons I don't like against bullet sponge enemies just to do the 2, TWO, T W O conduits THAT YOU WOULDN'T LET ME FINISH.  This isn't on me.  I ran the 6th conduit solo.  I absolutely could have finished that without issue.  I stayed for far longer than 2 conduits should have taken.  Again, proof that I could finish it.  Yet I had to abort this stupid mission because it broke.  From your infamously awful host migrations.

Let people choose to host.  Fix host migrations.  Stop slapping the randomizer in everything.  Save actual mission completion progress.  "But it's harder this way."  No.  It's not.  All it does is create a situation where you are forced to slog back through something you've already done, FOR NO REWARD, just to complete 2 conduits.  Yes, I kept the rewards from the completed missions.  Now I get to play them again for literally nothing because DE screwed up.  Not me.  The game.  The devs.  There are no words for how much I utterly loathe re-doing something.  And that's all 90% of this will be.

Edited by MrDugan
  • Like 3

Host migrations in EDA are horrifying. Especially if you play in non-full teams with friend(s), pick your loadout to complement each other and work around the horrible options you got. But then host migration might literally ruin the whole run for one of you (or everyone). I had a run where my friend was using Titania, there was no operator available and there was an Alchemy round. He literally couldn't do anything once we got separated, because Titania can't carry ampules in moth-mode, and his loadout just wasn't suited to survive outside of it...

I understand that connection can be a fickle thing, but at the very least allow us to try to reconnect to each other if host migration happened (or about to happen). We can rejoin to the same session if the game crashed, but for some reason we can't rejoin after host migration... Don't think it should be that hard to implement either, since the rejoining mechanism already exists.

4 hours ago, MrDugan said:

Let people choose to host.  Fix host migrations.  Stop slapping the randomizer in everything.  Save actual mission completion progress. 

That is sadly never going to happen. It is not about the fact that entire mechanism and netcode would have to be rewritten, but simply due to the fact this would require servers to host certain data and maitaining servers (and bandwidth) costs money monthly and this game is F2P.

It may be furstrarting at time, but things like that also can happen irl. Deal with it or move on.

Edited by Zakkhar

Sadly host migrations are not always voluntary, power may cut out, laptop battery dies, phone battery dies (yes this can happen now). There is a multitude of reasons a host migration can occur. There is also a multitude of reasons why a p2p system was chosen in the first place, mind you this game came out as open beta in october 2012 and officially in march of 2013. This time frame had many p2p game releases with the same issues, another similarity is that some of these games were still being played even though they were not updated since 2015 (CoD BO2). It was likely the best option at the time and may no longer be the best option

• Like 1

Just got kicked from host migration at the end of a netracell. Why is this still a thing?

Also before someone quotes me with a long explanation about netcode I don't care. 99% of people do not care. Fix it.

Edited by Quest
  • Like 3