Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Facility 856416, The Dissection Labs

Papa_Nuk_Nuk

Woah I just burned my way through the logs and like em. One thing is still bothering me though, is she/he also studying the outer shell and how the tenno fuel themselves? I mean you've gotta admit how does the the orokin artifacts (Mods) interact with the biological parts?

The outer shell is the Warframe itself, she's just studying the effects of the usage of the powers of the frames on the users of the frames.  The mods won't leave a permanent mark, but the abilities will, as the Tenno can remove and change mods at will.  I'm assuming each Tenno uses one frame, as I don't think a Nekros could fit in a Rhino.

Dissection Log #6

Hello again, I'm back after a little bit.  Recently, we've been swamped with reports of new technology, including something related to infested projectile bio-weapons and an intimidating but not very effective (against our shields, at least) flak cannon made by the Dogs.  I have a new specimen, and this one was found deep within a Derelict ship, hanging precariously off of an Infested vine near a broken transit line of more, empty, cryopods.  Regardless, this one is a "Nekros" class warframe, and honestly, it looks quite creepy.  Something feels wrong with this specimen.

The suit came off with relative ease, however, when the parts separated from around the warframe, a light, white, mist-like substance diffused into the air from the seal points.  It quickly faded, but I told a member of my team to run an atmospheric analysis, just in case.  In addition, I checked to ensure my helmet was hermetically sealed against any foreign particles and the dedicated air supply was functioning properly.  After the incident with the “Saryn” class warframe, we can’t be too careful. 

When the specimen was laid out on the table, two things were immediately apparent to me.  One, the skin was stretched taut across the entire body, and there was a lack of muscle mass along the entire thing.  The second thing was that this Betrayer seemed far older than the norm.  The other shells had more… healthy… looking creatures, this one seemed malnourished and emaciated.  Perhaps this one was some sort of elder?

Something was… off…  I don’t know what or how, but something about the way this specimen is unsettles me.  I’m going to have to get my prodigy of an assistant to run an atmospheric test on the gasses released from this body.  Regardless, the appearance would not stop my procedure.  I opened the chest of the specimen with a Y-shaped incision, exposing its chest cavity to the air.  Once again, a light white mist floated out of it, and dissipated into the air.  I need to get a sample of that next time it does.  There seemed to be nothing of note in its chest, and as I moved lower to its abdominal cavity, I still could not find anything worth noting.  Other than the apparent age difference and the white mist, there was nothing different between this specimen and a normal Betrayer corpse… which means the white mist or age has everything to do with the Betrayer’s unique powers.

But I’m not nearly done yet.  I shifted my focus down the specimen’s arms, cutting a line all the way down it and peeling back the skin.  The bones were layered with less muscle than that of the other Betrayers, and although they may be as if not more dense as the other Betrayers’ muscles, these were very small, supporting the age theory.  There was, however, a noticeable scar on the outer edge of each arm, from the smallest finger to the elbow.  They were a perfect line each, and after following them down into the limb, exposed the tiniest vein of some sort of white, stone-like substance on the outer edge of a forearm bone.  I carefully removed a small section and sent it down to my assistants for processing.  This could be the key to the powers of this warframe.

I return my attention back to the head of the Betrayer, and I made an incision from the center of the eyes all the way over the head to the base of the back of the neck.  As I passed the cap of the head, I found a trio of small holes, about the size of a pinhead, in the skin.  I peeled the skin back towards the ears, and opened the entire head to the light, and the holes came with the skin.  Ahh, here’s the most likely culprit.  The entire specimen’s skull was covered in an oily, white substance, moving in swirls and patterns across it.  When I poked it with a probe, the substance shied away and when I brought my finger closer to it, the substance reached up, mimicking my finger’s shape.  This was going to be hard to collect.  I waited for a moment, thinking of ways to get the substance off for analysis, before deciding to do this the easy way.  I used my nano-scalpel to trace a circle around the base of the round part of the skull, and removed the ‘cap’, so aptly named, of the skull, with the substance still on it.  I passed that down for spectroscopy and more analysis. 

Finally, I was at the brain.  I split it in half, cutting through the corpus callosum, and cross sectioned it.  As I expected, there were white trimmings, the same color as the oily substance, interlaced with the rest of the wrinkles.  I idly traced one as I pondered.  What exactly did this specimen do, and how exactly did it do it?  There were obvious relations between the white substance and morphics, and an easily identifiable neural controller here.  However, what connection did the hands have?  Did they amplify signals, like in the Nyx?  Did they act as conductors, like in the Mag?  Regardless, I needed to get the analysis back on the air and the substance before I can make any conclusions regarding this one. 

May our ledgers become ocean, our margins C Centauri.

-Operator of Facility 856416 and Director of R&D, Jupiter

**Addendum** The atmosphere results and spectroscopy analysis of the oily substance are back in.  The oily substance is actually some sort of morphics, but it’s interlaced with nanobots, controlling the motions.  The atmospheric results came back with more nanobots and some sort of pheromone, made to over-stimulate the amygdala, activated by those nanobots.  Evidently, this Betrayer could use fear as a weapon, and probably create something out of those bots.  Some also seemed to have a magnetic field around them; I’d suppose enough in cohesion could actually pull smaller objects around.  Finally, there was the issue of the true purpose of the white substance.

**Addendum 2**  After researching a little bit and reading reports from the field regarding the “Nekros” class of warframe, I’ve hypothesized as to the purpose of the morphic-like substance.  It creates clones, shadows of the recently killed.  As far as I know, a crewman reported the Betrayer summoning, out of swarms of nanobots and white substance, what he called the “Shadows of the Dead”.  This substance links with the brain as a record, hence the way it “recorded” my finger, and releases the morphics through the arms and head to merge with the bots and form clones.  In addition, I’d wager the Betrayer could use the swarms as a weapon, bludgeoning enemies or something along those lines.

**Addendum 3** I’ve also been around the facility with my… colleague… a little.  He’s showing great interest in the dissections and is beginning to learn more about business and economics.  This may turn out well, and I’m hoping for the best.

Edited by Sadisticnerd

As always, a pleasure to read, and a great look at one of my favorite frames.

Only got one criticism: the style seems a bit inconsistant. One minute it's giving a very well-written after-report of her findings, the next you have sentences like "Ahh, here's the most likely culprit" which would be fine if this was like a transcript of her words throughout the examination, but in this sense it looks out of place (both in a tense sense and for the general sense of time in the story). It's something I've noticed before in your other entries.

As always, a pleasure to read, and a great look at one of my favorite frames.

Only got one criticism: the style seems a bit inconsistant. One minute it's giving a very well-written after-report of her findings, the next you have sentences like "Ahh, here's the most likely culprit" which would be fine if this was like a transcript of her words throughout the examination, but in this sense it looks out of place (both in a tense sense and for the general sense of time in the story). It's something I've noticed before in your other entries.

I have always felt like this is something between an after-report and a transcript of the words, as if she's making a verbal log while working.

Ill go back and tweak it if it souns too bad.

On the Nekros Warframe, my views are a bit different and I see him weirder than you do.

I expect him to be dead long ago and he's a zombie, but not a mindless zombie, an undead with high consciousness and intelligence, so he's already dead long ago before the Corpus "killed" him. But nonetheless, I am pretty pleased with the details and your writing skills. Great Job!

On the Nekros Warframe, my views are a bit different and I see him weirder than you do.

I expect him to be dead long ago and he's a zombie, but not a mindless zombie, an undead with high consciousness and intelligence, so he's already dead long ago before the Corpus "killed" him. But nonetheless, I am pretty pleased with the details and your writing skills. Great Job!

BURN THE LICH AT THE STAKE