Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Suggestion] Shotgun Mods

EirikAura

Ok, so after the issues following the Brakk nerf I thought maybe something along the lines of new shotty mods were due. There would need to be similar mods for secondary shottys too

Choke. This mod would decrease the spread giving more pellets on target. Would need a matching mod to increase the spread for those who want an AoE shotty.

Magnum Shell. Increases the range before falloff

Bird Shot. Increases the number of pellets but decreases the individual pellet damage. Could also have an opposite which decreased pellet numbers but increased damage

Critique welcome :)

Edited by EirikAura

Choke. This mod would decrease the spread giving more pellets on target. Would need a matching mod to increase the spread for those who want an AoE shotty.

That mod would be OP, in my opinion. The shotguns, even secondary ones as Brakk or Bronco, are made to be effective in close-range to not to lose any pellets due to spread. With this mod your are making a shotgun even better at close-range and usable at middle-range. Technically, it would be another Hornet Strike specifically for secondary shotguns.

Edited by Hawner

Seems like to everyone, anything that involves and improvement in the game mechanics, means it is OP in some way. People would just find reasons to call it OP just by simply having a weapon formaed 8 times, and then shooting it on a low level mission followed by persistant whining little pricks that cant understand the basic concept of this game.

Its a CO-OP, OP is part of its nature.

I think it would be sweet to have a mod called "Slug" Removes spread and damage fall off. Turing shotguns in to effective mid to long range sniper rifles, or assult cannons.

infact im gona make a seperate thred for just that.

Edited by GhostUnitVII

Seems like to everyone, anything that involves and improvement in the game mechanics, means it is OP in some way. People would just find reasons to call it OP just by simply having a weapon formaed 8 times, and then shooting it on a low level mission followed by persistant whining little pricks that cant understand the basic concept of this game.

Ok, then, riddle me this: What would you call something with a special feature that turns a good weapon in the proper hands into a godly-like army-annihilator weapon?

Ok, I exaggerated, but my point stands. Just as you said, and I quote, "It's a Co-op". That means that you fix your disadvantages with others's strengths. You are good at close-ranges, then your perfect mate is a long-ranged one; if you heal but have a low defense then your mate should be one that can protect you while you give him/her support... and so on. The shotgun is a close-range weapon. You know that it shoots pellets, right? each of those is like a bullet. If around 20 or 30 pellets would come out, get as far and as fast as a pistol bullet would and with the same accurancy then why would you even think about having a pistol in the fist place? Or a Sniper rifle? You simply wouldn't! you have a weapon that can shoot more ammo in a single trigger-pull than a machine-gun in 3 seconds and with the same precision as a damm sniper. But shotguns are not like that. The pellets come out, tend to spread and they lose velocity and power the more distance they have to go. you want to deal the best damage with it? Get as close as you can, better if you are able to count how many hairs there are in your enemy's nose, and shoot. All the pellets are for him and dealing the top damage it can give.

Reducing the Spread means that instead of losing some of them all will go in the same direction, and giving more pellets means more damage. So, technically what you are doing is doing more damage without any downside. That god-like weapon I was talking about earlier? That. Why would you do any Co-op if you can do things alone?

OP it's not part of it. It's part of nothing, for that matter. It's something that must be avoided.

choke would need a downside to not be OP

Agreed. Maybe a mix of two of the suggested mod? Less spread but also less pellets or less damage? That way you will deal a little less damage on your enemy but you will be sure, even at middle-range, that all the hits go for him. Less risky to use a shotgun.

Choke would not alter damage dealt or falloff. Choke plus magnum would reduce spread and falloff but that's 2 mod slots gone and it would be a high-cost combo. With the existing mods out there you would have to either give up any elemental or give up damage multipliers to get this.

Just using choke would mean you have a close-med range killer but with a shottys low ammo and reload. It's not a sniper by any means. Magnum would not enable sniping, it would enable effective fire at a longer than current range. 

Give Magnum 5 levels and increase range before falloff by 1m per level. 15-25m range instead of 10-20. What's so OP about that?

Choke could be 5 levels, with 5% reduction per level.

These are not OP. These are common sense, and related to RL shotty kit.

choke would need a downside to not be OP

The downside is that you take up a mod slot and the points that could be used for other mods.

Let's say you have Hek with Point Blank, Flechette, Disruptor, Accelerated Blast, Tactical Pump, Hell's Chamber, Shotgun Spazz and Shell Compression. All of the points have been used and you want to add Choke. You have to choose one of the equipped mods to get rid of and as a result, you will lose some DPS. That's the downside...