Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Shotgun Falloff

MagnumX

Now, please don't look at me in terms of the Brakk nerf complaining thing that dominated a good portion of last week, I own one, but that's all i am going to say about that annoying little argument.

The other day i was playing another shooter where i enjoy using shotguns and something occured to me as i killed a mob at long range by having a single pellet clip away the last of thier helath at about 60 yards. The whole concept of damage falloff in shotguns makes no sense, they are close combat weapons, i know, but what makes them less efficient at long range is the spread, the fact that past a certin range they simply won't get hit by the whole shell of pellets. The stacked effects of both spread and falloff really gimps shotguns in a way they don't deserve, this especially highlighted by the current lack of falloff bug on the Bronco series, which have such a massive spread that they are almost useless beyond point blank unless you are shooting something with very little health or a large group. Other guns don't lose damage at a range, it's not like gravity works harder on shotgun pellets than sniper shots so i really can't figure out why we have this in our shotguns, would someone please explain the logic behind the original decison for this? Because i can't see it.

TL;DR shotgun damage falloff doesn't make sense because what makes them less effective at range is thier spread.

well technically a gun has to distribute the pushing force across all of the pellets reducing the maximum velocity that they can reach there by reducing their lethalness at longer ranges. compared to a sniper which can put all that force behind 1 bullet giving it way more energy and flight distance.

regardless, I agree shotgun damage fall off shouldn't be as heavy as it is now. your damage should come from the number of pellets hitting the target and not the distance from the target. in both cases it's best to be close to your target but still the point remains the same