Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Thing With Platinum

Marshall

I'm surprised how many responses I got in so little time. Let's see what we've got here...

Uh Excalibur Prime is the same as normal Excalibur. No power bought here.

This is not true, Excalibur Prime has different stats compared to the non-prime version.

Yeah because I totally win the game with my Excalibur prime.

All you have to say about my post is this? What about other points what my topic actually is about?

Excalibur Prime, Skana Prime and Lato Prime were exclusive items handed out during a very large period of time (over 9 months) for those who chose to buy the founder packs. Other than having a different cosmetic appearence, they aren't much better than the normal variants (Excalibur Prime even more so. It doesn't even have different stats).

Digital Extremes has stated on several occasions that these items will not be made available again.

Looks like somebody didn't get what I am talking about. It is not about current availibility, it is about how we can get those items. In this case it was exclusively obtainable by spending real money.

In general, there is not a single answer so far, that covers the thread's topic. Most of you just complain about the P2W thing.

In addition, you can look up definitions of pay to win anywhere on the web. They slightly differ in wording, but in a nutshell it says that you can get functional items (in this case warframes, not like cosmetics) only via real money, what is (/was) the case for Warframe.

If you have a real look at my post any way, you'll notice that it is about ways off getting free platinum what is really weird in the case of this game. Please, somebody respond to this - at least one person so my faith in humanity can be restored.

regards

+ TRSS

I'm surprised how many responses I got in so little time. Let's see what we've got here...

This is not true, Excalibur Prime has different stats compared to the non-prime version.

All you have to say about my post is this? What about other points what my topic actually is about?

Looks like somebody didn't get what I am talking about. It is not about current availibility, it is about how we can get those items. In this case it was exclusively obtainable by spending real money.

In general, there is not a single answer so far, that covers the thread's topic. Most of you just complain about the P2W thing.

In addition, you can look up definitions of pay to win anywhere on the web. They slightly differ in wording, but in a nutshell it says that you can get functional items (in this case warframes, not like cosmetics) only via real money, what is (/was) the case for Warframe.

If you have a real look at my post any way, you'll notice that it is about ways off getting free platinum what is really weird in the case of this game. Please, somebody respond to this - at least one person so my faith in humanity can be restored.

regards

+ TRSS

Cali prime has the same stats, with the exception of slightly faster shield regen.

You don't need to see a maxed serration for plat.  Selling unleveled rare mods can net you between 5-20 plat easy.  20 for a warframe slot, 12 for two weapon slots.

You can earn and build any non cosmetic item for free.  Even alt helms since they started with alt stats.  Only cosmetic items that do not have game altering effects are plat only. 

Edited by Rankless

Excalibur Prime features an additional 18px-V.png polarity slot, a higher shield recharge, as well as a 18px-V.png Aura slot, rather than a slot without a polarity, but is otherwise identical to the Excalibur.

Just FYI for everyone. I still don't think this qualifies as pay to win, but hey I paid so my opinion may be biased.

I also happen to think that if you want some platinum trade for it. Do a vault run and put the unleveled mod up in the trading channel. Someone will be willing to pay for it.

Edited by xRufus7x

Excalibur Prime features an additional 18px-V.png polarity slot, a higher shield recharge, as well as a 18px-V.png Aura slot, rather than a slot without a polarity, but is otherwise identical to the Excalibur.

Just FYI for everyone. I still don't think this qualifies as pay to win, but hey I paid so my opinion may not be biased.

Exactly.  And polarities for an argument are thrown right out the window with formas that can be acquired so easily in void runs.

Pasted from the Wiki, but I am still glad that at least one guy pays attention to the thread's content :D thx for that btw

Exactly.  And polarities for an argument are thrown right out the window with formas that can be acquired so easily in void runs.

How can Formas be acquired by Void runs? As I know, they cannot.

First of all you must obtain the blueprints for Forma, have/get the required components, build the two Formas, apply one to Excalibur, rank him to 30, apply the other Forma, rank him again to 30 and still don't have the same as Excalibur Prime. This is not easy nor motivating for the player.

Thinking twice before posting something might save some respect.

regards

+ TRSS

Anything can be acquired over time.  Previously there was a low % chance of formas to drop along side with forma prints.  I think it was something like 1.8%, and 38.2% respectively.  I have not had a forma drop since U11 I think though, it may have been U10?

We are thinking.  We just don't think much of entitlement to polarities any more.  One you collect and max frames you usually polarize them more frequently since there are so many more weapons than frames.  2-5+ forma per frames for a lot of players depending if they like it.

Edited by Rankless

How can Formas be acquired by Void runs? As I know, they cannot.

First of all you must obtain the blueprints for Forma, have/get the required components, build the two Formas, apply one to Excalibur, rank him to 30, apply the other Forma, rank him again to 30 and still don't have the same as Excalibur Prime. This is not easy nor motivating for the player.

Thinking twice before posting something might save some respect.

regards

+ TRSS

I am pretty sure he is talking about the blueprints which are pretty liberally provided, and do require crafting to use, but forma do have a small drop chance in void missions as well. I have only ever had one drop, but it does happen.

Edited by xRufus7x

Honestly your post seems to be relatively misinformed.

Excalibur Prime is relatively little more than a cosmetic change. The different polarities can be achieved through forma for the vanilla Excalibur, and the additional boosts of energy you get in the Void are so situational they can hardly be considered Pay To Win.

The definition of Pay to Win is that you can purchase items in game that give an unfair disadvantage in game, and cannot be achieved or are very hard to achieve through free to play methods. An example would be if DE released AkBrakk but it was either only in the Plat market or 1% chance in T3 Defence. There are no examples of such Pay to Win in Warframe, only pay-to-skip-the-grind.

On the subject of Platinum, I'm afraid that is how F2P models work my man. The company has to make money somehow, and in my personal opinion I think they are rather generous on the subject of Plat as it is.

Weekly events giving out Plat.

Weekly Prime Time livestreams giving out Plat.

Fortnightly Dev livestreams giving out Plat.

Discounts from login rewards (most available in days 1-3 by the way) for Plat.

Occasional Plat discounts (Black Friday/Cyber Monday)

Trading of Premium Currency.

Whilst the majority of those you might complain about, trading you simply cannot. Whilst the majority of those options require you to participate in something you may not be able to due to time restraints or time zone issues, trading is your answer.

Due to allowing the trade of Premium Currency, Warframe has given free players the option to grind themselves some decent mods and sell them for Platinum. Effectively, you can now earn premium currency through in game grind. This is really quite generous when you think about it, effectively as a free player, if you sunk enough time into the game you would never have to purchase any Platinum from DE to build yourself a full arsenal of Frames and Weapons.

To put it simply, I completely disagree with you. There is not even a hint of Pay 2 Win in Warframe, and DE's standpoint on Platinum is really quite lenient. If you don't even want to sink some time into the game to earn a mod to sell for Plat, then woe betide you for playing a Free to Play game.

Edit: Oh and I forgot, Forma is a relatively common reward from T3 void missions (it's actually complained about by those who frequent the void) and a rare reward from Logins. Also, potatoes are given out fortnightly, in events and alerts, so it's hard to complain there.

Edited by TunaMayo

TRSS Excalibur prime is pretty much an exlusive skin for people who backed the game when starting up and DE promised them not to make it available again why gripe about it let the founders have their prime it is not that big a deal unless you really want the mastery points from the stuff that badly?

Edited by OmegaDrago

I understand that DE's situation does not allow much generosity concerning platinum - they can really use some real money - but F2P is also about making it fun for players who cannot afford purchasing real money game currency.

On the subject of Platinum, I'm afraid that is how F2P models work my man. The company has to make money somehow, and in my personal opinion I think they are rather generous on the subject of Plat as it is.

Weekly events giving out Plat.

Weekly Prime Time livestreams giving out Plat.

Fortnightly Dev livestreams giving out Plat.

Discounts from login rewards (most available in days 1-3 by the way) for Plat.

Occasional Plat discounts (Black Friday/Cyber Monday)

Trading of Premium Currency.

Whilst the majority of those you might complain about, trading you simply cannot. Whilst the majority of those options require you to participate in something you may not be able to due to time restraints or time zone issues, trading is your answer.

Due to allowing the trade of Premium Currency, Warframe has given free players the option to grind themselves some decent mods and sell them for Platinum. Effectively, you can now earn premium currency through in game grind. This is really quite generous when you think about it, effectively as a free player, if you sunk enough time into the game you would never have to purchase any Platinum from DE to build yourself a full arsenal of Frames and Weapons.

To put it simply, I completely disagree with you. There is not even a hint of Pay 2 Win in Warframe, and DE's standpoint on Platinum is really quite lenient. If you don't even want to sink some time into the game to earn a mod to sell for Plat, then woe betide you for playing a Free to Play game.

I still wait for an answer that deals with my topic.

To sum it up for you, you can earn platinum through grinding in game (earning and fusing rare mods) and trading. How does that not solve your problem?

My thoughts

Livestreams

Since there are Warframe players distributed worldwide, many people are not able to watch those due to different time zones (you might be forced to be at work, for instance).

Livestreams are not meant to be a source of platinum. They are a way for the players to keep up to date with the development of the game, get some questions answered and see some previews of things to come.

Contests

There are millions of Warframe members, only the minority is active at our forums, and then there are five fellas who actually win? Also, why not make 10 winners who can receive 500p each (instead of 5 guys with 1000p)?

Furthermore, DE has an awkward way of picking winners (yaya, based on creativity, bla bla).

A contest is just that. If everyone won Platinum it wouldn't be much of a contest, also the reward would suck, since everyone got it. Honestly I don't understand your concern about the number of winners. It's a contest. 5 is as good as any other number. Additionally it should not be perceived as a reliable source of Platinum.

Other games

Login rewards in Warframe are really a joke, even after more than one month of logging in every day continously, I get like weapon xp, 10% plat purchase discount, but nothing I would be happy about. Other games even offer to get the corresponding real money currency as login reward or for doing very well ingame (what is very motivating!).

Other "other" games provide no login rewards at all. While I wouldn't mind seeing Platinum added as a rare login reward I don't believe it is mandatory that it is included or detracts from the game in any way. Additionally there are currently Platinum discounts offered through the login rewards. THey are most common in the 1-3 day tier due to less overall items in this tier.

External platforms

I totally missed the Sweepstake event and I will never fully get what it was about since I do not have a Facebook account, but there are lots of other players who refuse to use Facebook. But this is not the point, the thing is that it is idiotic to direct players to other websites, forcing them to have an account (if they want to participate) although we already own a Warframe account what really should be enough for this purpose!

I know it is easy and for free to sign up on such platforms, but it causes the creation of zombie accounts in this context.

This is a marketing thing. Facebook basically amounts to free advertising. DE would be insane not to use it or try to drive traffic to it through sweepstakes. A game like this lives and dies off of word of mouth and cheep advertising. It is unlikely that you will ever see a Warframe commercial on TV. If you don't want to take place in the drawing that probably amounts to a 1 in 1000 chance of winning then that is fine, but don't be upset when DE doesn't send you a gift for not assisting them in drawing new players.

Dojo Trading Spots

If there exists the feasibility to trade for you (in order to earn platinum), things get pretty messy in Warframe. I don't mean to get too much into this matter, but I think one understands how difficult it can be to achieve a proper trade ingame.

Also, you should be an advanced player if you want to get a good amount of plat, I mean maxed Serration can be sold for 300p but how can a newbie get to this point?

You don't need a good amount of Platinum. 20 gets you a Warframe slot, 12 gets you two weapon slots, 50 gets you some nifty scarfs. You can easily trade a mod or mods for this value, and you can find people to trade through the forums or in game chat. While it may not be the most streamlined system in the world it does function. It is not DEs fault if you do not want to use it. As a side note this is your best method for getting Platinum if you are unwilling to play for it, and I recommend you use it if plat is that much of a concern for you.

Pay To Win?

Actually it is really amazing how many items can be obtained ingame without spending real money on Warframe, but Pay To Win means that there are items which can exclusively received via real currencies what is (or was) the case with Excalibur Prime (at least I don't know any way of getting his blueprints ingame) what technically makes Warframe a P2W title since players like me had no chance of getting this combat suit.

The comment that hijacked this thread. As others have stated Play to Win does not mean that you have access to everything in the game. IT means that people that are willing to pay have an advantage that free players can not overcome. Warframe's system is more based on Play to alleviate grind. Yah it is nice to have an Excalibur Prime with its extra polarity slots, but you can achieve comparable stats by applying forma. It takes longer but is still doable. As for the shield recharge it is there, but I can't notice the difference. So if I was using Excalibur Prime in a conclave match and my opponent was using Excalibur my shields would recharge a fraction of  a second faster. Hardly a massive advantage, and definitely does not break balance.

As for the Skana Prime, well it sucks, and the Lato Prime is midtier at best. Both are easily outperformed by ingame weapons that are accessible to all players. This would make them not play to win as any sane person is not taking these weapons on high level content.  They qualify as pay for bling.

As a point of refrence these three founder items and the Titan Extractor Prime are the only non cosmetic items that are available for cash only. And the Titan Extractor falls into the category of Pay to alleviate Grind.

The only other concern I could possibly think of is mastery level. At the rate DE is adding weapons, between 1 and 3 a week, and warframe, 1 to 2 a month, this really isn't a concern. Not to mention that the grind to 30 mastery will not be exclusive to founders, and we have no benefit in this regard. The time I took leveling my Skana Prime to 30 is time that was taken away from leveling another weapon.

I hope this answers your concerns more directly.

I hate those people with Excal Prime. Running Xini wave 200, soloing lvl 50 + Grineer mission, eating babies and disturbing world peace.

Yes, Excal Prime is so OP that game feels broken whenever i have in my session. And dont let me start about OP powers that they have, like insatkill everything in solar system, ride a moa, run at 2x Loki speed and worst of the all, 100000 credits per minute generator.

Excal Prime is OP and should be given to everyone, even if that means angering the guys that basically founded this game. Let DE kick them in the nuts.

#SARCASM

Warframe can't be by any means P2W game because it's PvE game, not PvP.

I think that term you were looking for is "pay4fun" because there are elements of pay4fun

like the number of weapon slots, frame slots, etc. so you practically need to spend some cash

if you want to fully enjoy the game....